Nugget Shooter Forums

Sniping on my Claim!

Jerico

Hi guys, finally went out to test the waters on my claim and freeze my azz off :yuk-yuk:

The trip at first started badly when right off the bat I lost my blue sniffer tube for picking up gold out of cracks. The water is still running fast and I made a rookie mistake not watching where i put it. Well it probably is somewhere in the Sacramento river by now as i couldn`t find it. :tisk-tisk:

Still i didn`t want to give up so I went to some bedrock I worked last year with the highbanker. It is underwater right now so I decided to check it out. Well right off the bat I saw a nugget , about a 8 grainer just sitting there in a crack i had worked previously dry. Well this crack is loaded with gold, Not having a snuffer tube i couldn`t get much of the small stuff but the nuggets I could easily pick up on the bedrock!

In total i found 2.93 grams of gold, nice stuff. The crack still has a lot of gold in it and I hated to leave it there believe me. However most likely no one will no where i was since its on a claim in a canyon. Even though i highbanked this whole area I missed a lot of gold and there is a lot more to look back on. I cant wait to get back there to take advantage of the high water.

Lesson learned here is bring 2 snuffer tubes so this doesn`t happen to you because it really sucks to leave gold behind when you see it there!!! :yuk-yuk:

Jerry

post-23143-0-51220900-1304198880_thumb.j

At least your snuffer didnt have gold in it. Two summers ago I sent my snuffer with my days take of gold down the river!

Jerico,

Chances are after you do clean that crack out the next high water will wash some more gold down into it. I've heard stories about spots guys go and clean out again and again, year after year, that just keep filling up with gold.

Be sure to keep an extra snuffer bottle with you next time.

Paul

:*&$*(: All I got to do on my claim yesterday was pick up trash,repost 11 missing claim signs and video claimjumpers and fill in dozens of holes so I don't get blamed for haz conditions --kudos---John <_<

Wish I could say I have a claim but then, maybe not... Sounds like it's more trouble then it's worth..

You know I have never had any real problems at all having 2 claims. Someone took my buckets once and a weightbelt but that was over a year ago and i never see a soul down here.

About the gold, Some of it definately could of been deposited this year as the water was higher than I even seen it before. The area I highbanked is completely washed out pretty much. This crack is a little over a 1/4 inch wide moving vertical with the water. I only worked about a 2 foot stretch of this because there was no reason to keep going and not able to pick it out. The crack still goes deeper too so maybe some bigger pieces in there.

I did work this area dry but obviously not that well and usually dont highbank but since the dredge ban i have had no choice in the matter.

The history of this area is pretty good for gold.

Years ago I hit an 1/3 ounce pocket about 50 feet below where I am working and a guy the same year found 5 ounces in a 2 day period right in the water where I was using a 3 inch dredge.

Anyway thanks for the good words!

Reading about your snuffer bottle floating downstream reminds me of a couple of my own that took similar voyages. I occasionally wonder how common this occurrence is. I also wonder how many of those wayward vessels gets rescued -- and how far away...

Reading about your snuffer bottle floating downstream reminds me of a couple of my own that took similar voyages. I occasionally wonder how common this occurrence is. I also wonder how many of those wayward vessels gets rescued -- and how far away...

G'Day Jerico, Martin and Members

Sad about the snuffer bottles. I'd be more interested in how much is in those snuffer bottles before they were allowed to float down stream like a rubber ducky. Keep working those cracks Martin, if you don't I will.

Cheers

Johnno

I used to take a length of paracord and tie it around the snuffer bottle neck then leave about a foot of cord then tied it to one of those 12" long tweezers. In mellow water, the tweezers worked very well as an anchor and in fast water I just slid the tweezer under the sleeve of my wetsuit......

I just wanted to say that searching all week you CANNOT find any bulb snifters to be had. I ordered 2 from keene and the next day they called me saying they didn`t have any and do not know when they will get some. I have tryed calling mining stores everywhere, internet and everybodys out and backordered.

WTF.... Nobody has this all important tool for sniping.

I had to improvise and make one out of a turkey baister. It works, i think , but still kind of sucks.

You would think with no dredging in Cali they would at least stock items like this. Its crazy.

Oh well guess I need some big tweezers instead :rolleyes:

Jerry

Hey Jerry, something better than a turkey baster. Automotive battery plunger, you can get them at Harbor Freight or automotive stores really cheap. The trick is to install a brass/copper tube 1/4" through the plungers tube so the brass/copper tube extends past the opening in the bulb. Like the one you lost, also allow a little bit of the brass/copper tube to extend a little on the suction end of the spout. You now have a Snuffer bulb or Suction bulb. This plunger has a eyelet attached just below the rubber bulb. This is great for attaching a lead fishing weight so to not allow the Snuffer bulb to float away. A 3-ounce weight may be all you need. Good Luck Jack

Thanks Jack,

I might have to go to Harbor frieght tonight and check em out. I did the copper thing to the baister you described and it works. Maybe though the battery one is bigger than the turkey one. I will give it a shot tommorrow and hopefully post some more pics.

Jerry

A ketsup bottle with 3" of fish tank hose stuffed in the tip works great. Costs about 25 cents.

The best gold vacuum is a baby food jar (or mason jelly jar) with two lengths of fish tank hose in the lid. Suck on one, vacuum up the gold with the other. Works great for cleaning out cracks as well as the gold pan.