Nugget Shooter Forums

Fisher Detectors

explorer1

Hi all,

I have posted here recently on my experiences with my Fisher GS. My concern was if I was to send my detector in for repair. Then if it could not be repaired what type of replacement detector would I receive in return. With the GS discontinued. I did receive back my GS from repair. One of my coils was defective along with the keypad as well.

So happily a thumbs up for Fisher and Felix the customer rep. However, both coils in discrimination mode detect both gold and iron as non-ferrous. But at least the all metal mode works well. Felix along with Daniel the service rep agreed and stated as well to me that this was a design flaw with these detectors. Felix is going to try to swap out a GB2 for my GS pending supervisory approval. Originally I was going to purchase a GB2 but then I read about this new wonder of a detector the GS back in 2005-6.

But I am satisfied with the company.

Hi all,

I have posted here recently on my experiences with my Fisher GS. My concern was if I was to send my detector in for repair. Then if it could not be repaired what type of replacement detector would I receive in return. With the GS discontinued. I did receive back my GS from repair. One of my coils was defective along with the keypad as well.

So happily a thumbs up for Fisher and Felix the customer rep. However, both coils in discrimination mode detect both gold and iron as non-ferrous. But at least the all metal mode works well. Felix along with Daniel the service rep agreed and stated as well to me that this was a design flaw with these detectors. Felix is going to try to swap out a GB2 for my GS pending supervisory approval. Originally I was going to purchase a GB2 but then I read about this new wonder of a detector the GS back in 2005-6.

But I am satisfied with the company.

A GB2 is a way better deal than the GS ever was, If they can swing it you'll be better off.

Allen

There is another "design flaw" built into the GoldStrike. It is not a defective electronic part. Rather, it consists of the following "procedural" defect: Unlike the Bug2 which can give you almost instantaneous feedback regarding a target via auditory tone responses, the GS consumes a whole lot of TIME spent fiddling with digital readouts. In other words, the advantage of a GB2 versus a GS is that the former can cover vastly more acreage than the latter by instantaneously discriminating out entire CLASSES of non-gold items [assuming the GB2 operator has learned how to properly adjust the ground balance controls]. The GS only can discriminate out on a piece by piece basis. This will drive you nuts where there is an abundance of hot rocks or ironstones. EXAMPLE: Let's say you are detecting an expanse of desert pavement which is loaded with ironstones. By setting the ground balance on a Bug2 slightly negative [i.e., as you bounce your Bug2 up and down over the desert pavement, rotate your ground balance knob counterclockwise to a point where the signal is emitted on the UPWARD stroke] so that the vast majority of ironstones now are making a BOING BOING sound as opposed to a ZIP ZIP. Gold, birdshot, boot tacks and such still will sound off as a zip zip -- but not the millions of ironstones. With the GS you can't do this. Instead you have to deal with each ironstone individually. Since the ironstones all differ slightly in ferrous content, the GS becomes bogged down eliminating them stone by stone whereas the GB2 makes the whole class of ironstones go BOING BOING. A practiced ear can allow a GB2 operator to cover WAY MORE surface area than a GS operator. I hope this makes sense to those of you who own BB2s. I say this because the conventional wisdom has it that you should ALWAYS ground balance a GB2 slightly POSITIVE. Other things being equal, this usually is a correct standard. BUT, there are exceptions such as I have described above.

:) I still a Gold Strike. It seemed to work pretty good for me and especially good for Roy Evans in the Eugene Range... Lunker hill... area in Nevada.

As I remember (last used mine about 5-years ago) the bad thing (for most of the users) was the double tone and not the traditional zip-zip. The initial low tone indicated any target; good or bad. The secondary was

supposed to indicate non-ferrous metallic target but unfortunatly it would also accept ferrous alloys of "tin" and non-ferrous metal.

But if attention was paid while in the all Metal mode to the (+) or (-) sign accompanying the numerical readout of the intensity meter a (-)sign indicated most likely a positive hot rock; and if there was no accompanying (-) or (+)sign, it was most likely a negative hot rock.

Thanks for your helpful, descriptive info. Jim and Micro you are both so right. The discrimination mode is not very user friendly especially in hot ground. I tried burying a 4 gram nugget down 5". I would pass over it in all metal mode. I would get a negative reading (ferrous) first then positive over the nugget. As I was swinging back and worth slowly over the nugget. But also mostly the same result over a hot rocks. While still getting both tones low and high (target). I tried all different scenerio settings. From -5 to -50 threshold. Leaving the good sensitivity setting at 4. With ground and tracking on and off separately. With both the 6.5 and 10" coils.

In a non mineralized area the detector is less confused. Which is the best way I can describe this detector after 6 years.

:twocents: Detectors are like women--love the one your with as your neighbors always looks MyTFine all the time. I too much prefer the GB2 but will always have a special place for the ol'tried and true GB1 but the Tesoro Lobo ST is my all time favorite for hundreds of reasons-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :eee:

The design flaw of most VLF Detectors is the addition of any form of disc mode on a gold detector. None work without flaws including the GB 2. It is a little better than some but still can be easily fooled.

The Goldstrike most likely uses a motion disc type mode as its primary mode. This can lead to strange signals and errors just like the motion disc mode can on any other VLF.

The problem lies in the design of how a motion disc mode works and how it can be fooled. Most discriminating detectors use two signals to determine there is a target and whether that target is good or bad. If the target isn't determined to be good, then the signal can or most likely is ignored. Some detectors will still sound off but may give a visual ID type signal to indicate junk.

The problem with this design is many rocks can have sufficient magnetite to generate a negative disc signal even if it is ground balanced out. So, if such a rock is present with the nugget, one may not hear the rock but the rock can generate a negative response that masks a good gold target. Keep in mind that the signal from any ferrous target even magnetite is generally dramatically stronger than any gold signal. As such, it doesn't take much of a rock to cause a good gold signal to be ignored.

This same limitation will also impact any future discriminating PI's also. At least it will using the disc design I have been experimenting with.

As for the GS determining some ferrous junk as good, well all VLF machines with a disc mode will do that. If the junk is thin and round, the odds are it will generate a good disc response at least some of the time. At least they do on any one I have tried or owned and that includes a bunch of detectors including the newer GBSE. The GB 2 was a little better than most but still can be fooled under the right conditions.

The point I am trying to convey is don't trust the disc mode of any detector because most will lie to you and some worse than others. Usually, there are tricks that can be learned on each machine that do help, but most tricks take time and experience to use effectively.

Reg

:twocents: There is absolutely no perfection in this life---only in death is there equality and perfection. Everything is flawed and seeking perfection is the way to live miserably- luv the one your with and can afford and ENJOY this extremely short ride called life-tons a au 2 u 2-John :whoope:

Hello Reg

I like to thank you for the time and effort in responding to my post. In fact, if I'm addressing Mr. Reg Sniff I saved your article on PI'S and VLF detectors and coils, excellent viewpoints. I am satisfied with this detector now working as designed. Also greateful that Fisher was able to repair it. Happy, so-so with all the negative reviews I read about the GS. I sometimes wonder if this detector is a good candidate for a recall. With all it's confusing extra, constant noise on every possible target.

With my new 6.5" coil now working along with my 10" coil and repairs. This detector in a non-mineralized area works ok. Such as using the small coil on hard rock up as high as 13,600 feet in the Colorado mountains. I have found a small hidden waterfall at that elevation. Which must of suddenly appeared from loose rubble from a fissure crack the last time I was up there. I did need to climb while exploring a hard to reach area. It holds a rare form of Rhodnite called pyroxmagnite (tight grain) which sometimes has specks of gold and silver. That small coil will pick up the slightest grain of metal within hard rock while searching for lode gold. I also have a ML GP 3000. I use both detectors in the all metal mode.

Thanks to all,

Explorer