Nugget Shooter Forums

The Challenge

Dizzy

Not quite sure how much work I'm getting myself into, but before Summer is over I want to find enough gold to fill this vial:

post-25173-0-00246600-1302934633_thumb.j

I believe this little vial holds 2 drams? For reference, the vial is laying on the back of a standard sized business card. The gold showing in there now is the take from last weekend, so at that same speed there is still a long ways to go.. :miner:

Might do better, or might not make it, but I'm gonna give it my best shot. beer.gif

A neighbor is going along tomorrow, and I'll be using the larger A52 sluice this time. It's been "upgraded" since it's last outing, with new V-Groove matting glued in and sealed with silicone, and I redesigned how the steel riffle section attaches. I bought this sluice at least 30 years ago, and it didn't come with the nice latches or v-groove material back then. Now I can remove the steel riffle section much easier during clean up.

Here it is now, ready to go to work tomorrow:

post-25173-0-07323900-1302935258_thumb.j

post-25173-0-37093100-1302935854_thumb.j

Between Phil and I trading off loading and classifying buckets of material and feeding the sluice, we can keep feeding as much material as the sluice can process for about 6 hrs. tomorrow. I'll pan out the cons on Sunday and then we'll see if we can put a dent in the seasons goal. :grin:

Mike

20 minutes on a bad day, if not ,absolutely move to another spot and prospect and then prospect some more till you get decent gold-John

I've read enough of your posts John to know that you're not pulling my leg. I do appreciate the input. The best gold area I've found to date is the one I worked today (and last Sat.) This is flood gold, and I think we did good today (still panning it out). I believe it will still take a couple more trips before the vial is full.

Never mind about the "challenge", as apparently that's no challenge at all.

Mike

John, we live in Washington.Unfortunally Not much in the way of Gold around these parts. The river he's working is all flood Gold. Seldom can you find a pay streak. Harder to find Bedrock as its Way, Way down. All Glaicer gold pushed downstream from floods. Nobody has ever found where it comes fromd, though many have tried.

Mike - Why such a small bottle? It's hard to get a picker into that bottle. Start with a 1 oz. bottle that way when its starting to fill up ,your small one will be FULL. Dave

Thanks Dave, the 1 oz. bottle is a good idea. I like a good challenge, and although pickers aren't too common up here, there's always a chance I'll find one. The "challenge" was just meant to be something fun, and to set some kind of goal for my crippled up carcass to reach for. I know that Hoser John had only the best of intentions, but if I could ever consistently fill that little vial in 20 minutes, I would quit my day job!

John, we live in Washington. Unfortunately Not much in the way of Gold around these parts. The river he's working is all flood Gold. Seldom can you find a pay streak. Harder to find Bedrock as its Way, Way down. All Glacier gold pushed downstream from floods. Nobody has ever found where it comes from, though many have tried.

Thanks for the great support John. Missed you out there yesterday! Did ya get the new truck?

Mike

Thanks Dave, the 1 oz. bottle is a good idea. I like a good challenge, and although pickers aren't too common up here, there's always a chance I'll find one. The "challenge" was just meant to be something fun, and to set some kind of goal for my crippled up carcass to reach for. I know that Hoser John had only the best of intentions, but if I could ever consistently fill that little vial in 20 minutes, I would quit my day job!

Thanks for the great support John. Missed you out there yesterday! Did ya get the new truck?

Mike

Yep, Spent the weekend installing lights so I can tow it behind the motorhome.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't get a chance to get out to that spot again last weekend, but did make it the weekend

before. Took me some time to get the concentrates panned out, and here's the results:

Nooksackgold0010430115.jpg

This is all flood gold, so it's flat and thin. I'm finding it in the top 8" of material, and have been classifying to #8 mesh before feeding the sluice. Next step is to get one of the Bucket Concentrators or a Blue Bowl to clean up the cons, is it gets to be laborious panning out so much black sand. So far I've saved every bit of black sand left over after panning, as there is a lot of very small good in there still.

Mike

I've read enough of your posts John to know that you're not pulling my leg. I do appreciate the input. The best gold area I've found to date is the one I worked today (and last Sat.) This is flood gold, and I think we did good today (still panning it out). I believe it will still take a couple more trips before the vial is full.

Never mind about the "challenge", as apparently that's no challenge at all.

Mike

Get a quart jar....that's a challenge!

Jim

Thanks John. :grin:

Good color... How's the bottle doing?

Howdy Bill...the level is coming up... slowly, but I'm working on it..beer.gif

Totalasof051111001.jpg

Get a quart jar....that's a challenge!

Jim

Quart jar? rofl.gif

I would dearly love to spend some time on one of the good rivers down in Calif.

or So. Oregon, as then I could have the chance a getting the kind of gold you gents are used

to getting. This is flood gold, and it's all small flakes that are hammered flatter than my first

wife's sister.

Totalasof051111003.jpg

The pic I posted on the 9th was the result of about 8 hrs of work, and I'm pleased with

what I ended up with. It's not 1/4 oz in 20 min., but it's right down the road (45 min. from

home), and it's the best game in town. I do OK just to be out there walking

staggering around on boulder strewn riverbanks. Best balance therapy I can get.

Someday I hope to have a chance at some serious gold bearing material like you fellows have

access to, but for now I'm happy as a pig in fresh mud just to get out and enjoy the the

exercise and fun of seeing that gold in the sluice.

Mike

thats pretty much the same gold as i get working the washes in the desert and if i can manage a gramme or two in a day im doing well. if you had a small re circulating sluice with the black mat on it you could concentrate down you concentrates to gold and finer black sand though i would pick out any pickers or bigger flakey bits of gold. youll have far less to pan and i use those black basins you can get at wall mart or auto one for doing oil changes, i usually wash concentrates into basin and swirl it around if i see good signs of colour i keep going and pan it out when i get home.

Well Dizzy, glad your findin somthing! It may not be much but YOU found it, and your aquiring valuble intel! When your able to relocate to a more gold friendly environment, you'll be a pro :whoope:

Good luck!

ok, nice gold.. take a photo with the bottle/vial standing up. it is a 2 dwt vial....

Approx 1 inch =2 dwt.

Approx 1/10 inch=4.8 grains

Aprox 1/2 inch= 24 grains

Gold is roughly $3.10 a grain...