FlakMagnet

Bob, 29Prospector has moved on

Bob was a kind hearted and very

generous man. He was also a great

friend to all that knew him.

We are all going to miss him a lot.

My condolences to Bob's family.

Greg

Being new here I didn't know Bob but wish I had.

Gone now to a better place.

:rolleyes:

Sad news.

I always looked forward to the day I would get out to Dale, and share a camp fire with Bob and get to listen too his storys.

I still look foward to that day, its just gonna take me a while to hook up with him.

Rest in peace Bob, you will be missed.

:-(

Blake

Had the pleasure to meet Bob last year on the way to an outing in the Dale. Awesome person, very generous, a LEGEND in the Prospecting community. He will be greatly missed. Jack

Great stories for a freat story teller. Bob had a special way of looking at things and was good about getting you going on ideas,If he would have been a minning speculator he would have been {FINANCIALY} rich beyoned imagination, Bob had a strong dislike of speculators,Selling dry holes to unsespecting people.Even in his finanicial plight he never would go that low, But he was rich in other ways like .How he delt with the problems at hand . They have changed the way i look at a few things, We talked on the phone everyday,It was hard to limit the time of the call,After a while he became family to me, with all that goes with a family member,

I first met Bob after hearing that Joe for the gold and Mick had gone up this terible rd, Up there in a small flat was a old timmer Digging at these big holes in the ground sitting on a foam pad as he dug.See his back was shot but he was not going to sit inside and watch the world go by, He had these 2 gallon buckets that he used filling up 4 or 5 then hiking them out of the hole once they were filled, he would waddle up out of the hole and hike these buckets of rich dirt and plug the puffer to the battery ,Oh the sound of a puffer, He would run the dirt thru 3 times to be sure it was all caught in the riffles.Then he would pan it down ,Seeing that he was still on a paysteak. He looked in the pan swirling the water a round grinning and saying how pretty the little pickers were. When i looked in the pan i was suprised that one man would do so much work for so little gold, When i used to run operations and dredge 1/2 oz a day was a minimum for me>.

So as i looked at the situation and realized he just needs to move more materials ,that way he can make it pay, I mean what the hell give this old guy a break, That day i started digging for him, and for a few weekends i would go up there and dig, I wish i could find a picture of the hole and the digging, It was impressive .We all had done our hard labor, Flak,Joe,Mick, at some point, He always wanted to split the gold at the end of the day ,I refused to take my share,We all reused. we figured he needed it more than we did,The way he could dig ,and smile in that blasted heat and wind was a site to see, He always had a smile and was laughing about something, Hell he was alergic to bees and he got stung on the lip,The most solome thing he said was dang, then he would start in with that contagious laugh of his, Bob taught me that a true freind is loved no matter what your differences are and always forgiving mistakes. Life is to short to be upset over such small things, Bob stay away from the tommyknokkers,and say howdy to paleface for me, I hope you and your dad are sitting on the ridgetop looking down at the leadge of gold, :miner:

There are so many stories to tell But this is all i can do for now,

He was giving in so many other ways, " Rest in peace"

It,s not the heat that drives you crazy in the Dale, It,s the wind. B D

Dennis,

Found some shots that illustrate your last post.

The first 2 pictures are of you and Bob

both in the process of throwing your backs out...kind of a contest I guess.

The 3rd shot is Joeforthegold checking the hole with a detector.

The 4th shot is how the day usually ended up; telling stories on the tailgate.

fwiw

post-920-0-16548100-1303228900_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-07924600-1303228913_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-51325800-1303228930_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-79774200-1303228959_thumb.jpg

Bob Dunkin, AKA 29PROSPECTOR, celebrated his sixth birthday being allowed by his father to ride down the ore bucket all by himself deep, deep and deeper still, down the shaft of a Dale District gold mine. The descent grew darker and darker. The air became still. The place was utterly quiet. Bob didn't like it. He loved it! From the moment of that rite of passage his love affair just grew stronger. He eagerly learned the skills of a hard rock miner from his father and from his father's fellow miners. He listened intently to their stories. He dreamed many of his own. It was my rare privilege to be an audience of one over many, many desert campfires shared with this desert raconteur and master storyteller. The only one in his same class was Paleface, the late Jim Smaller. I will never forget the night in Gold Basin when those two went at it, spinning one hard rock tale after another until they were the only two still pitching kindling into the fire. And now they are gone -- gone from this earth that they loved so well. But not before leaving some of themselves behind. And for this we all are richer, vastly richer.

It is so nice to hear stories of my father from all your guys. Thank you.

It is so nice to hear stories of my father from all your guys. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum JND... Your father was a very well loved and respected friend to all of us here and will be greatly missed. I am very sorry for your loss.

Bill

JND,

Welcome to the forum, though I never met your father I got to know him via this forum, I greatly enjoyed his stories and his unwavering sense of life, I cannot describe how much he will be missed here, my condolences to you and your family.

Skip

It's wonderful that you have had a chance to read the things about your Father on this forum. But I'm sure it only scrathes the surface of his friendships and accomplishments.

I had the chance to meet with him only once, although he was kind enough to exchange many e mails with me. I had no idea of his reputation in the mining community until after our meeting at The Dale at an outing. He was very helpful to me, a total stranger. All it took was an interest in gold, and he was right there with his knowledge and advice.

I'm certain he will be greatly missed by many more people that we will never hear from, or know of.

My best to you and your family,

Patrick.....