Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab coin/relic machine for nuggets?

Hello All,

I love panning for gold, and I recently acquired a used drywasher that I have yet to use, but I really want to try my hand at nugget-shooting. I don't have room in the budget right now to buy another metal detector, so I was considering using the Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro that I bought last year on Craigslist. (I only paid $200 for it.) The manual states that it excels in highly mineralized soil, and at least one of the 17 frequencies that it transmits on should be able to detect gold to a reasonable depth, so do I stand a snowball's chance in he11 of finding a nugget with this thing? (Assuming that I take the time to get to know the machine well of course.)

Internet research on this model brought up a lot of forum threads about doing a "180 Meter" modification to it. I'm handy with a soldering iron and a schematic, and if it would be worthwhile to rescale the meter I could do so easily. Any input on that subject would be appreciated as well.

I'm going to take it with me on my next Lynx Creek outing just to play around with it and to get to know it better. I'll take some lead shavings with me to experiment with also. (Maybe I'll even find some of those lost snuffer bottles.)

Rick

Hello All,

I love panning for gold, and I recently acquired a used drywasher that I have yet to use, but I really want to try my hand at nugget-shooting. I don't have room in the budget right now to buy another metal detector, so I was considering using the Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro that I bought last year on Craigslist. (I only paid $200 for it.) The manual states that it excels in highly mineralized soil, and at least one of the 17 frequencies that it transmits on should be able to detect gold to a reasonable depth, so do I stand a snowball's chance in he11 of finding a nugget with this thing? (Assuming that I take the time to get to know the machine well of course.)

Internet research on this model brought up a lot of forum threads about doing a "180 Meter" modification to it. I'm handy with a soldering iron and a schematic, and if it would be worthwhile to rescale the meter I could do so easily. Any input on that subject would be appreciated as well.

I'm going to take it with me on my next Lynx Creek outing just to play around with it and to get to know it better. I'll take some lead shavings with me to experiment with also. (Maybe I'll even find some of those lost snuffer bottles.)

Rick

Rick I found a 3-grammer with a Garrett Ace 250 once at about 3", so anything is possible. If it's big enough and shallow enough a $99 Radio Shack model will get it! The Boot of Cortez comes to mind. Unfortunately, you would be better served by a Goldbug II or Lobo SuperTraq, as most of the gold left up there is sub-gram. Good Luck! - Terry

Rick I found a 3-grammer with a Garrett Ace 250 once at about 3", so anything is possible. If it's big enough and shallow enough a $99 Radio Shack model will get it! The Boot of Cortez comes to mind. Unfortunately, you would be better served by a Goldbug II or Lobo SuperTraq, as most of the gold left up there is sub-gram. Good Luck! - Terry

Terry,

I also have a Garrett Ace 250. If you had both and intended to take only one of them, which would you take?

Rick

Terry,

I also have a Garrett Ace 250. If you had both and intended to take only one of them, which would you take?

Rick

The Minelab, without question! Finding that little nugg with the Ace 250 was pure luck. - Terry

Well, It took it out to Lynx Creek yesterday (Friday) for a few hours and didn't find any gold with it. I did find quite a few bullet fragments though, as well as other trash. Finding the lead fragments is encouraging. They were often accompanied by other metallic trash in low pockets were the heavies gather. The area where I searched gets hit pretty much daily.

I bought a large backpack yesterday that was listed on Craigslist. I intend to make it into a prospecting backpack so that I can take my gear in deeper, away from the popular parking areas.

Hi Rick,

The Sov is one the best "coin/relic" detectors ever made.

It is also about the only one I'd use for gold nuggets.

Invest in a 5" DD EXcelerator II / EQ2 Pro Search coil and be amazed!

BTW they are submersible (the coil).

Good Luck and Have fun!

nvchris

Hi Rick,

The Sov is one the best "coin/relic" detectors ever made.

It is also about the only one I'd use for gold nuggets.

Invest in a 5" DD EXcelerator II / EQ2 Pro Search coil and be amazed!

BTW they are submersible (the coil).

Good Luck and Have fun!

nvchris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the input. I'll do some research on that coil. The Sovereign will have to do for about a year until some "toy money" is in the budget. I think that I can have better results both panning and nugget shooting if I can get in to some areas that aren't so heavily worked. The area where I tried the Sovereign is the same area I'd been to two weeks earlier, and it was unrecognizable. You would have thought that a magnitude-9 earthquake had rearranged the boulders. Prospectors are an industrious and hard-working bunch if nothing else.

Some of the lead fragments that I found with the Sovereign were pretty small, and I could easily imagine finding gold of equal size. Regardless, I learn a little bit every time I go out. (And I also learn from the wealth of knowledge available on this and other prospecting forums.)

Rick