Nugget Shooter Forums

meteorites nevada

i dont hunt in dry lake beds usualy and come across deposits of magnetite which are very similiar to meteorites.my collection has many possible meteorites i will have to get pics online soon

i dont hunt in dry lake beds usualy and come across deposits of magnetite which are very similiar to meteorites.my collection has many possible meteorites i will have to get pics online soon

Westcoast,

Magnetite is not like any meteorite I know of but it can fool you in the field until you look at it.

1. Magnetite steaks black either on a ceramic test block or sand paper. Meteorites will not streak black.

2. Magnetite is typically iron-black. I've never seen an iron black meteorite.

3. Magnetite is typically more magnetic than a typical ordinary chondrite. It is very apparent on side by side comparisons.

Take a look at http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org and read the file on what to do if you think you found a meteorite. It will give you some real basic information on how to test your specimens.

Jim

thanks jim i have a couple different looking meteorites one of them is oxidized red but not hemitite and the deposit of magnetite is massive ore, samples are bigger than a volleyball,the others look metallic dark purple with black nodules on them,on the inside is shiny specs of metal,very different from any thing ive ever seen.hopefully i get pics on here soon,but am planing to try and make it to portland universary,classifacation through the mail can take months now that the market is flooded due to new crater find in africa. looks like i have found a cm-1 like the one in moapa valley nevada but the size of a soft ball i love this place anyone you know around carson city that has expert advice or contact close by?

thanks jim i have a couple different looking meteorites one of them is oxidized red but not hemitite and the deposit of magnetite is massive ore, samples are bigger than a volleyball,the others look metallic dark purple with black nodules on them,on the inside is shiny specs of metal,very different from any thing ive ever seen.hopefully i get pics on here soon,but am planing to try and make it to portland universary,classifacation through the mail can take months now that the market is flooded due to new crater find in africa. looks like i have found a cm-1 like the one in moapa valley nevada but the size of a soft ball i love this place anyone you know around carson city that has expert advice or contact close by?

[/quote

:blink:I am pretty sure you are going to be disappointed in your findings! What tests have you performed??? Purple with Black Nodules???:wacko:

Carson city has a High School or some form of middle school???? Take you rocks there and ask the science teacher.

Jim

From what ive gathered, there are two people in the state of nevada that can officially verify your finds. One is Dr. David Batchelor, an astronomy professor who teaches at CCSN Charleston campus. My girlfriend has him now, and im in the geology lab next door.. The other person im unfamiliar with, but is up in reno. If you wanted to track down your possible Reno connection, get ahold of Batchelor at CCSN. Just for the record, Dr. Batchelor told me about 1/1000 people that bring him potential meterite finds actually have one.

Even Geologists with PHD's have a hard time identifying meteorites. So instead of tying up a Professors valuable time it might be a better idea to have someone who knows about meteorites have a look at them. Fortunately one of the best Southwest US meteorite hunters lives in your state. His name is Sonny Clary and here's his website-

Sonny Clary's website

Sonny has been meteorite hunting for a long time and has had some freakin awesome finds. He really knows his stuff! I'm sure he could tell you in a split second if you have meteorites or not. Personally this is the route I'd take before bringing them in for classification if I was unsure.

Don't get to excited though, from what you describe so far and without seeing pictures I'd lean towards them not being meteorites.