Nugget Shooter Forums

What's next?

Trying to figure out what this rock could be? Images/text attached.

Was hoping you fine folks could give me another test to perform?

post-25108-0-25148800-1299019243_thumb.jpost-25108-0-18916200-1299019249_thumb.j

~Karaleigh

Was it found in a known strewn field? I suppose the next step is to

decide what you want to do with it. It's hard to get anything classified

from a fall that has already been classified. There are a few labs you can send

a sample to.

Jim

Was it found in a known strewn field? I suppose the next step is to

decide what you want to do with it. It's hard to get anything classified

from a fall that has already been classified. There are a few labs you can send

a sample to.

Jim

I haven't found any known strewn fields in the area. There have been 2 individual meteorites located both southwest and northeast of here (15 miles in either direction- Neenach and Littlerock,CA)

What lab would you recommend? I just need a basic chemical make-up.

Hi Karaleigh,

Could you please show us some close-up photos of the outside of the stone? It resembles a metallic ore from a distance, but a closer look will help to tell.

Thanks, Ben

Ben,

Thank you for your input :) here are a couple of larger images of the exterior. There are a few scratch marks where my rolling it around has worn down the outer coating.post-25108-0-56489600-1299049583_thumb.jpost-25108-0-77862600-1299049702_thumb.j

Most of the rock was submerged in the ground, this area of the rock appears to have deeper concave(?) areas, but they are filled with caliche. post-25108-0-11918900-1299050197_thumb.jIs there a way to remove this without chemicals? I'm curious to see the structure.Some of what I chipped off, took the black off as well.

Have you done a streak test on it? This should be one of the first steps taken when testing for meteorites. A lot of minerals will leave different colored streaks on a piece of white unglazed porcelain. Some iron minerals are often mistaken for meteorites. A meteorite will not streak and although just because your rock may not streak, it doesn't mean it's a meteorite.

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/property/streak.htm

Steve

Have you done a streak test on it? This should be one of the first steps taken when testing for meteorites. A lot of minerals will leave different colored streaks on a piece of white unglazed porcelain. Some iron minerals are often mistaken for meteorites. A meteorite will not streak and although just because your rock may not streak, it doesn't mean it's a meteorite.

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/property/streak.htm

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply ;)

Sorry, I should have put it in the text of my first post rather then on the image.

This is what I have so far ...

This rock is:

Ferrous

No streak - leaves a scratch in the porcelain

No vesicles

Metal flecks - good view in the close up (first post)

nickel positive (Dmg test)

and fairly heavy for it's size - approx. 150 lbs

What was exposed above ground seems to have a coating of desert varnish.

The buried part of the rock is covered with caliche.

It was not found in a strewn field (that I know of) and was unique to it's suroundings.

I think it is iron. The second photo shows a grain (foliation) and the exterior surface is not right. I am going to bet it is hematite or magnetite. If you grind a window I bet the filings will be deep red ochre.

Bob,

I was thinking the same thing, but the more I read the less I knew! I was thinking magnetite because it is so strongly attracted to a magnet and I've read that hematite is weakly ferrous. When the lack of a streak gave me nothing to go on I got out the DMG and got a nickel reaction. I understand that this test doesn't give me a quantity and doesn't indicate what the stone is. It was the only other thing I could think to do. The filings are a very fine dust, light tan? in color with some metal and attracted to a magnet.post-25108-0-82804300-1299093101_thumb.j (makes for easy cleanup!)

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply ;)

Sorry, I should have put it in the text of my first post rather then on the image.

This is what I have so far ...

This rock is:

Ferrous

No streak - leaves a scratch in the porcelain

No vesicles

Metal flecks - good view in the close up (first post)

nickel positive (Dmg test)

and fairly heavy for it's size - approx. 150 lbs

What was exposed above ground seems to have a coating of desert varnish.

The buried part of the rock is covered with caliche.

It was not found in a strewn field (that I know of) and was unique to it's surroundings.

Bob,

I was thinking the same thing, but the more I read the less I knew! I was thinking magnetite because it is so strongly attracted to a magnet and I've read that hematite is weakly ferrous. When the lack of a streak gave me nothing to go on I got out the DMG and got a nickel reaction. I understand that this test doesn't give me a quantity and doesn't indicate what the stone is. It was the only other thing I could think to do. The filings are a very fine dust, light tan? in color with some metal and attracted to a magnet.post-25108-0-82804300-1299093101_thumb.j (makes for easy cleanup!)

There are some mixture of rock associated with Hematite that is actually very much more magnetic that a typical H5 Chondrite. However, they ALL scratch.

The images of the metal flakes are interesting along with the positive nickel test. However, the images are blurry at that point and I do not see chonrules within the picture. I have an L5-5 stone here and I can still see chondules. Where you made the window try sanding that to about 400 or 600 grit (wet/dry sand paper and then take another picture and post it. This will really help bring the background out. BTW, I think you have done all the right things so far in your tests. If you are in SoCal and willing to travel, there are probably a few people that could take a look at it and give you an experienced opinion in that area.

Jim

There are some mixture of rock associated with Hematite that is actually very much more magnetic that a typical H5 Chondrite. However, they ALL scratch.

The images of the metal flakes are interesting along with the positive nickel test. However, the images are blurry at that point and I do not see chonrules within the picture. I have an L5-5 stone here and I can still see chondules. Where you made the window try sanding that to about 400 or 600 grit (wet/dry sand paper and then take another picture and post it. This will really help bring the background out. BTW, I think you have done all the right things so far in your tests. If you are in SoCal and willing to travel, there are probably a few people that could take a look at it and give you an experienced opinion in that area.

Jim

Hi Jim!

I have learned that I am not good at sanding!(used a bench grinder) I think I messed up the rock. Flash reflects so much off the surface that I found it hard to get a good shot. I tried though ;) I've attached my attempt ....post-25108-0-58273900-1299105224_thumb.j

Hi Jim!

I have learned that I am not good at sanding!(used a bench grinder) I think I messed up the rock. Flash reflects so much off the surface that I found it hard to get a good shot. I tried though ;) I've attached my attempt ....post-25108-0-58273900-1299105224_thumb.j

I am that last guy to tell someone how to take a picture, but take the sample outside in the natural light is best, I think.

If you are near a town, do they have a rock shop? Many will cut and polish a small rock window while you wait.

I have real reservations about calling this a meteorite based on the pictures. The free metal, IMHO, is too minimal for anything I've seen found around here. And, some of the outer shell just does not look right. No steak is not conclusive. I do not, however, want to discourage you in anyway during the process you are going though because it is a great learning experience. You've done all the tests anyone asks and you are stating they are all positives. If I was in this situation I'd make a serious effort at a good clean window and I'd show someone with a lot of experience the rock in person. What part of country do you live? There may be someone close by you could show.

Jim

Hi Jim!

This might give you an idea on the window...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-XJPFTbcY

jim

This might give you an idea on the window...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-XJPFTbcY

jim

Fantastic! Thank you Jim for such a great tutorial! I'll pick up some sandpaper tomorrow and do it that way. When I used the bench grinder I used the flat part of the wheel, noticed you used the corner area .... is this a better way? I'm in the Antelope Valley (North LA county, Mojave Desert area) I'll also look around here for someone who could help me cut off a decent size piece of this thing. When I finally find out what it's made out of, I feel that the void left behind will urge me to pursue another unknown!

I have had quite the learning experience the past couple of weeks. What a wonderful forum you have here, kudos to the creator and the great people it attracts :)

If you live in Antelope Valley there's a rock club out there that should be able to help you. Hopefully you can find someone to cut into it so you can see what you have. I'm kind of intrigued myself.

LANCASTER

Antelope Valley Gem & Mineral Club

www.geocities.com/av_gem

P.O. Box 69

Lancaster , California 93536

Meeting Place: Our Shepard Church 20th St West and Avenue L.

Meeting Time: Fourth Tuesday of each month 7:30 pm

Primary Contact: David Ficke E-Mail: av_gem[at]yahoo.com Phone: [661] 943-5157

Secondary Contact: Jules Ficke Phone: [661] 943-5157

Federation (Regional) Affiliation: California Federation of Mineralogical Societies

Good luck

Steve

Fantastic! Thank you Jim for such a great tutorial! I'll pick up some sandpaper tomorrow and do it that way. When I used the bench grinder I used the flat part of the wheel, noticed you used the corner area .... is this a better way? I'm in the Antelope Valley (North LA county, Mojave Desert area) I'll also look around here for someone who could help me cut off a decent size piece of this thing. When I finally find out what it's made out of, I feel that the void left behind will urge me to pursue another unknown!

I have had quite the learning experience the past couple of weeks. What a wonderful forum you have here, kudos to the creator and the great people it attracts :)

My thing about cutting rock is to not ruin the beauty of the rock in doing do. So my suggestion is to pick a spot you will not miss if you are to show or display the specimen. The sample required from a lab is not big at all. I recently went through this process and I sent in a piece no bigger than my pinky finger to the first joint. It was plenty big enough for the lab to test with.

Keep in mind that EVERYONE has found hot rocks before and thought they were meteorites. I recently watched an "expert" buy a rock taking a chance that it might be a rare meteorite. Who knows!! It's all about learning, having fun and adventure. Think about it....you probably had a really good day getting that monster rock home!! So, continue the process and keep us posted.

Jim

post-25108-0-32285800-1299223567_thumb.j

AV GEM website has moved. I'll look into finding them. At this point I think I've done all I personally can? I'm going to ship it off to a lab and hopefully get a definitive answer on the makeup of this rock. It's a fascinating piece. The sanding was what really brought it out! (thanks Jim!)In the scope I've seen orange, blue, gold, beautiful firey reflection of color.

I'm attaching the last couple of shots I have taken - The stone travels tomorrow. I'll let you know what I get back from the lab ;)

post-25108-0-64827500-1299223585_thumb.j

~Karaleigh

post-25108-0-32285800-1299223567_thumb.j

AV GEM website has moved. I'll look into finding them. At this point I think I've done all I personally can? I'm going to ship it off to a lab and hopefully get a definitive answer on the makeup of this rock. It's a fascinating piece. The sanding was what really brought it out! (thanks Jim!)In the scope I've seen orange, blue, gold, beautiful firey reflection of color.

I'm attaching the last couple of shots I have taken - The stone travels tomorrow. I'll let you know what I get back from the lab ;)

post-25108-0-64827500-1299223585_thumb.j

~Karaleigh

Good luck. :thumbsupanim

Steve