Nugget Shooter Forums

ID

Hi Doug-

Did you do a streak test on it? Can you provide some details on the location of where it was found?

Steve

Thanks for the reply Goldfinger. The rock was found in a pit just north of Dutch Flat, CA. It was found about 3 years ago while nugget hunting.

I thought at first it was a piece off the tip of a pick but after cleaning up recently, it looked very strange. Looks as though it is made up of strands of metal embedded in rock.

I'm not sure what a streak test is? Please enlighten.

http://www.minerals.net/resource/property/Streak.aspx

My very first impression was a piece of metal from years ago as it doesn't look natural to me. Anyway- do the streak test and post the results.

Steve

Ok, this is the streak test made with different exposed parts of the rock. A shiny surface and a rusty brown colored surface. These are duplice photos.

post-24008-0-60550600-1303871601_thumb.j

post-24008-0-00222300-1303871623_thumb.j

Hi Doug-

What color is the streak on the one with the shiny surface? Silver? Gray? White? Can't tell on this monitor.

Can do a hardness test which may or may not narrow it down.

http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/education/lessons/act20.htm

Steve

The lighter color streak is more of a silver to grey, more silver and has some light reflecting specks. The brownish streak also has light reflecting specks.

By the way, when I first took this rock out of the Vinegar it was metallic looking, now it is taking on a black and brown look again.

I am still looking at the link you posted regarding hardness test.

Also I will post a photo of the rock as it looked after first digging.

Hi Doug-

Nice picture. This is probably one of those finds that can't be identified by looking at photos. Could be an iron mineral of some type. Or it could simply be something that's been rusting for decades. I lean towards the latter. Really hard to tell. :twocents: :shrug: :hmmmmm:

Steve