Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Desertsunburn

Gold Basin - Hunt is on!

Anyone wanting to Hunt Gold Basin, there will be a small group heading that way to hunt and camp. Weather may not be the best as the extended forcast shows it to be a tad bit cloudy with a chance of rain, but hey....that's hunting!

Hope to see you there!

Jim

Stan

Are you going down for the day if you are not working? It sounds like a good time of the year to head that way, as we will soon have the summer heat to contend with!

Aloha Jim,

Count Rick and me in for the hunt. We will leave Vegas around 4:30 am and will look for your truck in the area.

I will be bringing only my GMT and of course my flip camera to take some working shots of the F75 vs the GMT.:thumbsupanim

Aloha and see you out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

I'd love to go, but haven't saved up enough $$ for gas yet after the Franconia trip. Sounds like you are going to have a blast. Keep a weather eye out, though, it's supposed to snow here Fri and Sat.

Aloha everyone,

Well it's official! mad0229[1].gif

Mother Nature has won this battle BUT not the WAR!:thumbsupanim Hunt is on for Sunday April 10, 2011 and we will start at the crack of sunrise. So "GAME ON" for anyone interested.

Jim, Wendy, Hershey the wonder dog, I call her that because I keep on wondering how I can manage to keep up with her, Richard from riverside is also a possible along with Rick and of course I will be there.

Hopefully Jason will show up and maybe a couple of others wishing to shake of the bad weather from the previous days.

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Ka'imi :olddude:

Hey gang. Where are you camping? We may just get a chance to venture up there as well.

Patrick.....

Hey gang. Where are you camping? We may just get a chance to venture up there as well.

Patrick.....

Hi Patrick!

Due to the weather, the camping part got cancelled for Wendy and I. However, we will be in the general vicinity hunting on the 10th......should not be able to miss my truck. We'll be on FRS channel 11, Tone 0. Hope to see you there. Get that detector dusted off!!

In the past, we've met at the cattle guard and went from there. No major plans until everyone is there and we normally talk about a hunt and then go do it. Once the hunt begins, I hunt like a madman when I am learning an area, and can be a mile or two away in the first 1hour. So the radios really work well.

Too bad there isn't a GPAA ham radio member camped there. Could call them and get a first hand weather report!

Jim

Perhaps Dolan Dave or Frank C. will give an up to date report.....

Patrick.....

The weather report from Gold Basin is light wind with occasional gusts and cloud cover. Temperature is probably ~70 degrees. There's a chance of rain today according to the NOAA website. Perfect weather for meteorite hunting if you ask me.

Sending this message in my Jeep via an iPhone. Cell phone coverage is almost full bars at the GPAA campsite.

Frankc if you reading give me a call. Apparently I can't access my PM's to get your phone number.

To get update or futurecast on gold basin anyone can go to the weather channel online and enter meadview arizona they are the same for weather casts.

Dels there right now an can keep you posted.He has the modern marvel of accessing the internet from his telephone.

Ok Stan

I'll be up at 3am on Sunday morning, the weather should be out of here by then and we all will have a great hunt, looking forward to seeing everybody then..!

Rick

As of this morning, the weather forecast has improved for Saturday and Sunday on Weather Underground. Looks like camping may be back on!!!

Frank c or Del, any local reports???

Wind blew here most yesterday with extremely strong bursts of wind. Not sure I can remember a time where I've felt such powerful high speed "bursts" of winds. These were not a typical gust of wind.

Jim

Jim

Let Stan know if there is a change of plans, the weather here still looks like rain today, but the wind did die down..!

Looking forward to seeing everybody out in the fields, on what ever day you come up with.

Rick

Jim

Let Stan know if there is a change of plans, the weather here still looks like rain today, but the wind did die down..!

Looking forward to seeing everybody out in the fields, on what ever day you come up with.

Rick

Hi Rick!

No change in the basic plan. Sunday hunt is a go! I am just trying to decide if I also want to hunt and camp on Saturday.

We'll see you Sunday, regardless.

Jim

Hunted last weekend and didn't have any luck.

35°52'46.09"N

114°14'3.85"W

Maybe the wrong place?

[/quote

The heck with that G.P.S. stuff,.......

Sounds like you need to track Uncle Marvin and his Mothership for awhile...... :hahaha: :hahaha: :inocent:

post-562-0-85440700-1302292386_thumb.jpg

Might meet everyone there Sunday.... I will be in a white Ford F-150 4x4. See you there. Weather is partly cloudy, cool and windy. Dave

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FORECAST SAYS BUT IT'S SNOW AND COLD HERE IN THE VALLEY AND OUR WEATHER IS USUALLY PRETTY CLOSE TO WHATS HAPPENING IN THE BASIN

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FORECAST SAYS BUT IT'S SNOW AND COLD HERE IN THE VALLEY AND OUR WEATHER IS USUALLY PRETTY CLOSE TO WHATS HAPPENING IN THE BASIN

Thanks Teri. I am having hunting withdrawals :o

Wendy and I are en route now!!! :thumbsupanim

Neither rain or snow will stop us now.....subject to change once we get there!happy0204[1].gif

Jim

Snowed here last night. wish there was some way I could upload a pic from my phone. Absolutely beautiful but wet and a little cold.

Aloha,

Heading out from Vegas around 4am to hopefully get a nice Gold Basin sunrise video for this hunt. Will be bringing a box of fresh winchells donuts along with me for breakfast. So, if you want one you had better be fast on the draw.

I believe Jim and Wendy are camping out tonite at the GPAA claim area. Here is wishing NO SNOW OR WIND tonite!

This should be a fun time, especially after a couple of days of miserable weather.

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Jim and Wendy, Stand and Rick, See you guys out there...Brrrrr, it's a bit cool this morning, let hope Marvin's Mothership can warm us up a bit before too long. Jason ;)

Snowed here last night. wish there was some way I could upload a pic from my phone. Absolutely beautiful but wet and a little cold.

We must have missed you, Del. Wendy and I arrived GB about 11am on the 9th and hunted the afternoon and drove around looking at the areas and the passing storm. Only got sprinkled on once. The wind seemed to pick up and we decided to camp out in Kingman at a hotel!

Arrived back at GB on the 10 before sun-up and hunted all day. Wendy scored her first GB (besides the one found in Twink's cake) and I skunked. I pretty much acted as the lucky charm both days!

Jim

Aloha everyone,

Oh yeah, was is cold!:yikes: Glad I wore my thermals for the morning hunt. Headed straight for the sunshine up in the hills and that is where Wendy was the first one to score that morning. Rick also finally got one from Gold Basin and it was a nice one. Great score Rick!:whoope:

Of course Jason scored right after leaving Jim and I in the dust for the rest of the day. But we both had a great time hiking and swinging our coils.

Wow, I still cannot believe both Jim and I ran into the proverbial skunk. I think that skunk was running around trying to get warm and just happened to run into both of us. I think Jim is going to have to train Hershey not only to warn us of snakes but to keep on eye and nose up in the air for skunks also.:inocent:

All in all we had a great time and the big reward for the day was hearing Rick say "I think I got one!".

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hi All, just got back from my hunt. Spent three days hunting Gold Basin and here's my haul-

Gold-Basin-Haul.jpg

19 finds totaling 400 grams. Biggest find was 96 grams.

The weather wasn't the best most of the time I was there. Woke up to snow on Saturday and it was absolutely beautiful-

Gold_Basin_snow.jpg

I love the desert when it snows, haven't seen it in years.

Gotta give a shout out to Frank C! Thanks for everything buddy I appreciate it. I hope you and Scott(?) found some out at Franconia. I ended up only scoring one small SaW 005. It sure is getting challenging to score finds at Franconia. We'll have to do it again sometime.

Del