Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

csb6772

Regular MXT 6x10 DD & 10"DD

I'm having a bit of trouble pinpointing with bot coils. Any tips would help. Maybe One day, I'll be able to help people when I master this Unit, and coils.

You are probably trying to use the "X" method of pinpointing employed with a concentric coil that most folks are used to. Because the DD coil has a long, narrow pattern from "nose to tail", the pinpointing process is different for the DD coil.

To pinpoint accurately with the DD, first sweep R to L and "center up". Then turn the coil 90 degrees and sweep R to L and "center up". The intersection of the two "centering up" processes is the target location. The "hot spot" for the 6X10"DD coil is under, or just a tad forward of the connecting "ears" on the coil.

Practice this process with a coin on the surface so that you can see / hear what's happening. It will only take a couple of times to learn the new process. When you do, you'll find that your pinpointing is VERY accurate.

One last tip .... As you increase sensitivity (M6) or Gain (MXT / MXT Pro), the "size of the "hot spot" of your coil increases, making pinpointing a bit more difficult. If you a workin' pretty "hot", and have issues with pinpointing shallow targets, just pull the trigger quickly a couple of times and hold the last pull as you move the coil over the target. This will "detune" the machine, shrinking the size of the "hot spot" and improving the accuracy of your pinpointing.

Hope this is helpful.

You are probably trying to use the "X" method of pinpointing employed with a concentric coil that most folks are used to. Because the DD coil has a long, narrow pattern from "nose to tail", the pinpointing process is different for the DD coil.

To pinpoint accurately with the DD, first sweep R to L and "center up". Then turn the coil 90 degrees and sweep R to L and "center up". The intersection of the two "centering up" processes is the target location. The "hot spot" for the 6X10"DD coil is under, or just a tad forward of the connecting "ears" on the coil.

Practice this process with a coin on the surface so that you can see / hear what's happening. It will only take a couple of times to learn the new process. When you do, you'll find that your pinpointing is VERY accurate.

One last tip .... As you increase sensitivity (M6) or Gain (MXT / MXT Pro), the "size of the "hot spot" of your coil increases, making pinpointing a bit more difficult. If you a workin' pretty "hot", and have issues with pinpointing shallow targets, just pull the trigger quickly a couple of times and hold the last pull as you move the coil over the target. This will "detune" the machine, shrinking the size of the "hot spot" and improving the accuracy of your pinpointing.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for the heads up.

Chris

Hey Bill. I dont want to hijack a thread but I want to ask a question along these lines.

I have a Minelab 2100 with a Coiltek open 14" elliptical coil. The hot spot is on the upper right hand edge of the coil about 1 o'clock. It works fine and is tough to pinpoint with, but the very "lip" of the coil will get a much smaller target than anywhere else under the coil.

I have found that I work this spot on the coil around to find a very small target. With a small flake of gold I can move any other part of the coil around over it and only get a signal in this one small spot. I had assumed the "hot spot" was always in the center focal point of the coil but this one is definitely not.

It is a great coil and performs flawlessly. It just lists to starboard a little. And on deeper targets the coil performs exactly as it should. But that one spot is definitely more sensitive especialy when the coil is closer to the target than 6".

Whazzup? Is it wound crooked? Bent shaft? Left handed coil?

Hi Bob,

Wish I knew the answer to that one and I also had a coil that had one spot closer to the edge on the left at about 10 o-clock and just figured the winding was closer there. I have never built a coil so am not familiar with what would make this happen and perhaps Reg or someone will see this thread as I am sure Reg will know the answer...

Hi All, Yes.. also apologies for writing in this thread however I wish to respond to Mr Bob's post.

Mono coils all have this characteristic when close to the coil. As the windings are all around the perimeter and not through the middle, when close to the coil with a small target it will only respond at this outer perimeter. That is, if you take a 0.2gm target and wave it close to the outer perimeter, the coils' field will respond. However, because there are no windings through the middle, when you wave this same target over the middle spine of the coil you will get either no response or a very muffled inconsistent response: especially when within 2 inches of the housing. Therefore: The response from the outer edge is more distinctive than through the middle.

For the coils natural 'cone shaped' field to come into play, you will need a larger target away from the coil. As you wave the target you will notice the response becomes more central to the coils shape. As you get closer it will respond more around the edges – therefore the smaller mono coils are good to pinpoint with by tilting the coil somewhat.

I cannot explain why you are experiencing a heightened response in this area you mentioned but maybe can see it as a ‘sweetspot’ to work with. Most coils will have this somewhere around the edge (monos only – DD coils the sweetspot would be somewhere through the middle of the coil).

We have had some 14x9” coils seem better at the front than the back when dealing with Hotrocks or visa-versa which again is a strange characteristic but beyond me as to why they do this - I must not comment on things i do not know! :)

I hope this helps you and feel free to contact me for any other info.

Regards,

Trevor @ Coiltek Manufacturing

Thank you Trevor!

My method of pinpointing ( and it works excellent) with my MXT All Pro is simple. I don't use the X method. Holding the trigger in I move the coil around over the target until I find the spot where the sound is the loudest under the center of the loop. Then I measure back toward the rear of the loop about 1 1/2" and mark the spot. Works everytime and VERY accurate. I have the 10" DD coil.