Nugget Shooter Forums

Bedrock ?

scott3165

Another newbie question.

I found some bedrock that is not in a stream or near the edge, the bedrock is probably several hundred yards (if not farther) from the stream.

Is there any gold found in these types of bedrock or should you only look at bedrock in or near water?

Scott

Could very easily be highbar-simply look for rounded rocks laid down on the bedrock,take a screwdriver, crevice tool,chisel & hammer,coat hanger ANYTHING to clean them cracks and crevices where mother nature has been classifying the gold for millions of years=free labor-John :whoope:

You may have found a good spot as long as you're allowed to prospect there. :shhhhh:

Pay attention to the slope of the bedrock.

If any cracks go across the slope, start with them. :brows:

Clean out any "bowls" or depressions of any kind.

:stupidrb: Crevasing tools are a must, and ya might want to take a couple of metal wedges and a small sledge too. Ya can get down in, and easier to clean out material. A small whisk broom is a big help.

Ya might wanna wear some type of safety glasses too. Gotta protect them peepers. ;)

There you have it Scott...two very good suggestions from people that are in the know...I can only add that if you start to

find color in the crevices get a gasoline vac-pac and really clean out the cracks!!!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I went out yesterday and took some samples from some cracks brought them home and didn't find any color.

I'm going to go back today and shoot some video to show and see if you agree with my spots.

I'm going to go deeper into the cracks and check some other spots also.

The bedrock is up along and on top of the hillside that goes along the river which is about 50ft high and very steep. The bedrock extends probably 30ft on the top popping out all over the place and then there are houses and a road. So if this was an old river bank it was a looong time ago and if not then that is my question. Would there be any reason for gold to be here just because there is bedrock?

Maybe with the video you will get a better picture.

Scott

Would there be any reason for gold to be here just because there is bedrock?

Scott

No. Placer gold is transported. There has to be a force to move it over the bedrock.

The most common force is water. It would take a heck of a wind to move gold.

Go deeper--you ain't done till ya hit bottom as surface testing in a crack is usually purt near worthless. Beat,smash do anything required to clean them cracks out COMPLETELY to properly access what ya have. Why gold up there?? that creek was usually not where it was a million years ago. Earth axis has shifted,massive climate changes,the earth is in a CONSTANT state of erosion and them creeks move and change coarse-John :inocent:

It's kinda like investigatine a crime scene.

Once ya know what you're looking for, there are tell

tale signs of what took place there, geologicly.

Maybe a stream flowed there, maybe not. I would go

ahead sampling just in case it did. ;)

Using a vacuum is an great idea.

Tip: car vacuum and a motorcycle battery works. They are light and easy to handle. :brows:

Or, you may have followed up behind someone who had the same idea.

If you can drive up very close to it, others have seen it as well.

......then again,.....ya never know 'til ya look. :hmmmmm:

If I bypass what I think is a good spoot, it can haunt me for weeks, months, even years. :zapped:

post-25165-0-61767800-1300039323_thumb.j

post-25165-0-93123300-1300039343_thumb.j

post-25165-0-95590500-1300039369_thumb.j

The tops to the bedrock are rounded and sloping towards the river. Haven't seem much for other rocks because the ground is covered in leaves, branches and such.

Here are a couple pictures I took this morning and took alot of samples from crevices.

Will let you know if I find anything. :rolleyes:

If you do take a Backpack vac, be sure to take a small piece, (24 inches or so ) of 1/2 inch plastic hose and duct tape. After you vacuum as deep as you can with the stock hose ,tape on the smaller hose and keep going down to the bedrock. But of course if the nugget is too big for the 1/2 inch hose, it will at least clean out the hole so you can SEE it !!! Good Luck Dave

Great news, found GOLD!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsupanim

The problem is there is no black sand and it is so small I was not noticing it but luckely I panned the dirt into another bigger bucket. I did have a few bigger flakes that I could pick out with tweezers.

How am I going to get all these flakes out? I tried panning but most of the flakes were washing out when I got down to hardly anything in the pan.

Also I remember the spot I got these from and I dug down in between two big bedrock pieces that were on a slope. I figured at some point in time when there was water going down between the rocks it had to be deeper in the ground. I only dug down about 30" and didn't hit bedrock bottom so I'm hoping that I will find bigger pieces.

Scott

Another newbie question.

I found some bedrock that is not in a stream or near the edge, the bedrock is probably several hundred yards (if not farther) from the stream.

Is there any gold found in these types of bedrock or should you only look at bedrock in or near water?

Scott

Yes,

Could be part of an ancient river channel

• 3 weeks later...

I also found a bunch of what I believe is Vesicular Basalt. There is about a 20ft radius of these rocks all over the ground. I'm wondering if this would be a better spot to dig? I can see the tops of bedrock also in this area.

I will get a picture of this rock and post it.