Nugget Shooter Forums

Trajectory of Gold Basin Asteroid

Doing some research on the Gold Basin Strewn Field, I've come to realize none of the documents I've read state the incoming trajectory path.

In this document, http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC98/pdf/1526.pdf , it actually states the path is unknown. However, as reproduced, I did not find a date on when this document was released. I am sure it was years ago.

So has/have any other document/s been produced defining the trajectory path? I have heard it was North to South. And then I've heard it was South to North.

Jim

Doing some research on the Gold Basin Strewn Field, I've come to realize none of the documents I've read state the incoming trajectory path.

In this document, http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC98/pdf/1526.pdf , it actually states the path is unknown. However, as reproduced, I did not find a date on when this document was released. I am sure it was years ago.

So has/have any other document/s been produced defining the trajectory path? I have heard it was North to South. And then I've heard it was South to North.

Jim

I think you are on the right track. My impression was South - Southwest, to North - Northeast from the strewnfield maps I have seen and used. Terry

Jim,

Seems everyone claims it does go South to North direction. A lot of smaller pieces found south, as the larger pieces dropped north.

Hi Jim and All

We believed it was south by southwest to north by northeast. Judging by the gradation of sizes of pieces we found. Near the pierce ferry hi way most pieces were complete very small and widely dispersed. In mid field near the rec area boundary many heavy hit areas with clusters of puzzle piece fragments. Some of the puzzle fragment clusters could be assembled to pieces up to about 3 kilos. In our hunts only a about 2 dozen reasonably complete pieces over 500 grams were found off the rec area including my largest one at 1600 grams. On the rec area the pieces were generally larger including a couple of 1 kilo pieces I found that are probably in a shoe box in the basement of the Smithsonian. I'm certain there are some very heavy hit areas on the rec area but I was more concerned with boundaries of the strewnfield than cleaning it out. Since we didn't get to keep any of our rec area finds. After all the hunting on the Rec Area and constantly expanding the field it was disappointing not to find a basketball sized one the Dr Kring was certain we would find. There probably is some sizable pieces that cleared the lake across from burro springs up on the mesas. I drove in from Utah once by myself spent the day 4 wheelin and beepin areas I thought might preserve them. I got to within 3 miles of the direct flight crossing and hiked my ass off beepin. I barely made it out on fumes in some rough riden country. I was shocked at the old mining activity and quartz mountains way back in there.

Happy Huntin John B.

Hey Jim

Geeze I just remembered weren't you awake while you filmed me at the auction ?? If you would have remembered I had the official original field map that Jim, Twink and I made while doing the field work there. I don't know if you caught it on film but it was my copy of the map.

Happy Huntin John B.

Hey Jim

Geeze I just remembered weren't you awake while you filmed me at the auction ?? If you would have remembered I had the official original field map that Jim, Twink and I made while doing the field work there. I don't know if you caught it on film but it was my copy of the map.

Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John!

Thanks for the great info. Yeah, I know....I really messed up :arrowheadsmiley:. Right after the talk, you might recall the dog pile to the front of the room.<_<

I think I saw you come up for air a few times!happy0193[1].gif

I was needing to film Twink's cutting of the cake and then I needed to get back to the other side of the room to help Ruben....so I was kind of busy.

Well, maybe next year I can get together with you and look at the map....I hope we can all get together again for lunch or dinner...we really enjoyed all of that.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...