Nugget Shooter Forums

Iron Canyon in El Paso Mountains

woodsy

I was recently out on the GPAA claim in Iron Mountain and noticed a lot of old dozer activity on the eastern slopes of the canyon. Does anyone know what happened there? Is this old prospecting activity? When you look an an aerial view of the location it looks like someone took a dozer and drove around in circles. The activity doesn't appear to have been very organized or purposeful. Was just curious if anyone knew anything about the location and its history. Thanks

Quote- "When you look an an aerial view of the location it looks like someone took a dozer and drove around in circles. The activity doesn't appear to have been very organized or purposeful."

You don't suppose that the Oregon gang that went to Alaska, is doing some prospecting in Arizona for a new show do ya? They could be looking for the Glory Hole, like the Old Man of the show.

Kevin

Quote- "When you look an an aerial view of the location it looks like someone took a dozer and drove around in circles. The activity doesn't appear to have been very organized or purposeful."

You don't suppose that the Oregon gang that went to Alaska, is doing some prospecting in Arizona for a new show do ya? They could be looking for the Glory Hole, like the Old Man of the show.

Kevin

Well I guess that may be a possibility! :-) Not sure how long the dozer marks have been there. I don't think they are too recent.

Could it be a reclaimed mine? The BLM will do that to an open mine and level all the tailings as you mentioned. There are now several areas in the Vultures and at LSD where you can hardly tell there was ever a shaft unless you had seen it years ago...

Bob took me to one at the top of a hill that you could drive a quad into and was 800 feet or more deep, it is now filled in along with many others. If they are found to have bats or???? they get iron bars...

You might ask Last Chance Charlie, he might know...http://www.tflcc.org/ he lives in the area, very cool guy.

You might ask Last Chance Charlie, he might know...http://www.tflcc.org/ he lives in the area, very cool guy.

blm has a responsibility to make areas, safe for all uses. Yes this means requiring holes to be filled in. Excepet in the case of a particular hole that was home to some red foxes.

I was recently out on the GPAA claim in Iron Mountain and noticed a lot of old dozer activity on the eastern slopes of the canyon. Does anyone know what happened there? Is this old prospecting activity? When you look an an aerial view of the location it looks like someone took a dozer and drove around in circles. The activity doesn't appear to have been very organized or purposeful. Was just curious if anyone knew anything about the location and its history. Thanks

your refering to iron canyon, el paso mtns in the rands district of mojave desert ca, right. thats what im assuming.im up there all the time, ill check it out when the weather clears up some.the blm has been filling in some of them shafts that go straight down, lots of off road riders just drop off in them and get killed. so they might be filling in some shaftsd for safety.

john

your refering to iron canyon, el paso mtns in the rands district of mojave desert ca, right. thats what im assuming.im up there all the time, ill check it out when the weather clears up some.the blm has been filling in some of them shafts that go straight down, lots of off road riders just drop off in them and get killed. so they might be filling in some shaftsd for safety.

john

Yes, I meant to type Iron Canyon. I think you and Bill are correct that the BLM probably filled in a vertical mine shaft. I know there are quite a few in the surrounding areas. It just never occurred to me as I was looking at the aerial view. My first thought was a fire break but it didn't make any sense to have a dozer cut a line for a bunch of desert scrub brush. Then I wondered if someone had tried to remove top soil in order to access old river gravels but due to the randomness of the dozer tracks that didn't make much sense either. The most logical explanation would be filling in an old shaft. I appreciate the response from everyone. I knew someone on this forum would have an idea. Thanks again. John, if you are still interested in checking it the tracks they are on the eastern slope of the canyon about 600 or 700 yards southwest of the Red Chispa claim.