Nugget Shooter Forums

Remember your First?

My daughter, Lauryn, has been interested in Meteorites since 2006 when John B took us on a great Tucson tour. Lauryn has been adding a few meteorites to her collection each year we visit the Tucson show. This year when we visited Tucson, we stopped by the Meteorite Men shop and met Geoff and Steve. They tried to do an interview with her but she locked up and didn't say a word. Funny, she never stops talking at home. When she left she was determined to find her first space rock. When spring break rolled around we headed to the desert. I did some research, checked in with a few friends and had a couple of spots in mind. The video says it all.

mick

Hi Mick,

Congrats to your daughter.... things like that you do with your kids, they will always remember, especially a meteor.

Dave

Hi Mick,

Big-time congratulations to Lauryn on her very first meteorite! The first one will always have a special place in your collection, and your memories. Fun video, too. Mick, what a great dad!

Ben

Mick, great video and congrats to Lauryn!!!! That John B always makes his mark on somebody. Glad she was albe to score one. And if Mike sent you in a direction, well, rest assured, it probably was a good idea. He's one of the best out there. Jason ;)

Way cool Mick! Congrats to your daughter and JB also got me into meteorites when giving a talk at the 2nd NS outing many years ago about folks at Gold Basin throwing them away.... I was one of them :bang: Threw away so many in the early 1990s I can't remember them all....

Mick and Lauren,

That was one of the coolest videos I've seen in a long time.

Anyone with the enthusiasm that Lauren has will go far in whatever she decides to do.

It is so satisfying to see a father and daughter team like yours.

Congratulations to both of you.

Flak

My daughter, Lauryn, has been interested in Meteorites since 2006 when John B took us on a great Tucson tour. Lauryn has been adding a few meteorites to her collection each year we visit the Tucson show.

mick

Congrats to Lauryn and that was a very cool video. Maybe someday Lauryn will share her secrets on how to find meteorites!

Jim

Wow, thank you all for the kind words. I would agree, I am a lucky man. Much of who we are is based on our experiences and I take every opportunity to get Lauryn out of her comfort zone to try new things. My avatar is us fishing Yellowstone Lake. We were on the last day and I had done some more research on the met bull. We were down to our last spot and with about 15-20 minutes left when she scored. Good thing...like most kids she was getting discouraged. As we all know, finding a meteorite on a dry lake is not easy. My wife hunted with us and didn't find her first. Next time.

A big thanks to John B for getting us started in meteorites and to Mike Morgan who kept me on track. I had 2 lakes I have been wanting to hunt and he convinced me that this was the lake to focus on. Good call!

As soon as Lauryn gets a little bigger, I'll take her out to Franconia. See you all out there...

mick

Good video Mick! And way to go on where you hunted! :hahaha:

Thats one heck of a find for Lauren! I put in a full day in out there last month and found nothing but a big skunk. Looks like Mike showed her the magnet trick to help identify them. When they snap to the like that there's usually no question it's a meteorite.

Question: Did she score one of the black ones or was it one of the turd brown ones?

Del

Good video Mick! And way to go on where you hunted! :hahaha:

Thats one heck of a find for Lauren! I put in a full day in out there last month and found nothing but a big skunk. Looks like Mike showed her the magnet trick to help identify them. When they snap to the like that there's usually no question it's a meteorite.

Question: Did she score one of the black ones or was it one of the turd brown ones?

Del

Thanks Del. I was black and if you look close you can see the rust/oxidation in the surface. It has a lot of pull so It's probably an H chrondrite. I learned the magnet trick a while back and didn't know Mike used that until I talked to him later...lol Hunting a dry lake is fun but that area is vast. Good place for a kid especially in the spring when the snakes are out.

mick

Mick, Fantastic Video!! and Super Congratulations to Lauryn, just wonderful!!! :thumbsupanim UFO's Rock Bottom great choice in music! Real Good Hunting!! Encore Please!! Clifton

Thank you. I've watched all of Ruben's videos and there is one where he's sitting and playing Rock Bottom on his Strat. When I first heard it I thought it was the perfect meteorite music. I didn't have Ruben handy to record his version so I had to settle for Michael Schenker. I was lucky enough to see Michael Schenker play that song with UFO in the late 70's. A classic for sure.

mick

My daughter, Lauryn, has been interested in Meteorites since 2006 when John B took us on a great Tucson tour. Lauryn has been adding a few meteorites to her collection each year we visit the Tucson show. This year when we visited Tucson, we stopped by the Meteorite Men shop and met Geoff and Steve. They tried to do an interview with her but she locked up and didn't say a word. Funny, she never stops talking at home. When she left she was determined to find her first space rock. When spring break rolled around we headed to the desert. I did some research, checked in with a few friends and had a couple of spots in mind. The video says it all.

mick

Hey Mick,

Thanks for the "heads up" on your video! Pretty cool dude! Your music reminds me of another meteorite hunter.

See it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hEjDO3io4U

Thanks Ruben.

When I first saw your video, I loved the tune. It brings back some good memories. Thanks again for taking the time to post some great videos. I've learned a great deal from them. Maybe for my next video, I can get you to cover "Into the Arena"

mick

Thanks Ruben.

When I first saw your video, I loved the tune. It brings back some good memories. Thanks again for taking the time to post some great videos. I've learned a great deal from them. Maybe for my next video, I can get you to cover "Into the Arena"

mick

Dude,

You go way back too!

Michael Schenker rocks!

Thank you. I've watched all of Ruben's videos and there is one where he's sitting and playing Rock Bottom on his Strat. When I first heard it I thought it was the perfect meteorite music. I didn't have Ruben handy to record his version so I had to settle for Michael Schenker. I was lucky enough to see Michael Schenker play that song with UFO in the late 70's. A classic for sure.

mick

Yea Mick, Michael Schenker is awesome!! I finally saw him in Las Vegas about four years ago it was great! I had to shake hands with him afer the show, to press the flesh of one who's solos I have copied (attemped to copy) for decades. Maybe "One More for the Rodeo" for the next video. Say, looks like were the same age; old enough to know better, and still to young to care. Good Hunting! Clifton