Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott3165

Gold in the North East

Hello All First Time Posting in the Forum,

I live in Massachusetts and just starting panning for gold last summer in VT. I have done a lot of research and looking at TOPO graphs and trying to understand what I am looking at and for.

My question is: Is there a chance to find gold wherever I can find bedrock?

The problem I am running into in the streams I am panning is mica, alot of it. There are alot of huge chunks of quartz rocks which I'm hoping is another sign there might be gold in the streams.

I've been looking where people have already found gold close to me and most of it is 5+hours which makes it hard to go every weekend, especially when gas is climbing well over 3.50 a gallon. So I'm trying to do more research on how and if I can find gold closer to me where it has never been found. I go out and take samples and bring them back to my house to pan out when I have the chance but no luck so far. I just found some bedrock here in MA about 20 mins away and will be going to take some samples once the snow clears up some more.

Any tips would be great for my searching!

Scott

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum I don't know much about your area but, gold has been discovered in Massachusetts in several places west of the Connecticut River.

Chester Massachusetts is know for gold and this is a town that in the past had extensive mining operations for producing emery, and one of the companies that ran some of these mines is still in business there.

Like the Abitibi gold belt of Canada there are extensive deposits of Greenstone that are found in the Eastern flank of the Berkshire Mountains. This is a continuation of the Greenstone deposits that are found in the Appalachian Mountains reaching all way from the St. Lawrence River Valley in Canada where they produce large amounts of asbestos south along the spine of the Appalachians to Alabama. It is felt by many geologists that the green stones act as a reservoir from which gold and other metals are derived through earth processes. The Abitibi Belt of Canada has produced huge amounts of gold as well as other base metals. North America's deepest mine to Kidd Creek mine located in Timmins, Ontario is an example of a mine that operates in close proximity to a Greenstone Belt. This mine is located within the Abitibi region.

These greenstone belts that are called serpentinites after the mineral serpentine. To a geologist they are fragments of oceanic crust that have been caught up in tectonic events and have been thrust up into continental crust. There are many deposits of serpentine on the east side of the Berkshires.

Scott, Wellcome I'm from Southington Conn. if you look on a map an find Thomaston CT. look for "Lead Mine Brook" its a small stream near there where you can catch some gold.

Thanks.

I found some spots that have bedrock and I'm just wondering if it worth looking at or should I put my efforts elsewhere?

Also, when I pick a new spot and do some samples should I:

1) start by getting samples at the inner bend in streams?

2) just dig in the streams or on the bank of the river or both?

3) how deep should I dig (I'm using a shovel)?

Scott

Thanks.

I found some spots that have bedrock and I'm just wondering if it worth looking at or should I put my efforts elsewhere?

Also, when I pick a new spot and do some samples should I:

1) start by getting samples at the inner bend in streams?

2) just dig in the streams or on the bank of the river or both?

3) how deep should I dig (I'm using a shovel)?

Scott

Here is a White Hot tip for you Scott!

“Fists Full of Gold” – By Chris Ralph - Cover Price $29.95

ISBN: 978-0-9842692-0-4 Goldstone Publishing; 362-pages

Some of the information contained in the book includes:

How to use a gold pan, including crevicing, mossing and sniping for gold

How to get the best recovery out of your sluice box or highbanker

How to use a suction dredge to find and recover paystreaks

How to operate a dry washer for gold

An extensive section on metal detecting, perhaps the best on the market

Building your own equipment: including building your own:

Portable sluice box

Lightweight suction dredge

Desert dry washer

How to get the most out of your black sands

How to get the best prices for your gold, specimens and nuggets

Full coverage of the geology of gold and silver mineral deposits

How to do research to find your own rich concentrations of gold:

Using and understanding topographic maps, aerial photos and GPS

Where to find little known sources of information on gold deposits

How to use geology maps to find gold

Mining law and how to stake and maintain your own claim

Platinum placers and deposits – How to prospect for them

Diamonds in placers – How to recognize them

Plus hundreds of photos, diagrams and illustrations

I KNOW, this will help you! - Terry

I think I'll have to pick up a copy, seems like a knowedgeable guy and won't break the budget.

Can't wait to get out and start the new year. We are getting pounded with rain and very bad flooding so I'll just have to wait a little longer.

Thanks for all the reply's. As a newbie, this forum is great for getting the help I need to get started in the right direction.

Scott

Scott, Terry's advice is usually good but be sure to read the disclaimer under his avatar. Terry spends a lot of time detecting on Jones Beach on Long Island, N.Y. but I suspect he makes frequent trips to Fire Island, also! :head:

Hi Scott! Get in touch with these folks:

http://www.gmpv.org/

GPAA of Vermont

E-Mail: jafoh1@cs.com

2942 Stony Brook

Northfield, Vermont 05663 USA

802-479-9151

Happy Hunting!

Hello All First Time Posting in the Forum,

I live in Massachusetts and just starting panning for gold last summer in VT. I have done a lot of research and looking at TOPO graphs and trying to understand what I am looking at and for.

My question is: Is there a chance to find gold wherever I can find bedrock?

The problem I am running into in the streams I am panning is mica, alot of it. There are alot of huge chunks of quartz rocks which I'm hoping is another sign there might be gold in the streams.

I've been looking where people have already found gold close to me and most of it is 5+hours which makes it hard to go every weekend, especially when gas is climbing well over 3.50 a gallon. So I'm trying to do more research on how and if I can find gold closer to me where it has never been found. I go out and take samples and bring them back to my house to pan out when I have the chance but no luck so far. I just found some bedrock here in MA about 20 mins away and will be going to take some samples once the snow clears up some more.

Any tips would be great for my searching!

Scott

Scott, Terry's advice is usually good but be sure to read the disclaimer under his avatar. Terry spends a lot of time detecting on Jones Beach on Long Island, N.Y. but I suspect he makes frequent trips to Fire Island, also! :head:

You've been following me haven't you?! :lol: They are rousting "the boys" off of Fire Island right now. Irene is going to tear us a new one..