Nugget Shooter Forums

Corundum & Epidote

Is there any connection between corundum & epidote ? In a previous post I had found corundum with green sands which I originally thought was peridot along with some gold, however according to NC Geologists they indicated it was epidote even though some of it was light pistachio color and some dark green. The epidote is so clustered you can pick it up like a clod of dirt and it breaks apart real easy and there is a lot of yellow mica mixed in it. The location is a small slow moving branch and I have tested 350 ft upstream as well as 100 ft and very little epidote and no corundum. My next test will be 50-60 ft upstream. Anyone had any experience with this in the past, I would appreciate your comments.

I guess there can be sometimes, apparently epidote forms in several environment, two of those can be metamorphic environments which I also think would be more suitable for corundum formation. Epidote can be found "with chlorite and actinolite as hornfels and greenstone of contact metamorphic rocks, and with hornblende, almandine, and actinolite in amphibolite and blue schist of regional metamorphic rocks". Epidote is a silicate (basic calcium, aluminum, iron silicate) while corundum is an oxide (aluminum oxide), so they both have aluminum in them.

I guess there can be sometimes, apparently epidote forms in several environment, two of those can be metamorphic environments which I also think would be more suitable for corundum formation. Epidote can be found "with chlorite and actinolite as hornfels and greenstone of contact metamorphic rocks, and with hornblende, almandine, and actinolite in amphibolite and blue schist of regional metamorphic rocks". Epidote is a silicate (basic calcium, aluminum, iron silicate) while corundum is an oxide (aluminum oxide), so they both have aluminum in them.

Thanks Rex, didn't know if this was just a coincidence or not. Did you ever see the two together in Macon County ?

Thanks Rex, didn't know if this was just a coincidence or not. Did you ever see the two together in Macon County ?

No, frankly I did not, no epidote to speak of in Cowee Valley corundum deposits, although I would wager a pretty big bet that the origin is a metamorphic one.

No, frankly I did not, no epidote to speak of in Cowee Valley corundum deposits, although I would wager a pretty big bet that the origin is a metamorphic one.

Thanks, Big Rex