Nugget Shooter Forums

Could this be a meteorite?

post-25180-0-24174900-1299450689_thumb.jpost-25180-0-20668000-1299450771_thumb.jpost-25180-0-17317100-1299449692_thumb.jpost-25180-0-67213300-1299449746_thumb.jFirst of all hello everyone, I new to this forum and my name is Tim and I live in middle Tennessee.

I found this in my back yard where some water washed away some soil the other day. I put it in my pocket thinking it was obsidian and was going to clen it up later. After cleaning it I noticed it was not obsidian but totally different from anything I have ever found before. I decided to try a magnet on it and it sticks to it very well. I tried a scratch test and it leaves a gray pencil colored type mark on ceramic. I filed away a small spot on it after I took pics and it is the same metallic color on the part I filed away and it has small cavaties in the part I filed away also. I took off approx 1/16" deep by 3/16" wide. Not sure of what it could be. It registers -95 on the VDI of my MXT....Any ideas? Thanks in advanced, Tim

Its possible from the looks in the photos, Know anyone with a rock or tile cutting saw ??? Cut that sucker in halve an lets see what the innerds look like then we'll know and you'll have 2 nice pieces to make jewerly out of.

Its possible from the looks in the photos, Know anyone with a rock or tile cutting saw ??? Cut that sucker in halve an lets see what the innerds look like then we'll know and you'll have 2 nice pieces to make jewerly out of.

I have a buddy here in town that is a jeweler. He may have something to cut it in half with. Maybe if I get a chance I will take it to him this week and we will see. It would be something if it was one. I always wanted to find one, Tim

post-25180-0-24174900-1299450689_thumb.jpost-25180-0-20668000-1299450771_thumb.jpost-25180-0-17317100-1299449692_thumb.jpost-25180-0-67213300-1299449746_thumb.jFirst of all hello everyone, I new to this forum and my name is Tim and I live in middle Tennessee.

I found this in my back yard where some water washed away some soil the other day. I put it in my pocket thinking it was obsidian and was going to clen it up later. After cleaning it I noticed it was not obsidian but totally different from anything I have ever found before. I decided to try a magnet on it and it sticks to it very well. I tried a scratch test and it leaves a gray pencil colored type mark on ceramic. I filed away a small spot on it after I took pics and it is the same metallic color on the part I filed away and it has small cavaties in the part I filed away also. I took off approx 1/16" deep by 3/16" wide. Not sure of what it could be. It registers -95 on the VDI of my MXT....Any ideas? Thanks in advanced, Tim

If it streaks gray, it's not a meteorite. Sorry. The streak could signify magnetite.

Steve

The trouble with the streak thing is alot of people don't realize that you have to get to the meat of the piece and streak. Most try streaking it and the outside is covered with earth minerals that have attached themselves to the exterior and or covered the outside. You have to be sure that you're down to the meat of the piece when trying the streak test.

I always like filing a window to view when I am in the field and have one I'm not sure of. When I use a real fine file I can generally get a color left on the file in most cases also to help distinguish.

It does look like a magnetite but cut that sucker in half an see if mother earth made it.

BigTim,

To help you understand the window you might check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-XJPFTbcY

That's me putting a window in a candidate chondrite....which was a meteorite.

It is important that we see this window as it reveals many things. If I understand in your message you did file on it. You mentioned you saw cavities???? If these are holes, vesicles that popped, created by gas bubbles, it's not a meteorite.

Jim

BigTim,

To help you understand the window you might check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-XJPFTbcY

That's me putting a window in a candidate chondrite....which was a meteorite.

It is important that we see this window as it reveals many things. If I understand in your message you did file on it. You mentioned you saw cavities???? If these are holes, vesicles that popped, created by gas bubbles, it's not a meteorite.

Jim

I guess the odds are against it being a meteorite since I have tried the scratch test again on the window I opened up. Leaves a light graphite colored mark on ceramic. Yes it does seem to be pourous on the interior of the piece from what small area I opened up. Still might try and cut it in half if I get a chance and see what going on in there. Tim

I found a rock very similiar to that. Even to the point "i put it in my pocket thinking it was obsidian". The orange spots are almost identical..it just looks like yours could be a little more exposed to the elements.

I found a rock very similiar to that. Even to the point "i put it in my pocket thinking it was obsidian". The orange spots are almost identical..it just looks like yours could be a little more exposed to the elements.

Any idea on what yours turned out to be?