Nugget Shooter Forums

Lots of magnetite...

Probably a dumb question/idea.....but here goes.

My family owns farmland that is loaded with magnetite/hematite. I know, because I used to think that every piece was a meteorite.rolleyes.gif I can easily pick up 10-20 lbs of it in an afternoon...not to mention all the "black sand" if I drag my magnet on the ground.

It's basically all glacial gravel which came from....Canada?...or from the surrounding mountain ranges(I live in the center of Montana). I was wondering if it would be worth it to try and pan for gold. I got to thinking about it, because you all talk about 'hot rocks' and 'black sand'.

What do you think?

Probably a dumb question/idea.....but here goes.

My family owns farmland that is loaded with magnetite/hematite. I know, because I used to think that every piece was a meteorite.rolleyes.gif I can easily pick up 10-20 lbs of it in an afternoon...not to mention all the "black sand" if I drag my magnet on the ground.

It's basically all glacial gravel which came from....Canada?...or from the surrounding mountain ranges(I live in the center of Montana). I was wondering if it would be worth it to try and pan for gold. I got to thinking about it, because you all talk about 'hot rocks' and 'black sand'.

What do you think?

Be my guest and pan... Without panning you will not know.

Sometimes you find gold and no magnetite and sometimes you find magnetite and no gold.

But unless you try you will never know...

Be my guest and pan... Without panning you will not know.

Sometimes you find gold and no magnetite and sometimes you find magnetite and no gold.

But unless you try you will never know...

Dang sure never hurts to have a look, go for it....

Possibly your part of Montana was not within the boundary of the Continental Ice sheet.

However, the higher mountain ranges were locally glaciated. Glaciation in some of the

northern Cordillera destroyed any hard rock gold

concentrations to form localized "how did the placer get here" hit and miss placers.

Black (Magnetic) sand can follow any gold and

gold can follow black sand... so ya' never

know...

Central Montana?... Fergus, Cascade, the southern tip of Phillips counties are known

to carry some gold.

Thanks guys!

Once it warms up, I think I'll go to the gravel pit and try to find a 'hot' layer with my detector...then pan that. If nothing else, it will be good practice for panning in the mountains this summer.

jim straight user_popup.png

Posted Today, 07:03 PM

Possibly your part of Montana was not within the boundary of the Continental Ice sheet.

However, the higher mountain ranges were locally glaciated. Glaciation in some of the

northern Cordillera destroyed any hard rock gold

concentrations to form localized "how did the placer get here" hit and miss placers.

Black (Magnetic) sand can follow any gold and

gold can follow black sand... so ya' never

know...

Central Montana?... Fergus, Cascade, the southern tip of Phillips counties are known

to carry some gold.

Yep...Judith Basin County has gold too. It never had a major gold mine though. What Judith Basin DOES have...is Yogo Sapphires.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

:twocents: Well Cascade just to the west and Fergus to the east... :shrug:

how about polverising some of the magnecite maybe it haS FINE GOLD IN IT JUST CURIOUS AND GUESSING

I've cut and polished several pieces to compare to my meteorites. The only metal flecks in them are silver colored.

A lot of companies buy it, check the ICMJ wanted section, I know of a local buyer in Az If he agrees I,ll post his phone #.

Thanks! I'll look into that.

Last summer there was a guy selling magnetite specimens on eBay. I think he called it Tucson Mountain magnetite. Looked just like mine.