Nugget Shooter Forums

Heading to Gold Basin

Aloha guys,

Rick and I will be heading out to Gold Basin on monday for a day of hunting. I will finally be using my minelab sd2200 and may end up taking a couple of different coils to experiment with to see which one I really want to use the most. I have a 10" mono, a 10" dd and a 350mm mono coiltex coil. No way am I even going to try the 18" honker of a coil.

Any suggestions from sd2200 users will be really appreciated.

Aloha and be safe,

Stan aka Ka'imi

I swing a SD2200d and I live about 35 miles south of GB . The ground around here is very mild . You can safely swing a Mono without any interference . I have the old green 18" but have never tried it . The 11" Mono seems to do the job . If you do come across a patch that seems to be paying off you might want to try the 18" and go back over it for more depth". Good luck .

I swing a SD2200d and I live about 35 miles south of GB . The ground around here is very mild . You can safely swing a Mono without any interference . I have the old green 18" but have never tried it . The 11" Mono seems to do the job . If you do come across a patch that seems to be paying off you might want to try the 18" and go back over it for more depth". Good luck .

Aloha Tom,

Mahalo for the advice. Will start off with the smaller mono and take your advice about going back with the bigger one. If you can make it out there on monday just look for the blue jeep wrangler with the black hardtop.

Aloha and be safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

Aloha guys,

What a day it turned out to be at Gold Basin. After arriving out there in overcast conditions with threatening clouds it cleared up for a couple of hours. Rick and I hunted for a couple of hours with no success and finally moved to an old location I hunted several years ago. We ran into someone visiting from out of state and BS'd for a short while. I put my 350mm coil on to try it out and within ten minutes and about 60 feet away from where I was parked I came across a brilliant 9.5 gram specimen. Man it sounded sweeeeeet with the new signal enhancer. So now that I know everything is working fine I will leave it alone and hunt a lot more in the future. I guess I am just meant to hunt with a large coil since all I use on my GMT is the Sierra Goldmax. Hey, whatever works is my new motto!

We finally had to haul cookies and just beat out a rain cloud in the nick of time. Hopefully next weekends weather is better for the outing.:thumbsupanim

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

post-1619-0-63900100-1299550050_thumb.jp

Hey Stan,

Great Going!! Beats walking away skunked, but as you know it's all in hunt and the view on nature out there anyway. Man be glad you didn't camp overnight, the winds came through pretty good towards evening; time to sleep in the truck for sure. Good Hunting!! Clifton

Aloha guys,

What a day it turned out to be at Gold Basin.

snip

Stan aka Ka'imi

Good deal Stan!!

Sure hope Rick finds something soon!

All I did was dig small itty bitty pieces of wire! Found one small iron tho. And I got to meet Larry Atkins, which was a real pleasure!

What is next Monday looking like for you and Rick?????? A class I was going to teach got moved to next month, so Wendy and I are thinking Gold Basin!!

Jim

Jim and All

The day turned out to be a great day for both Stan and I. Stan got to find out that his new unit would work, with get this no interference from the fly boys in the helicopters, I think he owes you one for that Jim!

For me the day started out beautifully when we hit our first spot looking to the north, I could see the black clouds over Lake Mead heading our way, you kind of forget what the smell of rain smells like out here in the great south-west, but coming from Fla. Its something I like to see, with all the memories of all the rain in Fla.

With the wind blowing like it was I could tell the rain was coming our way, as it was blowing out of the SW, but the sun was out where we were, and it was off to pound some ground. Our first stop didn't produce anything for either one of us, I never did get a hit on anything but hot rocks.

We headed back to the jeep , and when I got back Stan had change is coil, to check out his next bigger coil, when he bought the unit he got five coils with it, talk about being Mr. Lucky, what a deal!

The rain went to the east of us and was in back of King Tut, moving south the day was looking better!

We moved to a new spot and as I was stripping out of all the layers of jackets, we had on one of the guys that was camping out there came by to talk shop, about where to hunt for gold , him and his wife came down from Illinois for three months camping in their motor home, not a bad way to go!

After he left we started hunting, Stan got about twenty yards from the jeep and I saw him bend down and came up with one, when he called me over we were going to grid off the area, after the photos and the high fives, ten feet away my detector goes off and I look down and see a nice looking meteorite, to bad that I can't see, when I hit it with the cane, I got nothing, then it caught my good eye, that little bit of a shine. Now you all should now the rest of the story, a piece of lead, dang it, oh well you can't win them all.

We got about ½ of an hour more of hunting time in, after Stan found his, I told him that the black clouds to the west of us was coming our way, they took the half hour to reach us, and our day was over with, it was time to head back to Vegas.

Here is a warning for all you guys, the cops are out in force on Pierce Ferry Rd. so don't speed we saw them writing tickets coming and going.

Video to come if I can figure out how to edit it, and get it posted.

Jim I always have a great time every time I'm out in the desert, good company, and the sights and sounds of the open country, there is always something new to see if you open your eyes to the wonders around you! Then of course there is always looking forward to the next hunt, and what lays under that bush...!

Have a good ones guys see you out in the fields..!

Rick

Aloha Jim,

Next monday is looking pretty good for me so far. I will be in touch with Rick later during the week to see if he has any plans or not. We really need to get his *ss over a meteorite soon. I will be talking with someone from a well known university, ahem, who may be able to help with some coords. Us Hawaiians always stick together no matter were we live. Met her mom a couple of months ago while working a Hawaiian Airlines flight and found out she works in a geology department and is working on her masters. WOW, talk about timing. Hope things pan out!:inocent:

Will be in touch later this week to let you know about mondays hunt.

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hey I think you guys need to hook up with Uncle Marvin. :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

?

Hey Frank!! I'd drink to that!! Can you make it? May have a good turn out!!

Jim

Well guys to show you what it was like out there, with the wind and the rain holding off till our last moments, this is the first video I have done in a long time so It's not the best, that's for sure.....!

By the way the video will shut off then come back on.

And does anybody know of a better free video housting site?

Rick

thumbnail-409637-KBUdA.jpg Powered by VideoBam - Free Video Hosting

Looks like you guys had a good time even though the weather didn't co-operate. Congrats to Stan for his find. I'm hoping to make it down to Gold Basin on the weekend of the 18th. Hopefully everyone can make it.

I will be in gold basin o fri the 17th and have been there once before my ? Is how far south down the valley have gold basin's been found. I will also be hunting red dry lake

Aloha,

I would hesitate a guess that you might start at the Gold Basin Road and head all the way north to the Lake Mead Entrance. Look east to the hills and west to the hills. Everything in between looks good.:inocent: You will just have to get a new set of batteries and a good pair of hiking boots and spend some quality time out in the field communing with nature. Or you could do what i do: Park near a meteorite!:thumbsupanim Man was i lucky, again.:brows:

Frank, Uncle Marvin's cousin was sitting in my jeep and here is a pic of him with my first find using the SD2200.

Aloha,

Stan aka Ka'imi

post-1619-0-34793300-1299811201_thumb.jp

Aloha,

There were probably a couple found at the dry lake BUT those are far rare to find as you really need to hunt by sight only.

Frank, my version of Marvin is actually a bookmarker and that is why he is so flat. You need to see him to understand how he works. Can remember how I came to be his owner but I think my niece gave him to me a long time ago. I actually own a lucky frog that I will be using in my pics from today on.

Aloha and see you soon.

Stan aka Ka'imi