Nugget Shooter Forums
wjbell

Frankenstein wireless headphones

I was looking for a way to go wireless on my GMT. I've been using cheaper headphones with just enough cord and I'm always pulling them off my head cause I forget and stand up, or I can't set the detector down too far from me, cord gets wrapped around something, etc. I went online and found a FM transmitter/receiver for a wireless mic and figured I could modify it to work with the detector. The only thing I had to do was open up the receiver and desolder the 1/4 male jack and solder wires running to a 1/8 female jack that the headphones would plug into. I tested it out before the mods and it's got good range. I was 10 feet away from it with a wall blocking me and it still picked up good. Seems like it's going to work. The only issues are battery life and volume. When I get my detector back I'll test it out and post the results if anyone's interested. I'm also going to clean up the headphone install and make it more permanent if it works good.

post-22504-0-37433200-1298770051_thumb.j

Frakenstein is an understatement. Looks like a science experiment gone wrong or right not sure :hmmmmm:

Probably right, I guess I'll have to see...

You never know

What, are you bustin my balls here?

Thanks for trying a wireless getup. Let us know how it works out. I been looking for one that really works.

I look forward to the day that I strap on a wireless headset and stomp the crap out of that cursed, wretched, atrocity of the wired headslut.

Hope it works!

Bill C

:thumbsupanim Necessity is the mother of invention and Frank phones sounds like a idea but have tried a couple in the past and interfered with vlf detectors BUT keep us posted please as ya never know what righteous idea will produce-thanx much-John :whoope:

Hope it works for you and I have rigged up a couple over the years, but always end up wired again.

Issues I experienced were,

Delayed signal response that drove me batty

Static....

Hope you have better luck.

Yeah, I was worried about a delay too. Testing with the voice there doesn't seem to be a delay at all, but with the detector could be a different story. I'll give them a good test run and see how it goes.

Let us know and as technology advances we just may come up with one that works well. I haven't tried any of them in a couple years now so who knows...

Well, the wireless headphones were a flop. Way too quiet and there was distortion when you turned it up. Also the wireless signal interfered with the detector. Oh well, back to the drawing board..

Auvio wireless earbuds from radio shack work great. 100.00. I have them and can use on all my detectors with 30 sec to change over from machine to machine. BTW my sd2200v2's name is Frankenstein:)

:thumbsupanim GREAT TRY-excellent info as yout test was a 100% success- now you have another don't work on your list and closer to finding one that works-thanx for trying :whoope: John