Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX 4000 - is it possible to run Mono coils in DD

munizaga

I have a GPX 4000 and am working in highly mineralised ground - i use the standard 11"DD most of the time becuase it is quieter. I also have two Mono coils - a 12x15 commander mono and a 5x10 Joey mono but I don't use these as I find a bit unstable. Is it possible to run the mono coils in the DD setting on the control box. If so, would this be more stable - does this mean that the strongest signal will still go through the centre of the coil - will the field shape be the same.

I know it is possible to run a DD coil in Mono mode but I don't know if you can run a Mono coil in DD mode.

If someone could enlighten me it would be great.

Allot of folks ran their mono coils in the DD setting on the 3500 and 4000 and many claimed it would settle the threshold down somewhat. The coil will still work as a mono...

I never really noticed a huge difference myself.

I have a GPX 4000 and am working in highly mineralised ground - i use the standard 11"DD most of the time becuase it is quieter. I also have two Mono coils - a 12x15 commander mono and a 5x10 Joey mono but I don't use these as I find a bit unstable. Is it possible to run the mono coils in the DD setting on the control box. If so, would this be more stable - does this mean that the strongest signal will still go through the centre of the coil - will the field shape be the same.

I know it is possible to run a DD coil in Mono mode but I don't know if you can run a Mono coil in DD mode.

If someone could enlighten me it would be great.

Mono mode will offer more threshold stability compared to DD mode due to averaging done during the receive (it's spread across two sections and then averaged). If the ground is causing the instability then I suggest you use the Sensitive Smooth timings as this will cut back on a lot of the ground noise. If EMI is an issue then Mono mode will help somewhat but only on the fluttery stuff, slowing down the Motion filter will also help with this, otherwise the only other option is Cancel mode with a DD coil (Cancel does not work with Mono coils).

A lot of this is covered in our "The GPX Factor" DVD which Bill should be able to get for you from our US distributor.

Hope this helps,

JP

Archived