Nugget Shooter Forums

Wisconsin meteorite? [Question]

Found this in a field while looking for moralls in southern wisconsin. I initially thought it was obsidian perhaps that the native americans brought there (as it is NOT native to Wisconsin)

Fortunately i live in Arizona right now so i am in contact with an expert trying to get it ID'd. I'm waiting for him to verify but from everything i've heard/read i am 99.9% it is a meteorite. you guys are probably more familiar.

I just want your two cents.

post-25103-0-25540300-1298919962_thumb.j

post-25103-0-78988300-1298919971_thumb.j

post-25103-0-18906100-1298919979_thumb.j

post-25103-0-50032300-1298919986_thumb.j

post-25103-0-98418600-1298920023_thumb.j

I dont have two cents worth, but it certainly LOOKS interesting. Magnetic? Heavy? What does the interior matrix look like?

Those tests are about the only way to ID a meteorite. I found one that looked just like what you have several years ago. I broke it into a thousand pieces trying to knock a chip off the corner. It was filled with olivine and metal flecks. I have no doubt that it was a meteorite but I sure screwed it up trying to see the inside. It crumbled like a saltine cracker under that glassy finish.

So there t is. You just cant tell from a photo at all. If I had to say yes or no based only on the photo it would be no. But if you said it was heavy, magnetic, and had metal flakes when you ground a small window then the answer would be yes. And then you would STILL have to go ask an expert to get a real answer!

Hello c0ngd0n:

It is very unlikely a meteorite. It is far too shiny and displays what looks like crystals, both of which bode bad for it being a real meteorite. It is good that you are having it tested by a professional, though. The correct name for meteorite hopefuls is: meteor-wrongs.

Keep looking down,

billpeters

Found this in a field while looking for moralls in southern wisconsin. I initially thought it was obsidian perhaps that the native americans brought there (as it is NOT native to Wisconsin)

Fortunately i live in Arizona right now so i am in contact with an expert trying to get it ID'd. I'm waiting for him to verify but from everything i've heard/read i am 99.9% it is a meteorite. you guys are probably more familiar.

I just want your two cents.

Hi C0ngd0n,

With only the photos to go by................

It is too glassy, like silica, and shows tiny vesicles, so it's not likely to be a meteorite. Does it leave a streak when scraped across un-glazed porcelain? Does it pull to a magnet? You can make a window into the stone with a blade-sharpening stone, or a diamond file, or a grinding wheel, or sandpaper. That will give us and you alot more info to go by.

Best of luck, Ben

Sorry, i didnt go into more detail! I was in a bit of a hurry when i posted this!

As I said when i first found it i thought it was obsidian/Glass or even COAL. That hypothesis was quickly put to rest when I picked it up and felt its weight. For looking like glass this rock sure is heavy? The magnet test is a two edged sword with this. A regular refridgerator magnet doesnt seem to stick. on the other hand, the weight and the obvious "thumb prints" makes me think it could be. Another thing of interest is the location of where i found it.

The field is on a natural lake, but the field itself is up some pretty dramatic hill or drop off from the lake. Sorry if that is confusing but I dont know how to explain it except that it looks like a crater surrounding the lake? I think thats what im getting at...

As for the morrals! I found more morrals next to this rock then i have ever found in all my years of looking PUT TOGETHER! There were literally hundreds of morrals surrounding it.

I'm only 21 years old now and this was found about 10 years ago. What stands out to me is that the area of the morrals/rock was obviously a "dump spot" for rocks of the farmers field. There was a huge pile of stones/rocks most liekly from clearing out the field for all those years but being a young boy and exploring this area i probably seen thousands of "neat" rocks. For whatever reason, this rock stood out to me and i have never seen one like it in wisconsin or out. Luckily for me, in 2005 my family moved to Mesa, AZ so I am in contact with an expert at ASU. I figure i couldnt be in a better area when it comes to meteorites!

All in all, I am content either way. I am not so much in it for gain but more because this is such a rarity in wisconsin! If and I mean IF it is, it would be only the 14th one ever recovered there.

thanks everyone !

There is something that I hope one of you can help me with.

On one side of the "crust" (for lack of a better term) there is orange spots embedded into the rock. I dont want to break this baby open until i am directed to but based on what the outside appearence looks like i believe it would look very much like this on the inside...

post-25103-0-08405300-1298993622_thumb.j

Hello c0ngd0n,

This photo confirms it CANNOT be a meteorite. The glass ends, the striations, the outer surface structure, the lack of any real meteoretic crust, and even the orange spots, make it 100% certain it is terrestrial.

Check on line for good photos and analysis of actual meteorites for better identification info. I find 100s of glass-like rocks in my searching. I ignore them as none are meteorites.

A successful hunter,

billpeters

On one side of the "crust" (for lack of a better term) there is orange spots embedded into the rock. I dont want to break this baby open until i am directed to but based on what the outside appearence looks like i believe it would look very much like this on the inside...

But Bill, the above picture is a confirmed Asian Meteorite...

And again, it is not mine. it was just a picture i found of a confirmed tekite that had a striking resembelence to my own. The only pictures of my rock are in the original post (compare the above picture of the broken asian tekite with my 2nd picture in the original post)! Whether mine is authentic or not is either way fine, im awaiting the test results to know forsure. I really do appreciate all your kind folks dropping by and giving your two cents tho!

by the way in that 2nd photo in the original post, that part that looks like "crystals" is actually oxidization.

Steve is correct, a tektite is not a meteorite.

"A tektite is not a meteorite. And that last photo doesn't resemble any tektite I have ever seen."

Steve

That photo is both not a meteorite and unlikely a tektite. It looks like common layered volcanic glass. Tektites are not found in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, your stone is neither a tektite nor a meteorite.

Sorry for the disappointment. Please don't take my word for it. The best thing to do is to get it tested to satisfy your doubts.

billpeters

just shows how much i know. Haha thanks guys.