Nugget Shooter Forums

Stupid Professor should have read the law he was accused of violating, picking up arrowheads is specifically exempted in the law:

Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979

Penalities

16 U.S.C. 470,

(d) Any person who knowingly violates, or counsels, pro-cures, solicits, or employs any other person to violate, any

prohibition contained in subsection (A), (B), or © of this

section shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than

$10,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both:

Provided, however, That if the commercial or archaeologi-

cal value of the archaeological resources involved and the

cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds

the sum of $500, such person shall be fined not more than

$20,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In

the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon con-

viction such person shall be fined not more than $100,000,

or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Effective date (e) The prohibitions contained in this section shall take effect on October 31, 1979 [the date of the enactment of this

Act].

Prospective application (f) Nothing in subsection (B)(1) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to any

archaeological resource which was in the lawful possession

of such person prior to October 31, 1979.

(g) Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed

applicable to any person with respect to the removal of

arrowheads located on the surface of the ground.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!

but in all seriousness...Now i understand the law is the law but really is the prof really the one being stupid here?

It wasn't some amateur treasure hunter, it was a professor.

Now what good are clovis points that are sitting in the dirt...or the ground just waiting to be stepped on and broken during someones festivities on the "state lands"?

At least they would be out of the dirt and in someones collection somewhere. Which to me is better for some reason than being in the ground...As long as your a not messing with a native american burial ground i believe it should be finders keepers. Borders and land ownership are man-made mumbo jumbo, the very native americans who made those points would scoff at the idea of "LAND OWNERSHIP"!

Now i am in no way advocating breaking the law. This is how it is and this is what needs to be followed. I just wish "the people" of this great country actually had their voices heard...

(g) Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed

applicable to any person with respect to the removal of

arrowheads located on the surface of the ground.

Here's the link to the whole act

http://www.nps.gov/history/local-law/FHPL_ArchRsrcsProt.pdf

Note in Section 3 about weapon projectiles. Kind of contradictory if you ask me. Maybe he was digging for them. But the Professor knew it was shady at the very least and collected them anyway. He got what he deserved. If anything, he should have applied for a permit just to be safe. I know the law might be silly but breaking it doesn't do any good either,esp for someone in his position.

Steve

I think the sticker here is "culturally significant site". Folsom and Clovis points are NOT indian artifacts and there are three sites that I know of that have them and are posted as "culturally significant sites".

Since the Clovis and Folsom points are very valuable and come from prehistoric man and not the 'indian" tribes I suppose they might be special.

I figure he was bumping a site that he learned about in his studies, which was probably one of these Colvis/Folsom man sites behind the Sandia Mts.

I have been told by several artifact hunters that these artifacts will get you in hot water. I dont see where the law says anything specific about Clovis/Folsom or any other primitive man artifacts but I know these points are closely guarded and very few people will admit to finding one.

I certainly wont.

The origin of clovis and folsom points is a theory. The truth is I found a clovis point on my grandfathers farm in wisconsin. It didnt stand out any different then the countless other large arrowheads/spear points and tomahawk/full grooved axes. it was actually all in the same vicinity. So even tho clovis are credited as being the first "man" there is truely no way to prove if those points were made 12,000 years ago or 2,000.

this article should be revered as "what not to do"!

• 3 months later...

Actually, proving the age of a projectile point is standard practice and quit easy-its all about finding them buried incontext with oth points and datable objects-called seriation. If you can couple seriation with hearths in the same levels-presto you can date how old that pintstyle is and this has been done for the vast majority of types out there. So we know Clovis points range from about 10500 to 12000 years ago. There are other methods as well, but they are more complex and this is foolproof.

Actually, proving the age of a projectile point is standard practice and quit easy-its all about finding them buried incontext with oth points and datable objects-called seriation. If you can couple seriation with hearths in the same levels-presto you can date how old that pintstyle is and this has been done for the vast majority of types out there. So we know Clovis points range from about 10500 to 12000 years ago. There are other methods as well, but they are more complex and this is foolproof.