Nugget Shooter Forums

Introducing Myself

Greetings from the frigid north!

I'm a disgruntled diesel mechanic, that found gold mining 15 years ago, and i'm finally on the verge of being able to do it for a living. I have my own claims about 80 miles outside of Nome Alaska. Just a small suction dredging operation, but it belongs to me!Heres a few pics from the mine, hope you enjoy!

post-25248-0-65425400-1301075328_thumb.jpost-25248-0-72371400-1301075278_thumb.jpost-25248-0-39470000-1301075300_thumb.jpost-25248-0-79041700-1301075312_thumb.j

Being I'm mining in AK, I'm only able to work the ground between June and October. Which brings me to why I'm here :brows: I intend to spend this next winter in AZ, and maybe do a little nugget shooting while there. This seems to be the place to learn from some of the best. No I dont want your honey hole, just honest advise! I'm quite capable of finding my own gold, just new to detecting :grr01:

I currently own 2 beepers whites TDI and GMT(brand spankin new) would love to own a gpx5000, but i'm gonna wait and see before I drop over 5 grand on a beeper!!

post-25248-0-96493300-1301077032_thumb.j

Here is a few chunkies I found last summer :D sorry there is no scale with that pic, i think the biggest one was about 4 dwt. Not big by Nuggetshooter standards, but nice to find, just the same :)

Take care and happy hunting!

Dave

Welcome aboard, Nice spot you got up there looks like a nice catch for gold on that claim and no stacked rock to boot, I always wanted to go up there and do that,Iam sure you will get some good info hear,

Thanks for the welcome fellas! It is beautiful country with fair gold(and a ton and half of skeeters) :angry-smiley-010[1]:

Haven't tried yet in that wide section, but up the creek a little bedrock depths are pretty shallow!6' being the deepest i've found. Almost no color in the overburden, its all on bedrock(schist and limestone) Managed to have some good days(over and oz) and some not so good(much less) :inocent:

Dave

Welcome Dave! howdy.gif

That's some beautiful country you are in up there, and it sounds as if you are going to have

a great Spring and Summer up there working your claim. As a disgruntled sales rep, I can

absolutely relate to your desires for living a life free of the big city's issues, and making it your own. :thumbsupanim

Mike

Thanks for the welcome fellas! It is beautiful country with fair gold(and a ton and half of skeeters) :angry-smiley-010[1]:

Haven't tried yet in that wide section, but up the creek a little bedrock depths are pretty shallow!6' being the deepest i've found. Almost no color in the overburden, its all on bedrock(schist and limestone) Managed to have some good days(over and oz) and some not so good(much less) :inocent:

Dave

Well, Arizona sure has good temperatures in the winter. I just wish where I live wasn't so far away. We don't have any jobs here...this is Elkhart county, the place Obama visited when the recession first hit. I just renewed my claims club membership, all I need now is some prospectors from my area to plan a trip with. Tried going by myself last time, just too dangerous.

ArcticDave- I'm from Alaska and live in Arizona now 2 hours from Stanton, welcome to the forum. Call me when you know you are coming to Arizona and I will be happy to show you around. I've owned both of the Whites you own, they are both good machines and I still use the GMT. I sold my TDI and got a GPX4500. I go up to Alaska every summer for a couple weeks to see family and friends. PM me and we can swap phone #'s. Dave

:whoope: And god made heaven on earth and it was good :miner: looks like heaven to me in non dredging kalif--well at least not legally anyhow. Yep them AK skeeters are a nasty arse bunch and absolutely could not get used to eating my food with skeeter apatizers interspersed. Hope ya got at least a 6" to hit that overburden, nice and convaluted ground along that curvy river-party on and nuttn' but envy at this time in space-tons a au 2 u 2-John :grin:

Welcome, nice place ya got there. :brows:

I too am limited to June thru Oct.

Higher elevations in Calif. hang onto the snow a long time.

Good for run off, bad for time on the claim. :(

I am spending my winters here in AZ(and Philippines) and the summers are spent dredging in colo, if you want to get together in AZ and do some nugget hunting that would be cool by me! If you need help with your dredge in the summer let me know, I been dieing to go to Alaska :thumbsupanim

Wow, honestly was not expecting this much of a response! Thanks for making me feel welcome, much appreciated :) Thank you for all the invitations! I may take you up on them :brows: We have (2) 6" Keene dredges and (1) 4" Proline for testing. I currently have a partner for the operation, but if any of you fella's are in the area, feel free to pay us a visit. Company is always welcome! we're way out in the boonies,I heli'ed in last year. Transportation costs to the claims are astronomical, but it helps keep the claim jumpers and tree huggers away :grin:

IF your a glutton for punishment(not kidding,it can be a harsh place), and want to dredge with us, PM me. Might be we could work something out.

The GF and I visited Prescott area last November and loved it. We liked Sedona too, but the prices are so outta line, no way we could afford to live there. We look forward to exploring the rest of the state. There is somthing about the desert that kinda latched on to me, and I just cant seem to put it down. I'm sure you desert guys know what i'm talking about.

Geeeez this has got windy :hahaha:

Take care

Dave