Nugget Shooter Forums

Western Nevada Skunk

Jeff Pike

Back to the old patch today with my friend Bill - It was his first actual nugget hunting trip to a good spot with his newly-purchased GB2 from Craigslist. Anxious to see if we could get to elevation (7200 ft.) we set aside any worries of inclement weather. 3 hours of following dirtbike trails and sometimes NO trail, we inched our way up to our target destination :ph34r2: . 32 degrees and partly sunny.

12:51 P.M. looking good, weather looks like it will hold - Bill is digging up all sorts of trash, I finally get the coil mounted on my machine and I am ready to get going. (takes picture)

12:59 P.M. - Hmmm that wind just came out of nowhere... seems really cold too.

1:05 P.M. - wow that's a serious snow squall heading this way...

1:10 P.M. - Time to put the detector in the truck, I can't feel my hands anymore... (40 MPH winds and sideways snow)

1:12 P.M - I wonder how Bill is doing... (takes picture)

1:30 P.M. - This sucks, let's do something else... like head home :inocent:

There you have it, high elevation detecting in spring. Fun trip anyway, though.

post-22610-0-72804000-1302752965_thumb.j

post-22610-0-10970100-1302753005_thumb.j

Thanks,

Yeah that is one mack-daddy coil... got it about 18 months ago and it has found many... smallest nugget yet is a .4 grammer at 5 inches on shallow mode. It was a surprise.

I only use 2 coils now, an 8 mono and the 24. No amp with the 24, I would have to tune out the fillings in my teeth. :D

I'm almost afraid to say it for fear of jinxin' myself, but our weather has been improving over the past week.

Does sound like you had a cool drive up there, and when the weather improves it'll be time to go back and score some nugs! BTW, since you didn't really get to swing the coil much, I don't believe that actually qualifies as a ..skunk.jpg

Mike

:rolleyes: I know what it is like. I'v been 20 miles from the truck on a 4x4 ATV at 12,000 ft and that happens :( When I got back to the camper it took me 5 hr to warm up again. I had the gear for it, but you still get cold, and it was Jume B) got love the the Rockies.

I applaud your sand to go that high up, great job.

Keeper Swinging

CH

Back to the old patch today with my friend Bill - It was his first actual nugget hunting trip to a good spot with his newly-purchased GB2 from Craigslist. Anxious to see if we could get to elevation (7200 ft.) we set aside any worries of inclement weather. 3 hours of following dirtbike trails and sometimes NO trail, we inched our way up to our target destination :ph34r2: . 32 degrees and partly sunny.

12:51 P.M. looking good, weather looks like it will hold - Bill is digging up all sorts of trash, I finally get the coil mounted on my machine and I am ready to get going. (takes picture)

12:59 P.M. - Hmmm that wind just came out of nowhere... seems really cold too.

1:05 P.M. - wow that's a serious snow squall heading this way...

1:10 P.M. - Time to put the detector in the truck, I can't feel my hands anymore... (40 MPH winds and sideways snow)

1:12 P.M - I wonder how Bill is doing... (takes picture)

1:30 P.M. - This sucks, let's do something else... like head home :inocent:

There you have it, high elevation detecting in spring. Fun trip anyway, though.

Been trying to get out myself, same story different day.