Nugget Shooter Forums

GOLD BARS FOUND

To my old eyes, it appears as an inclined trail/roadbed...

Remember, this clue occurred prior to photographic satellite technology...

Gary

There is a dirt road there Largo but that's not it. Though it helps. A few years ago I had a enlargement made of the photos on special equipment we had at the PD for enhancing videos and photos from crime scenes. Three things were blocked out on the 2 photographs. Two faces in one picture and something up on that ridge line (the black square). Could be a natural landmark or man made that would give the site away. This would be to the north of the site. You need to ask yourself what were they looking for before they discovered the site. Spanish mine or treasure marks. They indicated in the story by their actions they were doing just that. I suspect they were west of the spanish mission looking for lost mines. There are other stories published during that time period reporting lost mines in that area. We know they were 2 miles east of a dirt road and three hours drive from town. They were north of the border but close enough it was noted on the site map. I've found sites in the past with less info. If someone had time this area could be located with google earth. If you read the stories there are several clues.

There is a dirt road there Largo but that's not it. Though it helps. A few years ago I had a enlargement made of the photos on special equipment we had at the PD for enhancing videos and photos from crime scenes. Three things were blocked out on the 2 photographs. Two faces in one picture and something up on that ridge line (the black square). Could be a natural landmark or man made that would give the site away. This would be to the north of the site. You need to ask yourself what were they looking for before they discovered the site. Spanish mine or treasure marks. They indicated in the story by their actions they were doing just that. I suspect they were west of the spanish mission looking for lost mines. There are other stories published during that time period reporting lost mines in that area. We know they were 2 miles east of a dirt road and three hours drive from town. They were north of the border but close enough it was noted on the site map. I've found sites in the past with less info. If someone had time this area could be located with google earth. If you read the stories there are several clues.

Start your Google Earth search just northwest of Yuma, AZ. Ask yourself a very basic question or two: If you found a once-in-a-lifetime cache and wanted to tell the story, how would you still keep the exact location a complete secret? The Spanish were very smart, but so are modern treasure seekers. :thumbsupanim Terry

Hi all,

After all these years, I suspect a lot of folks have examined these photos quite a bit, and, more than likely followed up on what their hunches were. The advent of todays satellite technology, photo enhancement abilities, the ability to photo shop photos to make them appear what they are not, as I indicated before, was never on the horizon, I would suspect.

In addition to what SGTFDA has pointed out, unless my eyes are worse than I think they are, there appears to be quite a development on the top of the mesa across the canyon from the holed rocks. If this is really the case, it is not the first time a photographs background had innocently given away the general location of a find. To be quite honest, I do believe that the story has more descriptive "tells", than the writer innocently intended to include, at the time it was written.

There appears to be level roof lines, combined with steps in those roof lines, then the blacked out area, which is likely hiding a sign, a distinctive tower or roof stack of some sort. Then, there is another level roof line, with something such as a roof attachment along the ridge, perhaps a small dormer, possibly a vent, or a chimney, then a little further, there is a pitched, or angled roof line. That is the take on what I see.

I would say this location is not far from a very early cultural artifact, upon which property, there was a valuable find in the past decade. The country is, or was, pretty wild way back when the gold was deposited. The folks that originally placed the treasure there, likely had some free labor to excavate the tunnel, as well as burying the gold in its various locations, making sure there were no tellers of tales after the work was completed, you might say.

Modern development, whether intentionally or otherwise, has put in place the man made skyline where you now see it, having a nice view of the surrounding countryside. You must know, that this is all speculation on my part, never having been in the area...

What Terry says has a great deal of merit!

Speculation on the story its supposed location is most of what makes this story incredibly interesting. Some years back we had another lengthy discussion on this forum, regarding another suspected, and possibly related treasure location further norte...

Dog gone it J.B, see what ya started???

~LARGO~

Here is a picture of the cross on top of the hill.

What the article didn't say was what came after the find. Here is the rest of the story:

The group spent some time time secretly shopping the gold around to see how much they could expect to net from the find. They finally settled with a buyer in Washington State for somewhere near $500,000.

Dave

post-1046-0-47514600-1300077211_thumb.jp