Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia 27 grammer and beetle

Hey Gang, Well spent Sunday and Monday at Franconia, about 50/50 North and South. Great weather, lots of flowers, and a couple of snakes. Found a 27.4 grammer on the South side. It looks like a fragment, but it's complete. The pic is posed not in-situ. There was a nice size 1 3/4 inch blister beetle posing on a rock so had to take its photo. As I'm sure most of you know, no touchy these guys, or you'll get a blistering welt. These guys will fly at night attracted to lights or in darkness so always brush away, good reason enough to never smack the creepy crawleys, beetles, scorpions etc. I had a fn swarm, more than 100, get on me and some friends one night on a ridge, only got two small line welts on my calf; the web photos look much worse. I included a pic of a Franconia Horney Toad that was tinged with maroon coloration from April 2 years ago; I never saw one like that before. I went to cross the tracks, not, as they (two trucks and 4 guys while a train waited) were welding the track. I didn't want ticket or a court hearing, so after hanging out for about 50 minutes I ran the wash, lots of places in that loose gravel wash where you sure do not want to slow down to smell the flowers. Good Hunting! Clifton

post-21761-0-64920900-1302934720_thumb.j

post-21761-0-17111900-1302934767_thumb.j

post-21761-0-54894900-1302934799_thumb.j

Hey Gang, Well spent Sunday and Monday at Franconia, about 50/50 North and South. Great weather, lots of flowers, and a couple of snakes. Found a 27.4 grammer on the South side. It looks like a fragment, but it's complete. The pic is posed not in-situ. Clifton

Clifton!

Awesome find! Congrats!:thumbsupanim It looks like is was sub surface??? Is that correct? How deep?

Jim

The Horned Toad you show is a

DESERT HORNED LIZARD

Phrynosoma (Doliosaurus) platyrhinos

They are found only in these areas of our state,

rm-p-platyrhinos.jpg

I am pretty sure it was recently added to the protected species list along with the Texas Horned Toad which is only found in the Southern parts of AZ.

Great photos...

Hey Guys Thanks for the comments! The meteorite was mostly below the surface, with about 1/3 showing; see the in-situ pic below. I was hoping for a biggie on the South side, but this little guy is alot better than skunked. Yea Bill I was thinking about giving the proper name of the Horned Lizard, but I figured I'd give the name most know it by. I was vice president of the herpetology association in Las Vegas decades ago; I probably should have given both common names. Glad you posted the map and the information about their protected status. Often people catch them and try the care for them at home, usually resulting in the lizard's death in just a few months. Good Hunting! Clifton

post-21761-0-75781800-1303066251_thumb.j

Thanks Jason, insects, flowers, reptiles it's All Great!!! Jim "Bones", of course the reason I was wondering the South side is to try and find one like your 678 grammer. It is just beautiful!!! Waves of lust, and envy, repeat...sooo nice! For those new to the forum I've provided a couple of pics of Jim "Bones'" Franconia biggie. Clifton

post-21761-0-71569900-1303181588_thumb.j

post-21761-0-60870000-1303181610_thumb.j

post-21761-0-49255600-1303181858_thumb.j

Great pics, thanks for sharing. I'm still envious of anyone who finds any space rock in Franconia, let alone a nice one like that.