Nugget Shooter Forums

Fisher Gold Bug 2

The other day I noticed hearing something rattling around inside the control box of my Gold Bug 2.

So, this morning, I decided to take the control box apart and see what it was. To take these apart, all you have to do is remove the nut and washer on the coil cable connector and the pile of electronics comes out the front.

Well, as I was sliding it apart a small screw fell out of it. I learned that two screws hold the main PC board to the front panel. One of the screws had worked it's way completely off and the other was very loose. I swing so fast it must have just twisted those screws right out ( see, I do have a screw loose!!happy0193[1].gif)! Normally, in manufacturing procedures, if a component has a chance of doing this some preventive measure corrects for it by using a lock washer or a thread locking goo or a slight amount of removable plastic glue or rubber

I ended up using a small dab of fingernail polish on each screw after tightening them both down. Better than new! Cool!:thumbsupanim

Anyways, while I was in there I looked around a little. It's well put together for the most part. These things can be abused and just keep working. A very good detector....and Made in America!!!

So, if you hear something rattling around, you need to take care of it. Had that screw landed in the wrong spot, it could have ruined the detector. And, anyone could take this apart. Was very easy.

Jim

The other day I noticed hearing something rattling around inside the control box of my Gold Bug 2.

So, this morning, I decided to take the control box apart and see what it was. To take these apart, all you have to do is remove the nut and washer on the coil cable connector and the pile of electronics comes out the front.

Well, as I was sliding it apart a small screw fell out of it. I learned that two screws hold the main PC board to the front panel. One of the screws had worked it's way completely off and the other was very loose. I swing so fast it must have just twisted those screws right out ( see, I do have a screw loose!!happy0193[1].gif)! Normally, in manufacturing procedures, if a component has a chance of doing this some preventive measure corrects for it by using a lock washer or a thread locking goo or a slight amount of removable plastic glue or rubber

I ended up using a small dab of fingernail polish on each screw after tightening them both down. Better than new! Cool!:thumbsupanim

Anyways, while I was in there I looked around a little. It's well put together for the most part. These things can be abused and just keep working. A very good detector....and Made in America!!!

So, if you hear something rattling around, you need to take care of it. Had that screw landed in the wrong spot, it could have ruined the detector. And, anyone could take this apart. Was very easy.

Jim

Great post Jim! :thumbsupanim Terry

Seems like many of the newer GBII's have problems with things coming loose. Where was yours made? My brand new one (last summer) had both of the toggle switches come loose.... a tiny bit of blue Locktite did the trick.

Mine is an older one. The way I beat the thing around it's a wonder it works at all! Not sure if it was built in SoCal or Tx. Is there a way to tell???

Jim