Nugget Shooter Forums

Whites Mxt Settings in Prospect Mode

csb6772

I need help with the settings in prospect mode. I have a 6x10 DD coil, and also the 10"DD coil. I went out to Dutch Flat the other weekend, found a square nail, and a piece of flattened out buckshot, the machine was irratic at times. Just some pointers please, also live in Sacramento. If there's anyone near by, please let me know.

Thank you,

Chris

I need help with the settings in prospect mode. I have a 6x10 DD coil, and also the 10"DD coil. I went out to Dutch Flat the other weekend, found a square nail, and a piece of flattened out buckshot, the machine was irratic at times. Just some pointers please, also live in Sacramento. If there's anyone near by, please let me know.

Thank you,

Chris

I think you will get some replies soon Chris as there are several MXT users here...

I think you will get some replies soon Chris as there are several MXT users here...

I'd hope so!

Chris,

I guy that has found many gold nugget with his MXT in Northern California responded to several others asking how he setup his MXT for gold and this was his reply, I don't remember who this guy was and wish I could remember where I copied it from for my use, so you could follow the whole forum topic, but this is the best I can do for giving you his advice.

"Thanks, it sure is fun finding gold nuggets with detectors, once you do it there is no hunt quiet like it. In CA and OR the gold areas are usually somewhat mineralized and lots of iron trash around. To me I find that the MXT works best in Relic mode, trigger center, gain maxed out and hopefully when you lower coil you don’t get a overload signal, if so lower the gain but then it starts to cripple the depth and sensitivity of the MXT. The discriminator knob determines where you want to set the trash honk tone at, generally somewhere between 2 and 3 so everything at 0 and above on display (non ferrous items, gold, lead etc) give a high tone and everything below 0 -numbers (ferrous items, iron and hot rocks) gives a low tone honk. You could bump up the discriminator knob higher then you will dig less and only find bigger nuggets if they are out where you are hunting. I usually run my threshold silent and no headphones because of ear problem, and is much more enjoyable that way. Ground balance I leave in auto, but depends on area or how much iron is around then I lock it in. Where I hunt I have tried the other modes including trigger forward in relic mode and to much falseing and ghost targets, I have tried several MXTs over the years to make sure It was not a particular bad unit. The M6 performed similar to the MXT coin and jewelry mode for hunting gold again not as good as the MXT in Relic trigger center, also at this one particular spot we had a chance to try a new GMT and my friend thought he would clean house with it hehe, but to our surprise the GMT was going off like crazy on ghost targets and hot rocks, we did have minelab PIs to confirm this. Now these are results for N ca areas we hunt, he did state that the GMT worked real well in desert areas down in S. CA though."

Also Steve Herschbach a well known Alaska nugget hunter that uses an MXT as well as Minelabs in Ganes Creek Alaska has this to say about setting up the MXT for gold nuggets, I don't know how to find where he posted this either, I just copied it for my own use, so again I will forward his advice to you here.

"Put the MXT in Relic Mode and set the disc control at 1.5 - 2. Crank the Gain, and run in Ground TRAC mode for a minute, then switch to Lock,

The disc control sets a dividing point. Everything below the setting, say of 2, will "grunt", everything above will "beep". You want to set it just to where iron will grunt and non-iron beep. Set it as low as possible while still not digging too much steel/iron, but never higher than 2.

Now dig everything that goes beep. You should find lots of aluminum. Aluminum reads the same as gold. The smaller the aluminum, and deeper the aluminum, the better you will be at nugget detecting."

Skip

I don't remember who this guy was and wish I could remember where I copied it from for my use, so you could follow the whole forum topic, but this is the best I can do for giving you his advice.

<snip>Skip

Skip,

That same text can also be found at:

http://www.goldprospectors.org/newforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14204&title=mxt-m6-tone-question-relic-modegold-location-cd

and also at:

http://www.atfreeforum.com/goldadventures/viewtopic.php?t=467&sid=5f2ad99355789096c39161d65be72b59&mforum=goldadventures

I believe you've literally provided the answer to your own question.

The chap you're looking for went by the handle of ""Lonny007" (top link).

Your own post told me...(bottom link) :yuk-yuk:

Crap...if I could prospect as well as I can use Google I'd be a rich man.

Need to spend more time doing less of one and much more of the other now

that winters over :eee:

Mike

Skip,

That same text can also be found at:

http://www.goldprospectors.org/newforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14204&title=mxt-m6-tone-question-relic-modegold-location-cd

and also at:

http://www.atfreeforum.com/goldadventures/viewtopic.php?t=467&sid=5f2ad99355789096c39161d65be72b59&mforum=goldadventures

I believe you've literally provided the answer to your own question.

The chap you're looking for went by the handle of ""Lonny007" (top link).

Your own post told me...(bottom link) :yuk-yuk:

Crap...if I could prospect as well as I can use Google I'd be a rich man.

Need to spend more time doing less of one and much more of the other now

that winters over :eee:

Mike

Mike,

I never thought about searching for the text :tisk-tisk:, I'll have to try and remember that but that's not likely :unsure: , all I know is that I have CRS and if I don't save it to a Word document I will never find good info again, and even then I sometimes have a problem finding it!!! :olddude: :olddude:

But by searching the text of the second bit I post by Steve H., I found where I read it!!

3rd post down.

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/342-I-coundn-t-take-it-anymore!

Skip

Chris,

I guy that has found many gold nugget with his MXT in Northern California responded to several others asking how he setup his MXT for gold and this was his reply, I don't remember who this guy was and wish I could remember where I copied it from for my use, so you could follow the whole forum topic, but this is the best I can do for giving you his advice.

"Thanks, it sure is fun finding gold nuggets with detectors, once you do it there is no hunt quiet like it. In CA and OR the gold areas are usually somewhat mineralized and lots of iron trash around. To me I find that the MXT works best in Relic mode, trigger center, gain maxed out and hopefully when you lower coil you don’t get a overload signal, if so lower the gain but then it starts to cripple the depth and sensitivity of the MXT. The discriminator knob determines where you want to set the trash honk tone at, generally somewhere between 2 and 3 so everything at 0 and above on display (non ferrous items, gold, lead etc) give a high tone and everything below 0 -numbers (ferrous items, iron and hot rocks) gives a low tone honk. You could bump up the discriminator knob higher then you will dig less and only find bigger nuggets if they are out where you are hunting. I usually run my threshold silent and no headphones because of ear problem, and is much more enjoyable that way. Ground balance I leave in auto, but depends on area or how much iron is around then I lock it in. Where I hunt I have tried the other modes including trigger forward in relic mode and to much falseing and ghost targets, I have tried several MXTs over the years to make sure It was not a particular bad unit. The M6 performed similar to the MXT coin and jewelry mode for hunting gold again not as good as the MXT in Relic trigger center, also at this one particular spot we had a chance to try a new GMT and my friend thought he would clean house with it hehe, but to our surprise the GMT was going off like crazy on ghost targets and hot rocks, we did have minelab PIs to confirm this. Now these are results for N ca areas we hunt, he did state that the GMT worked real well in desert areas down in S. CA though."

Also Steve Herschbach a well known Alaska nugget hunter that uses an MXT as well as Minelabs in Ganes Creek Alaska has this to say about setting up the MXT for gold nuggets, I don't know how to find where he posted this either, I just copied it for my own use, so again I will forward his advice to you here.

"Put the MXT in Relic Mode and set the disc control at 1.5 - 2. Crank the Gain, and run in Ground TRAC mode for a minute, then switch to Lock,

The disc control sets a dividing point. Everything below the setting, say of 2, will "grunt", everything above will "beep". You want to set it just to where iron will grunt and non-iron beep. Set it as low as possible while still not digging too much steel/iron, but never higher than 2.

Now dig everything that goes beep. You should find lots of aluminum. Aluminum reads the same as gold. The smaller the aluminum, and deeper the aluminum, the better you will be at nugget detecting."

Skip

So, i'll have to use it in relic mode? Honestly,

I don't get it. Prospect mode has a faster responce right?