Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willy Bayot

Powerful Meteorite Detecting tool

Hi,

If you are looking for meteorites in a desert, the best tool to cover a large area in a short time is a PPM (proton precession magnetometer). This instrument does not detect anything other than ferro-magnetic material (iron, steel, nickel) but it does it with much higher sensitivity than ANY metal detector on earth.

It will also detect rocky meteorites provided this rock has a good level of magnetite in it.

Metallic meteorites rapidly degrade in wet ground but they keep very well in desert.

The best method to cover a large ground is to pull a non-magnetic cart with a small vehicle like a quad.

Go to this link: http://users.skynet.be/fa352591/index.htm

You will find there a very good instrument costing much less than any commercial instrument and working as well if not better.

This PPM makes one reading per second which corresponds to one reading per step (or about per meter) for a walking operator.

It sensitivity will enable to detect any metallic meteorite on the survey track, even if it is buried one meter deep.

It can also be equipped with an integrated GPS which makes it even more flexible since you can correlate later the position of a potential target with the field gradients it generates. This means that you can drive your vehicle all over the area without looking at the instrument while it records both the GPS fixes and the PPM data and then, study the survey grid in a comfortable place to spot the potential targets, then go back to this point with the GPS.

Willy

Problem is the MAG will not find or see the little guys! You would be luck to find the Lunch Box size one.

:inocent:

Hi,

If you are looking for meteorites in a desert, the best tool to cover a large area in a short time is a PPM (proton precession magnetometer). This instrument does not detect anything other than ferro-magnetic material (iron, steel, nickel) but it does it with much higher sensitivity than ANY metal detector on earth.

It will also detect rocky meteorites provided this rock has a good level of magnetite in it.

Metallic meteorites rapidly degrade in wet ground but they keep very well in desert.

The best method to cover a large ground is to pull a non-magnetic cart with a small vehicle like a quad.

Go to this link: http://users.skynet.be/fa352591/index.htm

You will find there a very good instrument costing much less than any commercial instrument and working as well if not better.

This PPM makes one reading per second which corresponds to one reading per step (or about per meter) for a walking operator.

It sensitivity will enable to detect any metallic meteorite on the survey track, even if it is buried one meter deep.

It can also be equipped with an integrated GPS which makes it even more flexible since you can correlate later the position of a potential target with the field gradients it generates. This means that you can drive your vehicle all over the area without looking at the instrument while it records both the GPS fixes and the PPM data and then, study the survey grid in a comfortable place to spot the potential targets, then go back to this point with the GPS.

Willy

I do not agree. A PPM will detect a 'lunch box' size one at two meters distance and tiny ones at a much smaller distance than any metal detector. A PPM has a sensitivity which is inversely proportional to the third power of the distance while a metal detector has a sensitivity which is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the distance. Those are physical rules, nothing related to the quality of an instrument. That makes a great difference for the same mass of iron or nickel.

Willy

I do not agree. A PPM will detect a 'lunch box' size one at two meters distance and tiny ones at a much smaller distance than any metal detector. A PPM has a sensitivity which is inversely proportional to the third power of the distance while a metal detector has a sensitivity which is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the distance. Those are physical rules, nothing related to the quality of an instrument. That makes a great difference for the same mass of iron or nickel.

Willy

Hey Willy,

If you ever want to come out on one of our hunts and demo/test a unit I am sure you would be welcomed. How many meteorites have you found with this unit?

A question I have is how fast can I walk and have it detect a typical 10 gram L Chondrite sub-surface 6"???

Jim

Hey Willy,

If you ever want to come out on one of our hunts and demo/test a unit I am sure you would be welcomed. How many meteorites have you found with this unit?

A question I have is how fast can I walk and have it detect a typical 10 gram L Chondrite sub-surface 6"???

Jim

That would be a long trip for me to go up there with you.

Never found any myself since I do not personally search for meteorites (I use the PPM for archaeological surveys looking for underground structures like wall foundations, wells, fire pits,...) but I know somebody in Canada using our PPM on a Quad-pulled cart to do it.

It depends on the percentage of Fe-Ni contained in it but, I must admit that an H Chondrite should probably be detected more easily.

Willy

That would be a long trip for me to go up there with you.

Never found any myself since I do not personally search for meteorites (I use the PPM for archaeological surveys looking for underground structures like wall foundations, wells, fire pits,...) but I know somebody in Canada using our PPM on a Quad-pulled cart to do it.

It depends on the percentage of Fe-Ni contained in it but, I must admit that an H Chondrite should probably be detected more easily.

Willy

Gosh Willy, it's nice to meet you to, but I'm very put off by someone that has never posted before, and wants to sell me something without even giving me a peck on the cheek first. Then there is the oldest red flag in my book: "Never found any myself..", "but I know somebody in Canada .." Dude! C'mon. Who is actually using this unit for meteorite hunting - where are they - what have they found - where are the photos, testimonials - anything? - Terry

yes, Willy, this appears to be a thinly veiled advertisement...with some misleading verbage...full disclosure, please...are you selling or promoting these?

fred

OK! I'll just come out and say it!

NO MAGNOMITER is going to find a 1/2 lb Meteorite while you walk over it.

I doubt he's ever even used one. :inocent:

Well, this isn't the first time proton mags have been brought up for the purpose of meteorite hunting. While they may actually work, I think it's use would be severely restricted. A metal detector would be much better for all around use.... :twocents:

Steve

"This instrument does not detect anything other than ferro-magnetic material (iron, steel, nickel) but it does it with much higher sensitivity than ANY metal detector on earth.

It will also detect rocky meteorites provided this rock has a good level of magnetite in it."

If this is true how is the machine of any value in an archaeological site to locate old hidden structures?

Is magnetite ferrous? Isnt it ferric?

yes, Willy, this appears to be a thinly veiled advertisement...with some misleading verbage...full disclosure, please...are you selling or promoting these?

fred

I thought I was clear that this is an instrument that we build and sell for several years now. I have posted the link to our web site in my first entry on this forum. Sorry if you understood that I was trying to hide this fact.

Look at these two forums where we are already active for a long time.

http://thunting.com/smf/magnetometers-b179.0/

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

It is true that I personally have no experience with meteorite hunting but I have plenty of experience with magnetometer technology and its actual applications in the field and I am sure that most of the meteorites containing enough percentage of Fe-Ni would be detectable much more easily and at larger distances than with a VLF in all-metal mode or PI.

Note that I am not claiming any miracle. I just try to inform you that this technology exists and can be exercised with existing instruments costing no more than a good PI.

Willy

Did YOU ever try?

Willy

Well, this isn't the first time proton mags have been brought up for the purpose of meteorite hunting. While they may actually work, I think it's use would be severely restricted. A metal detector would be much better for all around use.... :twocents:

Steve

Could you tell how its use would be 'severely restricted'?

Thanks,

Willy

"This instrument does not detect anything other than ferro-magnetic material (iron, steel, nickel) but it does it with much higher sensitivity than ANY metal detector on earth.

It will also detect rocky meteorites provided this rock has a good level of magnetite in it."

If this is true how is the machine of any value in an archaeological site to locate old hidden structures?

Is magnetite ferrous? Isnt it ferric?

Magnetite is ferrous, it is mainly what 'black sands' are made of.

If the earth magnetic flow is disturbed, a sensitive mag will detect it. On the contrary, rust is ferric, it does not indeed disturb the magnetic field.

A mag is even detecting the difference in ground composition when any human activity has disturbed the buried structures like when a trench has been made and then, refilled with different ground material or when the ground has been cooked by a fire pit.

Willy

It looks like I have 'severely disturbed' the certainties of both Homefire and Goldfinger. :aw-shucks:

I am so sorry for that!!

Willy

Magnetite is ferrous, it is mainly what 'black sands' are made of.

If the earth magnetic flow is disturbed, a sensitive mag will detect it. On the contrary, rust is ferric, it does not indeed disturb the magnetic field.

A mag is even detecting the difference in ground composition when any human activity has disturbed the buried structures like when a trench has been made and then, refilled with different ground material or when the ground has been cooked by a fire pit.

Willy

Willy,

The offer stands. You are more than welcomed to come out with us and hunt or demo the unit. This is an offer you should not pass up! You could make believers at of all of us. I have a few pounds of meteorites I could bring...all different...L's H's, etc. we could dig a hole and see how this puppy works on them. I'd think if you wanted to sell these, a real-world demo in our world would be a great opportunity for you. Keep in mine not all Detectors are VLF. PI's are very common now-a-days. Some are making strides at analyzing what they hit on (not sure they really work???) but as time goes on, I think they can only get better.

If it doesn't go "zip-zip" or "wheeeewwwhahhaaaawooow" (okay I don't use a 3500...but is sounds like someone needs to shoot it)happy0193[1].gif you'll have to "show me"

Jim

It looks like I have 'severely disturbed' the certainties of both Homefire and Goldfinger. :aw-shucks:

I am so sorry for that!!

Willy

LOL! You've not up set me in any fashion or form.

Yes I have used a mag before and Even with a Logger, you would be pressed to find a 24lb canon ball.

:rolleyes:

Hi Willy,

I'm very new to this site, and am fairly new to recreational prospecting as well. I do however have over 10 years of forum Admin and Moderation experience, meaning I can smell a "troll" from a long ways off.

The only thread on the entire site that you have posted to is this one. You started the thread for the express purpose of promoting your product, and since there are knowledgeable people here, you're getting a few "objections" (and not handling them well at all, I might add).

The site owner here has to be one nice fellow, as otherwise you would have been shown the door already. I appreciate that you want to sell your devices, but try advertising (the paid kind) instead of trolling these forums looking for innocent people that will buy into all the confusing technology you are promoting.

Just my 2 centavos worth.

Mike

Hi Willy,

I'm very new to this site, and am fairly new to recreational prospecting as well. I do however have over 10 years of forum Admin and Moderation experience, meaning I can smell a "troll" from a long ways off.

The only thread on the entire site that you have posted to is this one. You started the thread for the express purpose of promoting your product, and since there are knowledgeable people here, you're getting a few "objections" (and not handling them well at all, I might add).

The site owner here has to be one nice fellow, as otherwise you would have been shown the door already. I appreciate that you want to sell your devices, but try advertising (the paid kind) instead of trolling these forums looking for innocent people that will buy into all the confusing technology you are promoting.

Just my 2 centavos worth.

Mike

No problem at all.

I'll shut the door myself.

Have a good day!!

Willy

Willy,

The offer stands. You are more than welcomed to come out with us and hunt or demo the unit. This is an offer you should not pass up! You could make believers at of all of us. I have a few pounds of meteorites I could bring...all different...L's H's, etc. we could dig a hole and see how this puppy works on them. I'd think if you wanted to sell these, a real-world demo in our world would be a great opportunity for you. Keep in mine not all Detectors are VLF. PI's are very common now-a-days. Some are making strides at analyzing what they hit on (not sure they really work???) but as time goes on, I think they can only get better.

If it doesn't go "zip-zip" or "wheeeewwwhahhaaaawooow" (okay I don't use a 3500...but is sounds like someone needs to shoot it)happy0193[1].gif you'll have to "show me"

Jim

I have been welcomed by a number of 'machine gun' operators but that is not important, I know that many have built their hard certainties and seem to be disturbed in their habits by any new facts.

This is indeed a much more 'reasonable' post in response to my candid posting.

A few years ago, I have designed and built a working prototype of a discriminating PI system. However, I was rather unhappy with its results in terms of its discriminating capabilities and I did not proceed to any production stage.

Both VLF and PI instruments are based on an ACTIVE eddy-current inducing technology which responds to the 'inversely proportional to the fourth power of the distance' physical rule. A PPM is based on a PASSIVE field listening technology and thus, responds to the 'inversely proportional to the fourth power of the distance' rule. This makes the mag potentially more sensitive to targets than a metal detector, either the same mass at longer distances or smaller targets at the same distance.

The only (real) limitation of a mag is that it is only able to detect ferro-magnetic material but it does it much more effectively than any metal detector, even equipped with large coils.

AZ is a long trip for a retired Belgian guy or even for my Canadian BC partner.

Thus, I am afraid that I could not accept your kind offer but we have a number of happy clients proving that our system is at least equivalent in sensitivity and as professional as more expensive commercial mag units. This means that we have proven that we detect field gradients of around 0.2nT at a rate of one reading per second. A mass of one pound of iron generates a field gradient of 6nT at a distance of 2 meters and 2nT at 3 meters. Compare this to the results of a PI with the same mass and the same distance.

My main point in posting on this forum was just to show that a PPM with an integrated GPS and carried on a vehicle could cover a very large area of a presumed meteor strewn field in a desert within a short time frame.

Willy

Willy, I am just a new member here, so my *opinion* doesn't mean squat in the big scheme of things, and it's certainly not my call how the site owner chooses to manage his site.

Do as you wish, but don't base it on my comments as I was simply sharing my thoughts on your posts. Technically, I have no idea if your device works, or not, however the good folks here seem to have some concerns over the accuracy of your comments and claims.

Q: Do you have any data from actual searches? Anything that says: We set our test up using "X" and performed the test "X" times, and came up with "X" results?

Investing in a "theory" is about the same as providing venture capitol; it's always a risk. Are there any professional articles (white paper) showing positive results, and that have been written by users of your specific technology?

Mike

I have been welcomed by a number of 'machine gun' operators but that is not important, I know that many have built their hard certainties and seem to be disturbed in their habits by any new facts.

This is indeed a much more 'reasonable' post in response to my candid posting.

AZ is a long trip for a retired Belgian guy or even for my Canadian BC partner.

Thus, I am afraid that I could not accept your kind offer but we have a number of happy clients proving that our system is at least equivalent in sensitivity and as professional as more expensive commercial mag units. This means that we have proven that we detect field gradients of around 0.2nT at a rate of one reading per second. A mass of one pound of iron generates a field gradient of 6nT at a distance of 2 meters and 2nT at 3 meters. Compare this to the results of a PI with the same mass and the same distance.

Willy

I understand. I have to be honest, when you start talking nano anything to me you loose me a bunch!! I spent half a day digging nano wire recently, looking for small iron meteorites, and I am still recovering from that ordeal.

Another suggestion you might consider is the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show. There are a few hundred or more dealers at that show that come from around the world to sell their goods. If there was a market for your product in the meteorite world, that would be a place to prove it....or not.

Now if you would have announced a large PI coil kit you designed, I'd have jumped all over that! happy0193[1].gif

Good luck with your venture.

Jim

Jim, FWIW I believe he is referring to nano-Tesla, which is a unit of measure in the magnetic field. For reference, an average MRI magnet runs from about 1/2 Tesla up to about 2 Tesla (that's a huge magnet!).

Mike

Who knows? I have no idea of the technology and what it is capable of. I figure my little neo on the end of a ski pole has enough teslas for me.

Does a magnetometer go "beep", "zip" or "Weee-Wooo"?

Willy, I am just a new member here, so my *opinion* doesn't mean squat in the big scheme of things, and it's certainly not my call how the site owner chooses to manage his site.

Do as you wish, but don't base it on my comments as I was simply sharing my thoughts on your posts. Technically, I have no idea if your device works, or not, however the good folks here seem to have some concerns over the accuracy of your comments and claims.

Q: Do you have any data from actual searches? Anything that says: We set our test up using "X" and performed the test "X" times, and came up with "X" results?

Investing in a "theory" is about the same as providing venture capitol; it's always a risk. Are there any professional articles (white paper) showing positive results, and that have been written by users of your specific technology?

Mike

Look at this document:

http://users.skynet.be/fa352591/PPM%20MarkII%20test%20results.PDF

This is a comparative test ground which has been setup by a team of our existing clients.

Willy