Nugget Shooter Forums

Put a window in a meteorite

Aloha Jim,

See you are still hitting the desert a lot before the summer heat hits. Nice find guy.

Will be in touch soon.

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

Jim-

Really nice video. Great for newbies. Thanks for posting.

Now if we can only find a way to identify the valuable non-magnetic meteorites in the field. :shrug:

Steve

Hi Steve!

Thanks. The intent of the video was to encourage new folks to do the tests to determine if they have a meteorite.

Not too long ago I had a lot of Elmers helping me out....most from this list right here....so I am paying it forward...so to speak.

Some of the "lab types" are really complaining about too many meteor-wrongs....and that hurts all of us.

You can study the pictures of the Lunars and Martians all day long and until you get your hands on them.....yada yada. So, if I see an interesting rock, I collect it and keep it around. I'd swear up and down I've found CK4's but have no idea....really.

Over on the Club Space Rock forum, we are having a contest of sorts called Name That Meteorite. I've won it three times so far! Kind of fun and educational....and the last one was a lunar (A) from Meteorite Hills! It makes one pull the books and research.

Stan, Yeah, when we are not out in a known strewn field, we are hunting for that elusive cold find. Someday....Someday....happy0193[1].gif

These gas prices are killing me!mad0264[1].gif

Jim

Great instructional video Jim,

As you were showing the window in the video, there was some nice new looking spent shotgun shells on the ground.... :brows: Watch out if you did that on BLM land, I was shooting out in the desert once, and had 2 BLM rangers show up, they were nice enough not to take my weapons, as I had my blue cards for both my handguns, but gave me a fat ticket for illegal discharge of weapons in a non designated area. Kind of scared the crap out of me, zoomed in a hundred miles an hour, got out of their vehicle with weapons drawn on me, like it was Iraq.

Great instructional video Jim,

As you were showing the window in the video, there was some nice new looking spent shotgun shells on the ground.... :brows: Watch out if you did that on BLM land, I was shooting out in the desert once, and had 2 BLM rangers show up, they were nice enough not to take my weapons, as I had my blue cards for both my handguns, but gave me a fat ticket for illegal discharge of weapons in a non designated area. Kind of scared the crap out of me, zoomed in a hundred miles an hour, got out of their vehicle with weapons drawn on me, like it was Iraq.

Hi Dave!

Nope...not me....I do not trash the desert.

Jim

WOW, very well done tutorial, desertsunburn. I can see how you got your handle, spending all that time in the desert. thanks for the video, it's very helpful to us newbies.

Jim, Nice video!! Tried the Dremil on cutting a stone once. The cutting wheel, after a while, got red hot and flew into dust in one single second. I think water cooled it might have worked. Yea I have spent most my hunting time looking for coldies, and at $80 min for gas it hurts. It would be great to walk on to a strewn field, but even to find one would be great. Not yet, but, I keep finding the money and keep hunting. The beautiful Nature ya find in the places ya hunt is the real reward! Good Hunting! Clifton

Jim, I am a newbie and I found your video very exciting. In the last week I was able to put in about 14 hours in the local desert, El Centro, Ca. area. I save lots of rocks to test later. S. Calif. does not seem to have the concentration of meteorites that Az. has. We will keep trying. Two days ago I had just started hunting and found human skelatal remains so that day ended early. You just don't know what you will find. Thanks again for the video.

Ed

Jim, I am a newbie and I found your video very exciting. In the last week I was able to put in about 14 hours in the local desert, El Centro, Ca. area. I save lots of rocks to test later. S. Calif. does not seem to have the concentration of meteorites that Az. has. We will keep trying. Two days ago I had just started hunting and found human skelatal remains so that day ended early. You just don't know what you will find. Thanks again for the video.

Ed

Wow! Was that in the El Centro area? Glad you enjoyed the video.

More to come.

Jim

Wow! Was that in the El Centro area? Glad you enjoyed the video.

More to come.

Jim

Jim, It was closer to Ocotillo about 30 mi W. of El Centro. The bones were very old and scattered over a large area close to a road. Kind of strange they were not previously reported. Ed