Nugget Shooter Forums

I was told this was meteorite...what do you think?

I stumbled upon this magnetic rock and I performed all the online tests. It passed all of them. The rocks of course are dirty and covered with Georgia red clay...or rust? I am not sure.Can anyone tell me more from the pictures. Or tell me where to take it even? This piece weighs approx 14 ounces.

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Im no expert but I do remember reading about other Georgia finds that are very similar looking...

If it passed the test, hey, it passed the TEST! If thats not good enough for you try contacting your local university for further identification.

I stumbled upon this magnetic rock and I performed all the online tests. It passed all of them. The rocks of course are dirty and covered with Georgia red clay...or rust? I am not sure.Can anyone tell me more from the pictures. Or tell me where to take it even? This piece weighs approx 14 ounces.

Where is the Window? I do not see a window in the pictures?

Jim

Where is the Window? I do not see a window in the pictures?

Jim

Now I am not an expert but window is where I file the corner to expode the shiny metalic substance right? It is on another piece I will ad that pic. I am taking more pics of them now, Thanks

This is a pic of the rust spots. The following pics are after I filed away the rust spots. Exposing iron pieces.

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Can you imagine how hot this had to of gotten for this to flow out of the rock like that?

IMG_0495.jpg

Now I am not an expert but window is where I file the corner to expode the shiny metalic substance right? It is on another piece I will ad that pic. I am taking more pics of them now, Thanks

Check out http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org and read the document about if you think you found a meteorite. That will help.

Yes, the window is a way to look at the insides of the stone. You file, grind, cut or whatever to see the insides. I find a grinder works best for me and then I wet sand to 600 grit. Gives me are good view. The window does a couple of things for you. A. It gives you a place to see if there is any free metal. In an OC (Ordinary Chondrite) You would see some metal flakes, normally no bigger that 1mm. You may see many or very few. You should also see Chrondrules....litte round spheres that you sand or cut. You may see many or very few, it just depends. B. It gives you a good clean place to do the strike test for mineral identification. Anyways, read that doc, do the tests look at it with at least a x10 loupe or glass and then let us know what you find.

Most of the time, these stones are not meteorites, but it's fun and exciting to find out...one way or the other!

Cheers!

Jim

Nice rock kali,

Unfortunately, it is NOT a meteorite. The rock is certainly a terrestrial sedimentary stone with no real visual meteoretic characteristics. If you were to drop a very strong magnet into Georgian sand or powdered dirt it would be covered with iron filings anywhere in the state. That is because magnetic iron is fairly common in a certain percentage of rocks in every state. There are billions of rocks in Georgia with which a magnet will stick ,maybe 2-5%, none of which are meteorites. The gas air pockets an sedimentary structure give it zero chance of it being a meteorite.

Sorry for the bad news,

billpeters

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg