Nugget Shooter Forums

Question about gold in western NC

golddawg

My husband and I own 14 acres of land in Rutherford Co., NC. Last summer we have it all clear cut and discovered that we had natural springs at the bottom of the property. This was perfect for me since I raise Koi and I now had a very healthy place to dig a few grow ponds and breeding ponds. We starting digging the first pond at the end of last summer and after digging down about 3.5 to 4 feet starting digging up alot of clay and white granite rocks. The clay has many different colors. First there was the dark gray clay and as we dug deeper, the colors started showing. It is from lime green to a gold color and some slate blue. I took some of the green clay and put it into my pan with water and just slushed it around some to see what would happen. Alot of gold flakes ended up in the bottom of my pan. I figured it was just fools gold and put it back. Besides, I was just playing around. Since then, we have talked to alot of the neighbors that have been there for many, many years and they have all told us that it was always said that there was gold in our area. The springs are all over the bottom of our property. You can only dig down about a foot before hitting water. But as stated earlier, after digging down 3.5 to 4 feet, you start hitting the white granite rock and clay. Can anyone advise me on this and if you think that it would be worth the effort to dig here and see what we can come up with?

Thanks

Plenty of gold in NC---made several trips there myself. Since it is your property--have at it. You may just want to sink a few sample holes and see if there is enough to make it worth it. If your hitting the water table that quickly it makes for extra sloppy fun. My experience in the southeast is that the clay often traps the gold above it or below---the better streaks tend to be below the clay level as it is stationary---streaks above the clay level tend to migrate and you can have a streak start off with great color and then quickly peter out.

Poke around older sites in NC and you see a lot of what I call shallow pit mining. The mini-rush during the Great Depression had quite a few old timers digging pits about six feet across and ten to fifteen feet deep--then dropping metal culverts into the pit so they cold just jump into the muddy hole and work a homemade rocker box. Same pits did me right with a high-banker--you can do the same on your property---pits are easy enough to fill back in if nothing pans out.

My husband and I own 14 acres of land in Rutherford Co., NC. Last summer we have it all clear cut and discovered that we had natural springs at the bottom of the property. This was perfect for me since I raise Koi and I now had a very healthy place to dig a few grow ponds and breeding ponds. We starting digging the first pond at the end of last summer and after digging down about 3.5 to 4 feet starting digging up alot of clay and white granite rocks. The clay has many different colors. First there was the dark gray clay and as we dug deeper, the colors started showing. It is from lime green to a gold color and some slate blue. I took some of the green clay and put it into my pan with water and just slushed it around some to see what would happen. Alot of gold flakes ended up in the bottom of my pan. I figured it was just fools gold and put it back. Besides, I was just playing around. Since then, we have talked to alot of the neighbors that have been there for many, many years and they have all told us that it was always said that there was gold in our area. The springs are all over the bottom of our property. You can only dig down about a foot before hitting water. But as stated earlier, after digging down 3.5 to 4 feet, you start hitting the white granite rock and clay. Can anyone advise me on this and if you think that it would be worth the effort to dig here and see what we can come up with?

Thanks

I own property in McDowell County which adjoins your county, if you are seeing blue clay and possibly green sands, keep your eyes open for rubies as well as gold, just left my farm this afternoon found some gold flakes and one nice ruby. If you want to contact me you can come up and see if you've got similar material to what I have. If the gold flakes stayed in your pan after everything else was gone, it's more than likely gold. Most of the rubies will have a greenish mica looking shist on them in our area, so if you see a stone that looks like that check it out before you toss it. Look close to see if you see any redness or possibly a purple tint on the stone.

Golddawg,

Sent you a PM. I am a geologist from Rutherford County, NC. Was raised there and lived there for 40 years before moving 5 years ago. Live in Beaufort, SC now. I have a lot of experience with gold mining in Rutherford, McDowell and Burke Counties in NC. Would be happy to assist you anyway that I can.

Thanks,

Robert

Thanks for all the help. I need all I can get since I am new at this. My problem with digging is that the holes fill up so fast with water, I cannot get to the bottom. The only way we can do it is to dig the dirt out with the backhoe and sift through it after we get it out. I sold my scubba gear years ago....lol.

I own property in McDowell County which adjoins your county, if you are seeing blue clay and possibly green sands, keep your eyes open for rubies as well as gold, just left my farm this afternoon found some gold flakes and one nice ruby. If you want to contact me you can come up and see if you've got similar material to what I have. If the gold flakes stayed in your pan after everything else was gone, it's more than likely gold. Most of the rubies will have a greenish mica looking shist on them in our area, so if you see a stone that looks like that check it out before you toss it. Look close to see if you see any redness or possibly a purple tint on the stone.

I would love to come up and have a look. I pressed for time right now as we're tearing down an old barn in the Asheville area for the wood. I want to build a small barn down toward the springs, and I prefer the old wood to Lowe's new wood. Maybe when it gets a bit warmer and I have a little more time I can contact you and ride up. Comparing the clay. I have not seen any green sands, just the lime green clay. It is only a small amount mixed in with the blue/grey and gold clay. I would love to find some rubies though. Thanks for the tip.