Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia

Well it finally happened,after numerous trips and hours of swinging my GMT,I found my first meteorite at Franconia. I owe a great deal of thanks to Stan, along with the encouragement from the team of Jim and Wendy.

You Guys were great. It is people like you that make this forum one of the great ones. It was also a pleasure to meet Jason and share in all his finds, wow! what a collection. My meteorite was nowhere near the size of the others found, but it

meant more to me than the combined finds made that weekend. I can't wait for the next trip.

Thanks Guys,

kgmrg aka Richard :D :D post-3321-0-41316200-1300753622_thumb.jp

post-3321-0-71665000-1300753692_thumb.jp

Aloha Richard,

Oh yeah! Just think if you would have taken the left instead of the right side of that hill.:tisk-tisk: I guess from now on you will be hunting off to my right eh.:inocent:

I have to admit though it was awesome to hear your voice yell out to me saying "I think I have one!", and that one weirdly shaped iron is absolutely worth its own little spot in your collection. We will definitely have to plan on having "Team Hershey" plan a hunt at Gold Basin in the near future.

I have to admit I really admire that dog for what she went thru this weekend. She really put herself thru a lot for all of us.

Now we need to see the rest of the finds from Jason, Jim and Wendy. I have attached a pic of my one and only chondrite found this weekend as I cannot find my envelope containing the irons I found. I know they are somewhere either in my bags or in the jeep somewhere but at this point I am still to bone tired to search for them.

Hopefully Jason will post his video so we can all see his awesome finds. Great job!:thumbsupanim

Now for the rest of the story on my find: After hiking for about 20-30 minutes Rich and I decided to take a break and setup our metal detectors. Being the second day we were running on fumes, cause I know I was. After turning on my SD2200 my heart sank when I realized I left my speaker in the back of my jeep along with my headphones. Of course Rich decided to leave his also. Soooooo, I had to walk all the way back to the vehicles. On the way back i took a shortcut to save some time and ran into a desert tortoise just starting to exit his den. Guess what? No camera and no cellphone to even take a pic. On the way back to Rich I detoured the area to not disturb the tortoise and I ran into a bunch of rocks that caught my attention. As I was about to throw one of them back I looked down amongst some other rocks and found a totally awesome piece that showed off its flow lines and features. This is only my second specimen in all the time spent hunting that has these great features. It was worth the return trip BUT that wont happen again anytime. Note to self: TURN ON METAL DETECTOR AT VEHICLE BEFORE LEAVING!!!:stupidrb:

Had a great time this weekend and wouldn't change anything. Met a bunch of nice folks from Club Space Rock to boot.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

post-1619-0-44740000-1300761926_thumb.jp

post-1619-0-44012500-1300761948_thumb.jp

Richard, Great to have your first of many finds in the bag!!! Fantastic!!! Keep them coming!! Stan as usual well done!!, and Bryan wow a 158 grammer Very Nice!!! Can I talk you into posting a pic or two? Good Hunting Guys and Gal. Clifton

Congrats to you guys. Great finds and good pics. :thumbsupanim

Wayne

Twas a great weekend!

I was so pumped up during the weekend I just had to go hunting today (Tuesday). Totals for today's hunt...

Find 1 - 1.4g iron Sub surface 1"

Find 2 - 0.2g iron Sub surface 1"

Find3 - 255.6g OC (Now a member of the 200 club) Surface

Find4 - 7.9g OC Surface

Find5 - 11.2g OC Surface

Find6 - 18.3g OC Surface

Find7 - 4.7g OC Surface.

Picture of big OC to follow...What a day.

Jim

Great job Jim.....Keep it up !

Patick.....

Thanks

Here is the link to the big one..... http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org/DSCN0099.jpg

I am pooped...but a happy camper.

Jim

Great finds Jim! Hope to get out and do some hunting soon, but I've only got a CZ-6a

to use. Still, it'll be fun trying.

BTW, that image was massive, so I reduced it in size for those with dial-up or

slower internet (like me..lol)

post-25173-0-26438200-1300843162_thumb.j

Mike

Aloha Jim,

WOOF!! Now that is one nice find buddy. Oh yeah, you are a member of the 200 gram club. Okay now what are you going to do for an encore?:unsure:

Looks like that one was on the surface for a long time. Was it anywhere near an area we were hunting or did you finally decide to try some place new? Where ever you found it I bet you did some hiking to get to it.:olddude:

I am still a little stiff around the knees and lower back. May take a week off to recuperate. OR MAYBE NOT!! We will see how the week goes.

Me thinks Gold Basin looks pretty good because I can just drive up to a meteorite instead of hiking a couple of miles to find one.:thumbsupanim

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Ka'imi

BTW: that honker would have been great on Jasons video.

Great finds Jim! Hope to get out and do some hunting soon, but I've only got a CZ-6a

Mike

Hi Mike!

I keep them big because then folks can use the macro feature and "tune" around to see the thing. I am not a camera person by any means...I am surprised i can even see the screen before a take a picture! And, it does not tie up this server. But thanks! I do not know what a CZ-6a is???? There was a fellow out there today I met in the field using just a magnet stick because he found out his Garrett 350 would not see meteorites. I think Garrett needs to fix that issue. Anyways, just before i met him, he found a meteorite....I'd guess about 25g. He flew out from Florida just to hunt Franconia! Wow! he is part of the Club Space Rock and they were out there all weekend. He had been hunting all weekend and finally found one! Very cool for him!!

Mike

Mike,

I own a Fisher CZ-6A as well and I use mine for relics and beach hunting, I know mine will hit well and pretty deep on big iron relics and I don't see why it wouldn't hit on those space rocks but I've never had the chance to be in an area to find out, I only know one way for you to find out and that is to try it on one if you know anyone that has a meteorite to do a test.

I wouldn't get rid of my CZ-6A they're still one great detector for coins,jewelry and relics and mine will hit on a nice size gold nugget (2 grams and up) in an air test with no problems, but being a VLF it will not handle highly mineralized ground.

Skip

Hi Mike!

I keep them big because then folks can use the macro feature and "tune" around to see the thing. I am not a camera person by any means...I am surprised i can even see the screen before a take a picture! And, it does not tie up this server. But thanks! I do not know what a CZ-6a is???? <snip>

Ahh..makes sense. We only get about 500k on DSL out here in the forest, so big pics take a minute or so to load. Still, no worries as it was well worth the wait.. :thumbsupanim

The CZ-6a was one of Fisher's best machines back when I bought it in the early '90's. I was a rabid coin and jewelery hunter for about 5 years, and hunted all over W. Washington. Never did any gold nugget or meteorite hunting, although I would bet I've found more than one and considered them as a hot rock, never thinking of meteorite.

Mike,

I own a Fisher CZ-6A as well and I use mine for relics and beach hunting, I know mine will hit well and pretty deep on big iron relics and I don't see why it wouldn't hit on those space rocks but I've never had the chance to be in an area to find out, I only know one way for you to find out and that is to try it on one if you know anyone that has a meteorite to do a test.

I wouldn't get rid of my CZ-6A they're still one great detector for coins,jewelry and relics and mine will hit on a nice size gold nugget (2 grams and up) in an air test with no problems, but being a VLF it will not handle highly mineralized ground.

Skip

Thanks for the great info Skip! I've been wanting to make a trip down to the Winnemucca area for the past few years just to hang out in some of the old desert I used to love spending time in when hunting. Doing some gold nugget hunting is absolutely on the list, so I'll find out how the old gal does in that mineralized ground. I also haven't detected since losing the hearing in my right ear (surgically), so the left ear is going to have to buck up and be extra sensitive.. :grin:

Plan was to use all metal mode and dig everything. Worst case I get some exercise hiking, and best case I find something to bring home. Winner either way.

Mike

Bryan, Thank You for the pic of the 158.5 grammer, looks just Great!!!, and Jim WOW look out, we're going to have to put some big rocks in your back pack to slow you down some, dang a sweet 255.6 grammer plus the others; out twice in the week!!! Real Good Hunting Guys!!! Clifton

Richard, Stan, and Bryan,

Congrats on all your finds. Sounds like a great outing, sorry we missed it. Last year, we were out there by ourselves. Oh well!

Jim,

It wasn't that long ago that you had lost your cherry and bagged your first space rock. But now, after finding the 255 grammer, I'm afraid that I have to revoke your "newbie" status, ha ha. You rock!

Ben

Twas a great weekend!

I was so pumped up during the weekend I just had to go hunting today (Tuesday). Totals for today's hunt...

Find 1 - 1.4g iron Sub surface 1"

Find 2 - 0.2g iron Sub surface 1"

Find3 - 255.6g OC (Now a member of the 200 club) Surface

Find4 - 7.9g OC Surface

Find5 - 11.2g OC Surface

Find6 - 18.3g OC Surface

Find7 - 4.7g OC Surface.

Picture of big OC to follow...What a day.

Jim

Jim

Wow! what a great group of finds. I have to find a way to make it back out there during the middle of the week.

kgmrg aka Richard

Jim

Wow! what a great group of finds. I have to find a way to make it back out there during the middle of the week.

kgmrg aka Richard

Hi Richard!

It was good meeting you and a pleasure hunting with you. And congrats on your first chondrite find! You know all those irons you find count too and are still awesome finds. So pat yourself on the back for those finds too! A detectorist will find the irons and you are finding them as good as anyone else. Were you not walking BEHIND Stan when you found that odd shaped piece :hahaha::hahaha: and Wendy and me :eee:

I am good for a hunt just about anytime, so if you plan a hunt, give me a call and I'll hunt with you anytime. Wendy says we are going on Sunday (isn't that awesome...."Yes Dear I suppose I can go"... as if she has to twist my arm!! happy0193[1].gif ) and I may also go on Friday. I am trying to beat the heat and I know it's going to be a hot humid summer. BTW, my elevation theory held true, yesterday.

Cheers!

Jim

Richard, Stan, and Bryan,

Congrats on all your finds. Sounds like a great outing, sorry we missed it. Last year, we were out there by ourselves. Oh well!

Jim,

It wasn't that long ago that you had lost your cherry and bagged your first space rock. But now, after finding the 255 grammer, I'm afraid that I have to revoke your "newbie" status, ha ha. You rock!

Ben

Hi Ben!

Yeah...Journeyman Hunter is 5 years!! happy0193[1].gif Well, I am working at it. 21 finds in last 4 months in this day and age....not too bad.

Jim

Desertsunburn it's good to see that all you guys are still finding them in Franconia, and I was glad to see you put out the warning that anybody that is following behind Mr. Lucky (Stan) doesn't stand a chance. Ha, Ha.

But I guess that just comes with the fact that you guys put in the time in the fields, call it luck or what ever you want to, there is nothing like putting in the hours out in the fields, to make you look good, or lucky..!

Nice finds guys...!

Rick