Nugget Shooter Forums

With many of the previous Minelab SD and GP series detectors the addition of one of the aftermarket coils could really help performance and sensitivity for hunting gold nuggets....

With the introduction of the Commander series for the SD, GP, and GPX series detectors you now have an advantage over most of the higher priced coils out there currently though they are excellent coils I feel the Commander Coils will out perform the competition in like sizes hands down....

Yes if there is a need for a specific size or shape Minelab does not currently offer you may want to consider another brand, but if you have a SD,GP, or especially a GPX 5000 you better give that Commander Mono or DD a real try....

I have shown this to folks in the field and most are amazed at the difference in depth and sensitivity of the Commander Coils on the New GPX detectors!

Or at least these are my findings...

Good Hunting....

I am beginning to realize just how good theese coils are and am using them a bunch... the 12x15 Commanders ROCK!

That 12/15 coil may just be the best all around coil if there is such a thing,I can not understand how it hits so hard and clear on smaller gold. But the 5000 has a bit to do with it, :twocents:

I used the 8 inch Commander coil last weekend to find the 10 pieces of Gold in the picture I posted earlier this week. The coil saw 4 sub-grain pieces at 4-6 inches deep. I can't believe how small they are. My GPX 5000 and that coil are a deadly combination for any size nuggets. Davethumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dang it Bill, you let the secret out. My 15x12 commander is my favorite coil and I'm looking for a used 8"commander as well. By the way, you don't need a 5000 for these coils to work great. My 4000 will find sub gram nuggets at amazing depth.

Keeper Swinging

CH

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see Minelab become more competitive in the coil market. I really believe they would have some superior products especially if they focused on lighter open spoke designs. Clearly they already have great products, but maybe they could produce a new line of more managable coils.

Hi Adam,

Although I have no evidence whatsoever to back me up,

I would be willing to bet that Minelab is doing exactly what you are wishing for.

Lets see what the near future brings.

On another note, the most underestimated coils on the market are the stock 11-inch round coils

that come with each Minelab detector. These things are wonderful coils and yet most people

instantly look around for another coil to buy - I did.

If I had to pick one coil that I would like to hunt with, it would be either the Minelab 12x15

or an Advantage of comparable size and I believe the Minelab may be best of all.

Now after all that, I just have to save up and buy one...ha ha ha.

Flak

I do believe the commander coils are under estimated, most just believe if its aftermarket it must be better. There are some very good aftermarket coils out there, lighter ones at that. I love the 11" mono and it performs just fine. I just wanted to cover more ground alittle deeper since so many areas have been hit pretty hard around here.

Sooner or later I will try some aftermarket coils as I find them that I can afford.

Hi Adam,

Although I have no evidence whatsoever to back me up,

I would be willing to bet that Minelab is doing exactly what you are wishing for.

Lets see what the near future brings.

Flak

I agree, as a matter of fact , I was just telling a friend that same thing. I hope they do, because I will be in line to buy one. If they acually produced a new series , I think they would be dominant in the coil market. Oh , and ya , the 11 mono is a killer coil...

Hey Bill all I use right now are after market coils- I'm going to have to give one a test drive and see what the commander series is all about -its very rarely that you hear about minelab coils having any falsing or cracking issues like the after market company coils and the after market coils are way over priced at that-just a note I think the cracking issue has been resolved with the newer line coils with one brand but the falsing issue with the other brand is still there--does anybody want to trade for a falsing coil or a craked up coil-.:shrug: Theres going to be 2 other companies offering coils for the minelabs as well and cheaper than the existing after market coil options that we have now--competion is good :thumbsupanim :twocents: Mike C...:ph34r2:

Mike, I just bought an 8" commander for my beat up old dirt covered 2200. I was most impressed with the 1.2 grainer I scored with it at about an 1-1/2" deep. I will be happy with this coil for sure.

Bill, My son and I are taking a trip to Alaska this Summer. I was trying to deside which Coil to use on the old tailings, the Gold Stalker 9x14 mono or the Comander 12x15 mono . I think that you have answered my question. Thanks for this post. Doug

The Commander Coils are awesome! I love my 11" round mono because it's found me a decent amount of gold. Picks up the small nuggets and punches deep for the large ones. Here's a few pics of some dig holes to prove the depth capabilities of just one of the Commander coils-

Dig hole for a 1.5 ounce speciman.

Second_Hole.jpg

Hole was 18" deep

Dig hole for a 1/2 ounce slug-

First_Hole.jpg

Hole was 12"-14" deep.

Here's a dig hole for a 1/8 ounce slug-

Nugget-hole.jpg

Hole was 12"-14" deep.

Here's a pic of me after finding a 5/8 ounce speciman-

IMG_0762.jpg

Pic is a little misleading because the hole looks a lot deeper than it actually was. Hole was 14"-16" deep.

All gold was found with an ancient green box SD2100 equipped with an 11" Commander mono coil. Also... It's not like any of these finds were faint signals. Heard them all loud and clear!

Gotta LOVE the Commander coils!

Del