Nugget Shooter Forums

Question about Geodes

Hello all,

I managed to get my hands on some unopened geodes and was wondering what is the safest way to open them without smashing the rock to bits and pieces which is what I'm scared of lol. I know a hammer and a sock but do I need a chisel? any out of ordinary hammer work better then the "normal" hammer?

thanks for the responses guys...and thanks bill for the tip on no hammer...now to find a rock shop in connecticut

Check around with your friends any see if any of them installs ceramic tile, they could cut it on their wetsaw/tilesaw. or if you see anyone having some tile installed ask the tileguy if he will cut it for you.

Skip

Hello all,

I managed to get my hands on some unopened geodes and was wondering what is the safest way to open them without smashing the rock to bits and pieces which is what I'm scared of lol. I know a hammer and a sock but do I need a chisel? any out of ordinary hammer work better then the "normal" hammer?

I use pipe cutters,depending on the size of the geode you slowly.. turn-tighten-turn.....Never had one break.Saw this trick at THE Tucson Gem and Mineral show several years ago.

Take it to Home Depot.

The folks that cut tile can do it.

If not find construction site and get someone to do it. A six pack has power in places like that! LOL!

All are good suggestions, but you can indeed cut it with a hammer and chisel. Just like a pipe cutter scores the material and concentrates tension along a line so will a hammer and chisel. You must score a line with the chisel and let the tension cut the rock and not the hammer blows.

All stone is cut with hammer and chisel and can be cut with extreme accuracy. If the specimens are not cracked and faulted they will cut quickly by scoring with a chisel and break along your score line. The geodes that show promise can have the cut face ground smooth or you can do it with a diamond wheel on an angle grinder after they come in two pieces.

I open geodes all the time and have only rarely broken one. Patience and a good sharp chisel will do wonders!

If you use a tile saw you must use a wet blade. the dry blade type will chip and break silaceous minerals due to the heat. You can use the dry blade to score a line though and break along the line with a chisel. Just like a glass cutter would cut glass. The same principal.

All are good suggestions, but you can indeed cut it with a hammer and chisel. Just like a pipe cutter scores the material and concentrates tension along a line so will a hammer and chisel. You must score a line with the chisel and let the tension cut the rock and not the hammer blows.

All stone is cut with hammer and chisel and can be cut with extreme accuracy. If the specimens are not cracked and faulted they will cut quickly by scoring with a chisel and break along your score line. The geodes that show promise can have the cut face ground smooth or you can do it with a diamond wheel on an angle grinder after they come in two pieces.

I open geodes all the time and have only rarely broken one. Patience and a good sharp chisel will do wonders!

If you use a tile saw you must use a wet blade. the dry blade type will chip and break silaceous minerals due to the heat. You can use the dry blade to score a line though and break along the line with a chisel. Just like a glass cutter would cut glass. The same principal.

Ya know I never considered that angle and that is how it was done centuries before our fancy saws came along. Would indeed take allot of patience scoring a line before the fatal blow.