Nugget Shooter Forums

Snakes on the move

Went hunting for a few hours this morning.

For the first time this year noticed several snake tracks. So, it's that time.

Be safe out there!

Jim

OH GREAT!! Just the post I didn't want to see on this forum for at least a couple more weeks.mad0229[1].gif

I finally get my minelab sd2200 running and now I have to worry about snakes.:tisk-tisk: Oh well, snake gardz on for sure this weekend BUT NO headphones.

Hey Jim, I dont remember telling you this but I didn't have my glock on me for the first time in a loooooong time last weekend.:shrug: Not going to happen again.

Rick and I will be heading out to Gold Basin either saturday or sunday for another hunt in a diferent area this time. Hope to see you and wendy out there.

Remember to be safe out there too.

Aloha,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Aloha Frank,

Hey, they can strike the coil all they want, just dont come after me!:zapped: I dont care what people may say, i admit it "I dont like snakes".boorb It must just be the Hawaiian in me or whatever.

Aloha and dont worry I will be safe, so you guys do the same.

Aloha,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hi Stan,

Don't worry about the snakes. I've never seen more than 5 in a day at Franconia, and just like all the critters out there, they're just trying to make a living. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you. No harm, no foul. Scorpions are different. On many nights by the campfire, I've had the little buggers climp up my pant leg while sitting in my camp-chair, right next to the campfire, and make it as far as my hand or neck till I feel or see them and brush them off. Now THEY, are un-nerving!

Ben

Thanks for the heads down there Jim it looks like its time to strap on the 9mm again, I'm with Stan on the snakes.

I had a great time on the last hunt, it was great seeing Jim and Wendy and getting to met Hershey.

The guys out did me again but that is nothing unusual, next time I'm going to bring Superman along to see if he can out-do Uncle Marvin, with his X-ray eyes, I know that we will find the big one...!

Hey Terry,

In the mid eighties, I found a whole den full of rattlers at the Devils Nest mine up on the side of Rich Hill. I had to toss rocks for about ten minutes straight, til they all retreated into the adit or under boulders, so that I could swing my coil up there. We stopped detecting there back when gold hit it's record high of $800 an ounce, people started to file claims over legit claims, folks started shooting at detectorists, and a couple guys were killed. We started to carry our own "hardware" too, but not for the snakes. Nice Photos, those look to be a good sized pair that I would walk around. I hope with today's high gold price, it doesn't get crazy again at Rich Hill. Good hunting, be safe,

Ben

i hope i dont see those pair i havent got chapps yet, i wasnt prepaired for snakes yet. just wheb i was thinking of bringing tent/ oh well i guess thats that. i had rats or something trying to burrow their way into the tent one night and that finished me sleeping in the tent

i hope i dont see those pair i havent got chapps yet, i wasnt prepaired for snakes yet. just wheb i was thinking of bringing tent/ oh well i guess thats that. i had rats or something trying to burrow their way into the tent one night and that finished me sleeping in the tent

They look like they have no interestin you.... looks like mating ritual....

Hi Stan,

Don't worry about the snakes. I've never seen more than 5 in a day at Franconia, and just like all the critters out there, they're just trying to make a living. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you. No harm, no foul. Scorpions are different. On many nights by the campfire, I've had the little buggers climp up my pant leg while sitting in my camp-chair, right next to the campfire, and make it as far as my hand or neck till I feel or see them and brush them off. Now THEY, are un-nerving!

Ben

Hi Ben!

Brings back memories!! It's good to talk about these things and keep it fresh in the mind! I got nailed by a scorpion on my left side rib cage. It really did not hurt too much but it created a small white bump with a crater in the middle of it. It was a little guy about 1.5" in length. From the bumb, a red ring developed and spread in a very circular area around the bump..about 6 inches. Lasted for about 8 hours and then slowly went away. Never really hurt. Others were more freaked out than I was.

Then, about 10 years ago while restoring a '65 Plymouth Fury, I was under the car, which had been parked outside for years, pulling the driveshaft. I had noticed all kinds of webs under the car but did not see any spiders. While working I felt something on my lower back area. I reached around to scratch and felt something....and I freaked. I physically beat myself up getting out from under the car. Actually ripped skin off my body getting out of there. I squished the Black Widow on the way out but it bit me right at the top of the crack of my Arse!happy0193[1].gif I never felt the bite....just it crawling around.

Well, that one bothered me and we called the poison control center, etc. The pain, about 2 hours later felt like someone had stuck a needle in at that point where I was bit and pushed it into my hip bone and was moving the needle around. I suffered no other symptoms. On my own, I took 400mg of benadryl immediately and I am guessing that helped. It sure knocked me on my arse!

On a wildland fire in the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, my team was putting out a fire around a Palo Verde, I felt a fast poke on my left leg but just thought it was a tree limb poking me. This is at night and we were working with head lamps. About 15 minutes later, Robin Aspa walks up to me with a baby coiled burnt well done sidewinder. We had disturbed a small den in that bush.

I did not put two and two together until the next day at sunup. I could not walk on that leg and it felt like a major constant charlie horse. I dropped my drawers and noticed two black poke marks on my leg where I thought the tree got me. The next day I still could hardly walk or use the leg but it was better. I do not know if I was bit or not but if I was, I figure it was a dry bite.

I normally will not bother a snake in the wild unless I am trapped, in trouble and can not get away. I figure they were there first.

The only people I know ever bitten, pretty much earned it. Still, it's about 100,000 dollars for a typical hospital treatment. A vial of anti-venom was about $3,000 and it would not be uncommon to receive 10 of them after a bite! Helicopter ride is about 20,000 to 60,000 to get to a hospital that can deal with a bite. Better to be safe than sorry, that's for sure!

So I've had my run in's with critters....

Waiting for Wendy to get back and then it's off to go hunting!

Jim

Dang Jim, sounds like youve been through some bites alright.. Your fortunate to have made it through without any permanent damage.

Terry i remember when you originally made that post. What a sight to see!

I love rattlesnakes and all animals for that matter, but i am very cautious when it comes to the green mojaves.. they are a diff breed- Hemo/neurotoxin. its a deadly combo. Last week in gold basin i was extra cautious. Theyre thick out that way..looks like im gonna need to upgrade my 4500 to the external speaker, as id hate to bend down to dig and take a mojave bite that i couldnt hear, especially during spring when temps allow them to be mobile during the day. Id say less than 10% are out now but over the next month that should go to 80% plus ..they are gonna be out looking for that long awaited meal.

landon

Seems like the greem mojave, massasuga and rock rattlers all have a mean streak. All of them have a habit of being aggressive and coming toward you rather than moving away. And all are fairly small and easily unnoticed. Westerns, blacktails, timbers and easterns are all docile and tend to rattle a lot and not prone to strike.

Sidewinders poison generally isnt that bad. At least the ones we have here. And the prairie rattler is not bad either. Generally animals get better fast without any antiventin at all. We dont have mojaves here (thank GOD) but we do have rock rattlers and massasougas. Rare but deadly.

Hearing them wont do you any good. They dont always rattle. And then there are copperheads and moccasins that dont rattle at all in a lot of places. So the very best defense is a sharp eye and knowing your environment.

I am not sure why a fellow would try and shoot a rattler but I guess each to his own. A whack anywhere with a stick will kill one a lot safer and with less fanfare. Walking around him and leaving him alone is the absolute best way to handle a snake. Most bites are caused by people trying to kill one.

Dang Jim, sounds like youve been through some bites alright.. Your fortunate to have made it through without any permanent damage.

Terry i remember when you originally made that post. What a sight to see!

I love rattlesnakes and all animals for that matter, but i am very cautious when it comes to the green mojaves.. they are a diff breed- Hemo/neurotoxin. its a deadly combo. Last week in gold basin i was extra cautious. Theyre thick out that way..looks like im gonna need to upgrade my 4500 to the external speaker, as id hate to bend down to dig and take a mojave bite that i couldnt hear, especially during spring when temps allow them to be mobile during the day. Id say less than 10% are out now but over the next month that should go to 80% plus ..they are gonna be out looking for that long awaited meal.

landon

That's right Landon, it was April 1, 2010! Check these out, there is a series of six vids! - Terry

That's right Landon, it was April 1, 2010! Check these out, there is a series of six vids! - Terry

Terry,

That's awesome! Obviously it stopped the hunt for a bit!!

Here is a power point on AZ snakes if anyone is interested. Download may be a tad bit slow..

http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org/SnakePresentation.ppt

Jim

Terry,

That's awesome! Obviously it stopped the hunt for a bit!!

Here is a power point on AZ snakes if anyone is interested. Download may be a tad bit slow..

http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org/SnakePresentation.ppt

Jim

Jim that is a great presentation! 52-different snakes - Wow! Great post! :thumbsupanim Terry

All,

I am getting ready to buy two sets of snake chaps or snake gators. Has anyone ever used the chaps and if you have how hot did they get? And would you buy what you have now (chaps or gators) again?

Jim

Aloha Jim,

Got my snake gardz from Basspro about four years ago. When I noticed a small tear starting at the seems I went back and even without a receipt I was given a new pair, no qustions asked. Now that was customer service!:thumbsupanim

I never go without them, although the last time you saw me I didn't have them on because it was still colder than a witches ***.:tisk-tisk:

They are always in my equipment bag that gets loaded in my jeep first.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Jim,

I got our first pairs from a vendor at an annual GPAA Gold Show. We wore them out in about 3-4 years. I got our current ones at Bass Pro. They also have them at Cabelas. They do a good job of protecting your legs from cactus, thorns, and rock-scrapes, too. They are hot, but you get used to wearing them.

Ben

Hi Jim,

I got our first pairs from a vendor at an annual GPAA Gold Show. We wore them out in about 3-4 years. I got our current ones at Bass Pro. They also have them at Cabelas. They do a good job of protecting your legs from cactus, thorns, and rock-scrapes, too. They are hot, but you get used to wearing them.

Ben

Ben, Chaps or gators??

Jim

Aloha Jim,

If you go to the Basspro website and type in snake chaps as a keyword you will find several different types of chaps and gaiters available. Me, i bought the gaiters mostly for protection against the chollo cactus BUT if a snake ever decides to try for me :yikes: I know I will stand a chance to get away. Cheap at any price as far as I am concerned.

Aloha and watch your step this summer.

Stan aka Ka'imi

I agree Bob...just walk away from them...

There is a theory that rattlesnakes are evolving to NOT Rattle because the ones that rattle attract attention and get killed...

If they aren't seen no one bothers them...in my experience very few and maybe none of the rattlers I have been near rattled until I disturbed them...

Snake guards are fine if you remember they don't necessarily bite where the protection is...and nothing will protect your hands when reaching or digging under a bush..paying attention is the best defense.

fred