Nugget Shooter Forums

heavy beige sand?

weldergirl

Hi, I'm here in North Carolina. Started panning 6 months ago. I have been doing alot of research and taking samples from different creeks. The creeks that had known gold deposits in the area have less black sand and alot of small, beige, round ,porous-looking "sand". This "sand" also kind of glimmers. I bought a microscope to look more closely than my 10 magnification loops' but the specimins appear too dark under the microscope(maybe I needed an electron microscope???). any how, this is driving me crazy. Other places where I have found gold have the regular black heavies. Is this somekind of gold sulfide? or a left over from past mining techniques? The Quartz rocks in these streams are highly mineralized and lots of mica and fools gold. But this stuff is very heavy so I'm keeping it. Please someone help this newbie!

tried to take pic, just looks like sand. when looking under loops each one is ball shaped, porous, not silica looking like other light sands.very heavy though. balls are usually smaller than black heavies but heavier or equal to the blacks.

Welcome to the forum Weldergirl!!

There have been many people finding several different types of heavy light colored sands in the N.C and North S.C areas, some of these sands are gray and most likely Galena but could be Titanium as well, some of the sands are blond/tan as you describe and could be a number of different heavy minerals known to be in these areas, and then you will find reddish sand that is usually Garnet sand.

No one to my knowledge has done an assay on any of these sands to definitely determine what they truly are.

A picture might help to ID what you're finding, you can get a descent picture using your microscope with a little patiences, first you will need a light source to help luminate the material under your microscope, a small hand held flashlight will work after trying different angles, then using a digital camera aimed through the eyepiece you can get a good picture after some trial and error.

I will try and see if I can come up with some possible IDs for the sands you're finding, generally where in N.C. are you finding these sands, knowing that I might be able to find what mineral deposits are in that area that may help with an ID of your sands.

That all being said, my guess is that the sands are not worth keeping other than to satisfy your wanting to now what it is, it would mostly likely take tons of these sands to be worth any money if they are a mineral worth mining.

Skip

The beige sand would not hinder the blacksand from being there, if there a source for the blacksand in the area it would be present, you don't find gold everywhere you find blacksand, but the saying goes that you find blacksand where you find gold, but I have found this saying to not be entirely true and gold has been found in some places without a trace of blacksand.

Gold is where you find it, and when I find it I don't question why it there even though I try to find the source if I can, I just get as much as I can while the getting is good!!! :ROFL: :ROFL:

Skip

Hey Weldergirl, I am out in Ca now but used to live in North Carolina in Golden Valley. I got the same thing dredging and it turned out to be a rare type of Monzanite. I found out what it was from a geologist from one of the universities in Carolina. There was a company taking samples for it for about two years. It was being used in high tech batteries for startup and shut down, it was all in research stage and I do not know anything else since I came out here. The batteries were suppose to have a half life of 500,000 years. Alot of what came out of that area went to the super collider project in Texas. From what I was told it is very rare, if you have the same thing. There was no market for it that I could find. I do know that the company that was doing the sampling paid me very,very well for my couple of pounds. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

I have no idea, but I have found heavy "white" sands under the black sands in the Kingston district. Turns out it was neodymium. The magnet stuff. It is very brittle, white, heavy and unless you were paying attention you would just say it was unstratified blonde sand.

In today's high tech world that might be a good thing to know. I have no idea of its worth but I know that the neo magnets are in high demand these days.

• 10 years later...

I have a large amount of cons from the West, very little black sand but lots of very fine gold mixed with blonde sand. Tried Blue Bowl, Millers Table and continue to lose the specs of gold because the water flow necessary to move the blonde sand also moves the fine gold. Any ideas?

11 minutes ago, Troubled said:

I have a large amount of cons from the West, very little black sand but lots of very fine gold mixed with blonde sand. Tried Blue Bowl, Millers Table and continue to lose the specs of gold because the water flow necessary to move the blonde sand also moves the fine gold. Any ideas?

Smelt it to retrieve the gold.

I made up a recirculating system where water in a big tub was pumped thru a small sluice and then was settled out and recovered and went back into the big tub.  When the water left the sluice it first went into a gold pan then the overflow went to a settling bucket and back into the tub.  I was getting fine flour gold and I knew the method was working because I would occasionally pan out the fines that went thru the sluice.  Very little was making it past the sluice. The thing I think that was making it work so well was adding a few drops of Dawn dish soap to the water.  Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Troubled said:

Are your cons classified? If not they should be. 

My guess is that the gold could be mica if it is staying with the blonde sands.  

I also will throw out gold sulfides, tellurides, can be a blond sand and are heavier than the black sands.  This is not a likely option.

• Irritated 1