Nugget Shooter Forums

ware to go panning in northern california

chris925

For panning I recommend going to the north fork of the American river either at colfax or Weimar.Just travel like your going to reno uo interstate 80 and take one of these exits It is a good place to learn and mess around panning. You should get gold here. I am not saying they will be huge pieces but its there too. Sorry dont know the exact road but a google map of the area should point the way.

Jerry

I'll second what John says but add go above Edwards crossing also........ You should be able to pan out gold from just about any moss on the rocks close to the river! After the spring floods, I would also suggest the campground area on the Bear River out of Colfax.

thanks any tips i should know

I'll second what John says but add go above Edwards crossing also........ You should be able to pan out gold from just about any moss on the rocks close to the river! After the spring floods, I would also suggest the campground area on the Bear River out of Colfax.

• 4 weeks later...

Was up in Downieville a year ago. Panning and sluicing. Just a bit of luck. Every inch was claimed up. So you gotta find a club or a friendly owner.

I also metal detected with permission on an owner's claim.

Great fun there. Water is very cold.

Purdone crossing SF Yuba,92 or so,Ol' Reno Chip(RIP BUD) Feldler dredge and the righteous boulder packed river. Upriver a mile 1/2 we used a righteous Mitey-Lite winch and a Dahlke 6" and got pounds and pounds and pounds and life was good---John :hahaha:

post-23710-0-19857200-1301493617_thumb.j