Nugget Shooter Forums

Teachin an Old Dog New Tricks

frank c

Had a chance today to really put some miles on a new/used coil I just bought. I combo'd it up with my ML 3500, turned out to be a great combo. The 3500 liked it.

I must have hit the LAST nugget left in Gold Basin today pulled this 1.9 grammer with a really big mellow signal out from right at 6 inches. I was surprised a coil that large hit on it, and that it did real well. That ol 3500 She don't lie when I hear her let out a little scream theres ALWAYS something good there.

Hapy Huntn.

March52011FrankTeriMarvinHunt001.jpg

Aloha Frank,

Nice little nugget you got there using the earth penetrating radar from Uncle Marvins mothership.:thumbsupanim Not fair dude!mad0229[1].gif

Hopefully there is at least one more out there you left for us poor earth bound guys.

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Very nice frank. Just wait until you start popping them out smaller and deeper than that. A couple months back I nailed a 1 gram nugget with a 20" coil on my 4000 and it surprised the heck out of me. Just goes to show you what is possible when you get your ears and detector dialed in.

Very nice frank. Just wait until you start popping them out smaller and deeper than that. A couple months back I nailed a 1 gram nugget with a 20" coil on my 4000 and it surprised the heck out of me. Just goes to show you what is possible when you get your ears and detector dialed in.

Hi Del....do you remember what your settings were that day on the 4000??

Hi Del....do you remember what your settings were that day on the 4000??

Hi Don, I had my 4000 set to the typical settings I use most of the time- timings were set to sensitive smooth, gain was probably at 8 or less, motion set to very slow, audio set to Deep (though it could have been normal), and ground balance was fixed.

The signal wasn't faint at all and I was just going through the routine of digging all targets. I'm pretty sure the shape of the nugget had a lot to do with it setting my detector off because it was a nice flat piece with a decent amount of surface area only 1-2 inches deep. I remember it was a pain in the butt to pinpoint the nugget using that coil and it took me a little bit to get it out of the ground since I was still getting used to it. Oddly enough I found it right before I was getting ready to walk back to my Jeep to put a smaller coil on since the terrain called for it.

Hope this helps.

Del

Hi Don, I had my 4000 set to the typical settings I use most of the time- timings were set to sensitive smooth, gain was probably at 8 or less, motion set to very slow, audio set to Deep (though it could have been normal), and ground balance was fixed.

The signal wasn't faint at all and I was just going through the routine of digging all targets. I'm pretty sure the shape of the nugget had a lot to do with it setting my detector off because it was a nice flat piece with a decent amount of surface area only 1-2 inches deep. I remember it was a pain in the butt to pinpoint the nugget using that coil and it took me a little bit to get it out of the ground since I was still getting used to it. Oddly enough I found it right before I was getting ready to walk back to my Jeep to put a smaller coil on since the terrain called for it.

Hope this helps.

Del

Thanks Del....your settings are pretty close to what I use except 99% of the time I keep my gain at 15...