Nugget Shooter Forums

Need some opinions, please!!!

Gold Bug Pro or Eureka Gold?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. If there were only these two detectors available to consumers, which would you choose, and why?

• Fisher Gold Bug Pro
    • Minelab Eureka Gold

I am in quite a dilemma. I have the opportunity to trade a 2 month old Fisher Gold Bug Pro +$400 for a brand new Eureka Gold from an authorized Minelab Dealer. I know each unit has it's pros and cons, but would like to get some input from members on the subject. Thanks for your participation in advance.

Still working on pro testing-got ill and had to stop-BUT it does not like hot areas/hot rocks in any way shape or form--GB2 worked fine and pro screamed like a rabid environut--sorry you said which but........ :unsure: John

I am in quite a dilemma. I have the opportunity to trade a 2 month old Fisher Gold Bug Pro +$400 for a brand new Eureka Gold from an authorized Minelab Dealer. I know each unit has it's pros and cons, but would like to get some input from members on the subject. Thanks for your participation in advance.

"Dilemma?" More like a "no brainer," in my never humble opinion! Minelab baby - all the way! - Terry

John:

Watch the bar meter on the lower left. If it goes to the top its a hot rock (iron)

It will also give a smoother beep then metal which is sharp.

Im still digging all targets but learning that it does a good job at "saying what it is"

Gum

if it was a gb2 it would be a harder choice but thats not the case so ill tell ya i found a nice bit of gold with the eureka that i got from Bill years back its like a baby gpx. it wont get the super tinny ( were talking dust ,like the gb2)stuff but it will handle hot ground and punch deep (for a vlf) like its big brothers.

Thanks everyone for the input. I actually got to test out a brand new Eureka Gold today out in the field. After getting a hands on with it, I have no choice but to go with the Minelab. Not sure if anyone is interested, but the reasons for me deciding to go that route are as follows:

1. It is a lot lighter than I figured it would be.

2. It is well balanced with the control box mounted right under the forearm cup.

3. I really appreciate the 3 different frequencies.

4. Audio Signal Boost

5. The ability to change the pitch of the tone is awesome.

6. And most importantly for me, the "whistling" style of threshold instead of that obnoxious "buzz" on the Fisher is hands down the best thing for my hearing.

I suffer from tinnitus and that buzz gives me a headache in no time at all. Don't get me wrong, the GB Pro finds gold ( I found my first and only nugget with it) and is a cinch to use, but it is time for it to go bye-bye. She is going up on the chopping block tonight. Happy hunting everyone.

Chris,

I hate to disagree with the other guys, BUT, after about 8000 hours hunting gold over the last 15 years, and using and finding gold with, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Minelabs XT18000, Golden Hawk, and Eureka Gold I would have to say the Gold Bug 2 has gotten 10 pieces to every 1 piece the other detectors have found.

Before you do the deal be sure to try the Gold Bug 2 in the field.

On the Eureka you will only use two frequencies, and you definitely want to hunt in fixed ground balance. So constantly flipping the ground balance switch is a real pain. You won't use Audio Boost much as it sounds like every thing is a target. And it is way bigger and heavier than either Gold Bugs.

I used a Eureka for 6 years in Nevada, Arizona, and N. Calif.

Goldbug Ron

Chris,

I hate to disagree with the other guys, BUT, after about 8000 hours hunting gold over the last 15 years, and using and finding gold with, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Minelabs XT18000, Golden Hawk, and Eureka Gold I would have to say the Gold Bug 2 has gotten 10 pieces to every 1 piece the other detectors have found.

Before you do the deal be sure to try the Gold Bug 2 in the field.

On the Eureka you will only use two frequencies, and you definitely want to hunt in fixed ground balance. So constantly flipping the ground balance switch is a real pain. You won't use Audio Boost much as it sounds like every thing is a target. And it is way bigger and heavier than either Gold Bugs.

I used a Eureka for 6 years in Nevada, Arizona, and N. Calif.

Goldbug Ron

He didn't have a Goldbug II Ron, it was one of the new models.. - Terry

Terry,

Read my comments again. I was referring to the Eureka Gold, and simply stating that I believe the GB2 is a superior gold finding machine. I realize he was referring to the GB Pro vs. Eureka.

Goldbug Ron