Nugget Shooter Forums

Claims & Blowers

GoldIgger

Looks like the geo communicator program through the BLM website will no longer show active mining claims due to complaints about inaccurate information. Does anybody know of another free online program or website that offers this service. I also just bought a Keene 140 dry washer :thumbsupanim !!! I plan to buy a leaf blower for it. Any recommendations on a blower that doesn't cost a fortune but can handle desert use and running for long periods of time?

Thanks Garrett

Looks like the geo communicator program through the BLM website will no longer show active mining claims due to complaints about inaccurate information. Does anybody know of another free online program or website that offers this service. I also just bought a Keene 140 dry washer :thumbsupanim !!! I plan to buy a leaf blower for it. Any recommendations on a blower that doesn't cost a fortune but can handle desert use and running for long periods of time?

Thanks Garrett

I have heard from many experienced prospectors that the Echo PB 251 is the best blower on the market. I believe it comes with a 5 year warranty as well.

I have heard from many experienced prospectors that the Echo PB 251 is the best blower on the market. I believe it comes with a 5 year warranty as well.

Ding-Ding-Ding! We have a winner! Little Echo's can't be beat in the AZ sun and dust! :thumbsupanim - Terry

Ding-Ding-Ding! We have a winner! Little Echo's can't be beat in the AZ sun and dust! :thumbsupanim - Terry

That's perfect guys thanks! Just looked up my local home depot and they have em in stock. I will pick one up tomorrow morning. Thanks again!

As far as a two stroke is concerned the Echo cant be beat. But remember that no one blows weeds for 8 hours straight. The duty rating on all leaf blowers are not designed for this kind of work. So they wont last very long.

A 4 stroke engine that has a 100% duty cycle rating will be much better as far as life is concerned. One with a pressurized oiling system is best. The blower fan needs to be larger than a leaf blower for most machines. The little blowers must be run at max RPM to lift the gravel properly in a large machine. A larger blower can develop a lot more static pressure at a lower RPM and your engine will last even longer.

So if you need portability a leaf blower on a small unit is great. If you want it to last and last a 4 stroke, 5 hp engine on an industrial high static blower is the way to go.

Here is how I mount mine, I have two a Ryobi and a ECHO PB-251, the small bucket with 3- 3" holes keeps it off the ground when running the drywasher, then you just set it over on the vac bucket to vacum, i see people worrying about screw seals and gaskets, all that is unnecessary, the vac will hold it self down to the bucket, running them wide open is also unnecessary and following the maintenance is critical especialy cleaning the carbon from the exhaust port , use an "Orange Stick" from your wife's finger nail stuff, it wont scratch the piston.

I have saw people burn up new ones in 30 minutes with sloppy oil mixing and running wide open with no break in time, the ECHO PB-1000 was the best but the PB-251 has replaced it, I just take the screen off the bottom, cut a hole in a lid, put the screen back on the bottom of the lid, forget about screw buckets and gaskets, crank her up and go!

Too much oil is as bad as not enough!!

Max

If treated nice they'll last for years. Elevate off the ground,keep up wind and clean after every use :twocents: John

post-7251-0-59015000-1299161288_thumb.jp

post-7251-0-85930900-1299161325_thumb.jp

For me, the 2-cycle gas powered blowers are too noisy, they stink and are not designed for lengthy run times in hot, dusty conditions. I prefer a puffer, but when i use a blower it is an electric model Toro leaf blower that I power with my four cycle Honda 2000i generator -- nice and quiet, no fumes, has different speeds and can be run all day long. The electric leaf blowers also are cheap when purchased at a garage sale -- the older models having round, cylindrical nozzles that are easy to connect to the drywasher's plastic hose. The generator, of course, also is handy to have around for many other applications or emergencies. Whenever using a blower-type drywasher it is helpful to bring along a rubber mat or rug remnant for placement beneath the blower mechanism, thus helping to keep dust and desert grit from being ingested through the blower's intake.

Wow lots of good info here guys thanks for all the replies. I went ahead with the purchase of an Echo blower as suggested. It had great reviews and a good price. I'm very excited with my new setup. Now counting down the minutes until Monday arrives. It will be my first time running a dry washer

as long as the weather holds. I will be sure to post pics of any success I might have.

Golddigger, As I said before be careful about the oil mix, too much causes smoke and carbon builtup which can turn white hot and burn a piston in a brand new engine. To little will also score the piston. Give it the break in as recommended in the manual, I try to vacum with the unit down hill and shake the hose using the hand throttle so I do not have to run wide open. I have 2 buckets set up with vac attachements so I don't have to shut down as often to dump, I have run a variety of dry washers with both my blowers, the Ryobi is about 4 years old and runs strong, it is almost a twin of the Echo , both are very simply mounted on a plain top bucket.

The Echo I cut off the leaf blower tube to make an attachement to my 4" blower tube, it can then use the factory twist lock to hold the blower hose in and a R/V sewer hose bayonet fitting on the dry washer end. The air filters are tiny, be religious about cleaning them, if you can afford Bedrock Bobs generator and electric rig or a four stroke motor go for it, they are superior, but I am not putting my Honda out in the dust of dry washing, I can buy a bunch of PB-251s for the costs of a new Honda 2000.

Good luck with it.

Max

Maxs' info golden and keep upwind always as that oil burner will contaminate your box pretty quick like and plug up them tiny air filters quickly also :wubu: John