Nugget Shooter Forums

Metal Detector

Good Day to All,

Hi Ivfireman, Jayray, D-Sil, Desertsunburn, fredmason, Kaimi, frank c, Patrick in Havasu, Ed D270, Bedrock Bob, Paseclipse and everyone else who loves this meteorite hobby.

In my on-going preparation for coming to Arizona, does anyone have experience with the White's Spectra V3i? It's supposedly got this meteorite detecting feature, does this feature really work? Just thinking of buying this metal detector and if it has potential of ruling out basalt and other terrestrial hot rocks I am interested in knowing. How does it rate against say, the GMT?

Thank you kindly.

MY FRIEND , in simple terms and and easily spoken language, Don't Bother.

You will sacrifice greatly the sensitivity and power needed to find gold and meteorites.

If you want a combination machine to hunt coins etc. and don't care about its potential to hunt native gold and meteorites then so be it.

But if your'e serious about spending time to hunt gold and meteorites, GMT, an GOLDBUG'S would be you BEST tool for Vlf's :twocents:

If your going to flip that kind of cash get yourself a used Minelab PI since they handle mineralized ground much better than most prospecting metal detectors.

I was at a Gold Show a couple years back and a dealer had one of the White's Spectra V3i's. I was curious about it and took out a 230 gram Franconia area meteorite I had with me to see how it worked. The guys put the detector in "meteorite" mode and I waved my meteorite under the coil. A picture of a meteor came up on the screen but no audible signal came through. Then the dealer admitted they didn't know how to properly tune it for meteorites.

If I had to take a guess I would say White's picked up an iron meteorite (extrememly rare and the most common meteorite people think of you mention meteorites) and designed the meteorite mode around this. They would be much better off getting a heavily weathered ordinary chondrite and designing around this. Even then there's still no guarantee's it would sound off on EVERY chondrite since a lot of them (outside of Franconia and Gold Basin) will barely set a metal detector off.

Another thing that was questionable was how that metal detector would handle hot ground. Open air tests are one thing but it's a whole different ball game when you get out in the field.

Any other prospecting metal detector would SCREAM on a 230 gram Franconia area meteorite. Your best bet would be to stick with a prospecting metal detector (like the one's Frank suggests above) since they handle heavily mineralized ground better and pick up chondrites a lot easier than most of the other metal detectors I've seen.

If I had to rate that metal detector for meteorites (based on what I had seen) I would most certainly put it at the bottom of the list. If I was in the market to buy a metal detector specifically for meteorite hunting I definately wouldn't get that one.

Hope this helps!

Del

MY FRIEND , in simple terms and and easily spoken language, Don't Bother.

You will sacrifice greatly the sensitivity and power needed to find gold and meteorites.

If you want a combination machine to hunt coins etc. and don't care about its potential to hunt native gold and meteorites then so be it.

But if your'e serious about spending time to hunt gold and meteorites, GMT, an GOLDBUG'S would be you BEST tool for Vlf's :twocents:

Ditto...what Frank and Del are telling you. My opinion is it's going to be hard to beat a Gold Bug 2 or a GMT for meteorites. They both have good proven track records. And Frank just had a Gold Bug 2 for sale for $400 which was a smokin deal!

The three detectors that work the best are the Minelab, Gold Bug II and the GMT, I would stick with any of those detectors.

I have bought three detectors so far, and now use the GMT, and if I was to change, I would buy a Gold Bug II, because of the price of the unit, and from what I have seen out in the fields. You can't beat it for the price, for both gold and meteorites.

I think that we can all agree on one thing, and that is we want to hear it, we don't want to be looking at a bar graph to see what we just went over with the coil.

The one thing I do when hunting, and I'm sure the rest of the guys do too, is always looking ahead, at the rock on the ground, to see if something is out of place, then of course this time of the year I'm looking for snakes too...!

Aloha,

My choices in order are: Whites GMT, Gold Bug 2 and a Minelab.

Reason behind these choices: GMT= well what can I say but i own one and so do a bunch of other meteorite hunters who dont want to have to dish out a bunch of money but still get a quality product. Plus I am prejudiced when it comes to Whites products. They have always stood behind their product and have always treated me great when it came time for servicing the unit or even if I just wanted to ask them questions about the unit.

Goldbug 2= Another great product in the easy to pay for product. I have seen a bunch of others with this unit finding meteorites like crazy. Just try to keep up with Jim (desertsunburn) and his wife Wendy when they have these units around me is work in itself. Great affordable unit!

Minelab= If you got the kind of money it takes to buy one of these units, not considering a used one of course, then be my guest. A bigger learning curve than the other units. A little heavy, especially after four hours of hunting, but otherwise a fine unit.

It is up to you to decide a couple of things first. How much do I want to spend and how much time am I going to dedicate to this hobby. If you are just starting out I would recommend starting at the low end first then work up to a better priced unit but the GMT and the Goldbug 2 are both good units to start with.

Aloha and goodluck out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Hopefully a perfect subject for asking a question regarding my TESORO LOBO...purchased new 5 years ago. I never used it in Western Mojave High Desert as planned but I'm asking for expert's thoughts on it's use as I begin to dabble into meteorite hunting. Opinions and settings?? Thanks.

Hopefully a perfect subject for asking a question regarding my TESORO LOBO...purchased new 5 years ago. I never used it in Western Mojave High Desert as planned but I'm asking for expert's thoughts on it's use as I begin to dabble into meteorite hunting. Opinions and settings?? Thanks.

My only advise is to test it prior to going out with it. Although it has an All Metal Mode, it operates at 20Khz which kinda tells me it would make a poor meteorite hunting machine.....but test it to be sure. I have no first hand knowledge of this unit.

Jim

Also a good pick is the white's MXT, it loves meteorites, and a good relic/ coin hunter also. I had a MXT before I purchased a GMT, and found a lot of space rocks with it.

Dave

The early Lobo was a manual tune detector and was a good VLF for meteorites, but when they made the Lobo Super Track, they also toook away the ability to run the detector in manual. Now with the Lobo ST one can inadvertantly track out a small meteorite or even a large condrite with little metal in just a few swings of the coil such as when double checking an "iffy" target, it will simply vanish until you rebalance over a different piece of ground. One can actually track out a very small bit of gold as well under some conditions, I have done it. I really wish the LST could come with tha ability to use manual or auto track, but Tesoro doesn't seem to want to make that simple change and several folks have suggested it to them. Otherwise the Lobo detectors are a very good VLF detector for gold nugget shooting...

The early Lobo was a manual tune detector and was a good VLF for meteorites, but when they made the Lobo Super Track, they also toook away the ability to run the detector in manual. Now with the Lobo ST one can inadvertantly track out a small meteorite or even a large condrite with little metal in just a few swings of the coil such as when double checking an "iffy" target, it will simply vanish until you rebalance over a different piece of ground. One can actually track out a very small bit of gold as well under some conditions, I have done it. I really wish the LST could come with tha ability to use manual or auto track, but Tesoro doesn't seem to want to make that simple change and several folks have suggested it to them. Otherwise the Lobo detectors are a very good VLF detector for gold nugget shooting...

Hi all,

Bill is right. I own a Lobo Super Traq and LOVE it. It is far better than any Whites or Fisher detector for Iron or pallasite (stony iron) meteorites. However, NEVER try to use it on chondrites (stony meteorites). It self balences so well that it WILL balance out any small chondrite.

Here it is along with my brothers detector as we made a nice find in NM

Hi all,

Bill is right. I own a Lobo Super Traq and LOVE it. It is far better than any Whites or Fisher detector for Iron or pallasite (stony iron) meteorites. However, NEVER try to use it on chondrites (stony meteorites). It self balences so well that it WILL balance out any small chondrite.

That is one nice meteorite find there Ruben! WOWser.....

OH LORDIE! What an awesome find! Looks like about 1/2 years salary sitting there! VERY NICE find. I am kinda guessing that thing sounded like a freight train when you swung over it! Looks like Zeus broke the end of his Hockey stick!

Turn that baby into gold!!!

Jim

Jim

Not to worry, your day will come with all the time you are putting in.

Your's is still out there in the field waiting to be found, that's if Stan don't beat you to it.

Awsome find there Ruben! And where did it come from if we may ask?

Thanks again gentlemen for the great advice!

So to recap the Goldbug 2, GMT, MXT and Lobo all do the trick of finding a chondrite? I say chondrite because that is the most common meteorite.

How small a chondrite though? And at what maximum depth?

How do these machines deal with say a lot of basalt (the magnetite in the basalt) around a chondrite?

Just learning. Thanks.