Nugget Shooter Forums

DSCN0144t.jpg

First find 72.1g :thumbsupanim

DSCN0146t.jpg

53.1g second find

Also found two small irons 1 at 0.2g and the other at 0.3g

Good day, lots of walking.

Jason had a good day too...well until he got back to searchlight!

Jim

Hey Jim,

Nice finds... congrats... Sure can see the chondrules on the surface, they sure are beauties.. Hiking a few miles off the trail you still can find some nice ones. Oh.. P.S. the first picture you cut off the gps, you might want to correct that... hehe.. :)

Dave

Aloha Jim,

Excellent finds guy!:thumbsupanim Bet you clocked in some mileage today.

Like Dave said, you really need to work on your photography work and make sure you give us the "whole picture".:inocent:

Can hardly wait to see what Jason found. Hope nothing bad happened at Searchlight!:hmmmmm:

Aloha and stay safe as usual.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hi Jim,

Nicely done. Is everything okay with Jason in Searchlight?

Ben

He is okay...but he will probably tell the story!

Jim

Hey Jim,

Nice finds... congrats... Sure can see the chondrules on the surface, they sure are beauties.. Hiking a few miles off the trail you still can find some nice ones. Oh.. P.S. the first picture you cut off the gps, you might want to correct that... hehe.. :)

Dave

Thanks all! Yep...Franconia is a physical adventure and lots of hard swinging. Did y'all notice the different colors of the finds in the in situ pictures? This was not a camera illusion, they are actually different colors! Both stones found 1000 yds apart on the North side, the first one by sight and the second I swung over.

We arrived in the Franconia area at sun up. Jason was ahead of me by about 5 minutes. We hunted the South side for about an hour in a specific area and skunked there, so moved on to the North road, parked and hiked in. Jason went one way and I went the another. All toll, we had about 9 hours of ground pounding + drive time and Jason can fill you in on his drive time.

Well, it looks like Team Hershey is planning some trips to new hunting fields. Should be an adventure!

Jim

Howdy folks, well another hunt at Franconia and another adventure. As Jim stated it was a good day and finding meteorites makes it that much better. The interesting thing down there is, that no matter how many times I go there, I always seem to find a 'new' spot to hunt. I'm not sure why that is, but have I really been expanding the area and having a blast.

As for the details of the hunt, Jim went one way, Wendy another, and I another. The spot I started working payed off, but only in little finds I spent most of the day finding little irons, with only a few chondrites to add to the flavor. It was fun, the temp wasn't too bad, the winds at times was difficult, but manageable. My total finds ended up as follows; 3 chondrites, 28 irons, and 1 questionable piece of something. It looks like a molten piece of meteorite, but fused to something else, similar to a host rock. That one needs further investigation. The weights are from 37, 9.0, 4.2, 2.4 grams, and from 0.4 grams down to not readable on the scale. Here is the pic.

DSC07606.jpg

Now the rest of the story. Upon returning to the truck after the hunt, I had my video camera in my pocket and placed it on the bumper of the truck, while unloading my pocket of rocks. I always like picking up nice pieces of chalcedony for the kids and my students. After putting the rocks in the truck bed, and loading my equipment in the truck, I went to talk to Jim and Wendy. After sharing our finds and experiences, we left. But, I forgot to grab the camera. Needless to say, I left and started to return home. As I was driving and almost to Bolder City, 20 minutes from my house, I realized what had happened. I called Jim, and asked if Wendy had noticed my camera or better yet where I might have placed it. She didn't but I did. Sooooo, a long story short, I drove back out to Franconia and retraced my steps to find the camera. Luckily, it was placed on the drivers side of the bumper, and when it dropped off, it was on the side of the road, a few yards from where we had parked. I managed to get home last night around 10:15 pm, after leaving the field at 4pm. I'm thankful that it was in good shape and close by to where we parked. What a day....The funny part was, that I didn't even use it and could have left it in the truck to begin with....Happy Hunting!!!!! Jason ;)

Aloha Jason,

Awesome finds my friend! Looks like you ran across an "iron field" and really cleaned it up. I love running into those every now and then. It gives me a chance to give my ears an opportunity to get in tune with my brain.

Looks like you guys all had a great day out there at Franconia. Glad to hear you found your camera. Bet that was the "best find of the day".:thumbsupanim

Aloha and be safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey Jay,

Great finds, a lot of irons... congrats on both you and Jims finds. Sucks about the camera, lots of road time for you. Sounds like a good day though.

Dave

Hi Jason,

Great finds. Glad you retreived the camera. Could you post a close-up photo of the "questionable piece of something" that looks like a molten piece of meteorite fused to rock. Sounds very interesting. Who knows, what it could be.

Ben

Jim and Jason, Very nice finds guys!! Jim your cleaning up and I bet the foot odometer shows it!! Probably foot odorometer too! :zapped: Jason just where are you finding all them irons, and from your previous hunt too, WOW!!! Oh yea I cleaned carpets this weekend, big grumble, but I'm bail'n the next, yes. Good Luck Hunting! Doesn't look like you'll really be need'n it, Outstanding!!

All, thanks for the comments, and next time I'll leave the camera in a better spot. Not to mention, I'll leave a phone number in it, so whoever finds it can call me...

Ben, here is the suspect iron/stone/terrestrial piece I found. It looks like an iron, that was molten and grabbed a piece of host rock. Highly magnetic, found where all the irons were found, but the inside seems to be something other that meteoritic. Not sure on this one. Jason ;)

DSC07619.jpg

DSC07612.jpg

DSC07611.jpg

For some reason, Photo bucket is being temperamental with my pics... Let's see if these work better. Jason ;)

DSC07620.jpg

DSC07618.jpg

Nice haul Jason! You sure seem to be dialed in. Ive never had a had a huge day like that, must be alot of fun... Terry

Terry, it was a lot of fun :ROFL: . Those irons are pretty cool, and have some unique characteristics. I've spent days hunting an area close to that of half a football field for irons and loving every minute. Plus, it saves on the wear and tear of my body :olddude: ... Jason ;)

Terry, it was a lot of fun :ROFL: . Those irons are pretty cool, and have some unique characteristics. I've spent days hunting an area close to that of half a football field for irons and loving every minute. Plus, it saves on the wear and tear of my body :olddude: ... Jason ;)

Terry and all!

Jason hunts like the EverReady Bunny!happy0193[1].gif I was North of him about 1 mile and could see him hunting through out the day as I came up for air to look around from the tops of hills I was crossing. I'd see him one time on the South end of a hill, then 20 minutes later in the middle of the hill, then 20 minutes later on the North side of the hill. Hard to spot too.

Jason was the first to score that day. And we shared the finds on the radio. I learned later, when we got together out in the field how many he had found! He stopped reporting after the 4th find so I would not feel so bad! It think my last words were "You Dog"!:rolleyes:

Nearing the end of the hunt we ended up meeting in the field before hunting back to the trucks...which were about a mile away from where we met. First thing that happened is we looked at each other and realized how sore and tired we both were. My feet hurt and Jason's back hurt (Well DUH! Bending over to pick up that many meteorites!!!happy0193[1].gif). The hunts there are tough, but the rewards are worth it! Wendy and Hershey were already back at the trucks.

As soon as Wendy's beeper gets back from repair, we are heading back. Triple digit temps this week....should be fun!!

If you look at the market, those irons tend to be worth more than the OC's. So even though they are small, it's hard to pass them up when searching for the big ones. They do, however, ruin a plan to find the big ones, but as Jason said, they are fun. One of my goals there is to find one over 2 grams. I've come close, but those 2 gram plus irons are tough! If you like nugget hunting, you'd have a blast with these irons!

Jim

Jim/ Jason

Great job! :wubu: Unfortunately I was there Monday and Tuesday hunting like a dog, and came out empty handed. :*&$*(:

Well, it must be time to report that Jim and Jason cleaned out the place. The signs will be posted at the freeway exit

CLOSED, due to lack of meteorites. Notice will be sent to Stan by special delivery. :cry2:

Richard aka kgmrg :inocent:

Jim/ Jason

Great job! :wubu: Unfortunately I was there Monday and Tuesday hunting like a dog, and came out empty handed. mad0229[1].gif

Well, it must be time to report that Jim and Jason cleaned out the place. The signs will be posted at the freeway exit

CLOSED, due to lack of meteorites. Notice will be sent to Stan by special delivery. :cry2:

Richard aka kgmrg :inocent:

Aloha Rich,

i still have a couple of hunting :inocent: spots i failed to mention to anyone! I am sure jim and jason may have thought about them BUT they are way out of the way sooooooooo. . . :zip-lip:

Hold of on posting any signs just yet.

aloha,

Stan aka kaimi