Nugget Shooter Forums

Procedure for sluicing - Help Please

California

I Purchased this sluice and a 1/8" classifier. This weekend Im going out to a local stream. Is this the proper procedure:

1.Install Sluice in stream at a 1" per 1' downward slope with the river running into it.

2. Shovel and classify material down to the 1/8" in a 5 gallon bucket.

3. With a small yard hand scooper, deposit the material onto the top flat chamber.

4. Add more material as it dissapates down the channels and thus exposes the black plastic floor at the top.

Thank You

Econo G sluice 003.jpg

That's the basics and it will get you started. Since every stream's flow is different and so is the material you'll be feeding into it, don't be afraid to change things to suit. A slow-flowing stream with larger gravels may need a greater slope or slower feed, while rapidly flowing water and fine gravels might require you to raise the sluice up out of the streamflow a little and level it out more in order to keep things from washing on through.

In general, you'll want to see some heavy material gather behind the riffles, but the riffles should never be allowed to clog up or become completely covered. Slow down the rate you feed the screened material in or slighlty increase the slope so that you see a constant gentle removal of the waste.

While you're learning, it might be wise to clean up more often and check your progress.

Just as a check, you can put a couple BBs or small bits of lead from fishing sinkers to observe how a heavier metal moves through your sluice. Hopefully, it won't move much at all, while the surrounding dirt and gravels progress on through.

If your heavy test objects travel on down the sluice, or on the other hand, nothing moves and it clogs up, that's your clue to alter things.

Catch the tailings in a weighted-down tub or gold pan. Pan them out to see if anything is escaping the sluice.

-Ed

You can always tell when you have a sluice setup correctly with the proper flow by looking at the water in the sluice, if you see a V/X pattern on the surface of the water in the sluice you have it setup correctly with the proper flow.

Here is a video that shows the V/X pattern in a sluice and you can find other videos that will show this as well if the sluice is setup right.

Skip

Good one Skip! :wubu:

Ya gotta kinda balance water depth, rate of flow, and the makeup of the material

you're running. :)

There is an art to it and everybody developes their own style, ya might say.

It's what gets the best results at the time. I don't think I ever set my sluice up the same. If I move to a new spot, I need to re-evaluate the situation and adapt as best I can. 1" to 1' is a great place to start, but ya gotta adjust for specific conditions. ;)

Hey California... all very good advice.... You also may have to put a nice large rock on top going from side rail to side rail if the water has any speed. That will help hold it in position. Good luck and show pics. Where in CA are you?

Hey California... all very good advice.... You also may have to put a nice large rock on top going from side rail to side rail if the water has any speed. That will help hold it in position. Good luck and show pics. Where in CA are you?

Im in Fresno and am going to go out to Friant to practice technique tommorow. Thank you all for the advice, X/V it is.

I bought some threaded rods and clamps to secure the sluice in place and adjust pitch.

Im in Fresno and am going to go out to Friant to practice technique tommorow. Thank you all for the advice, X/V it is.

I bought some threaded rods and clamps to secure the sluice in place and adjust pitch.

Pitch is easily adjusted with rocks from under the sluice....... That is the way most everyone does it....... KISS!

Not to sound negative but if you really want to find gold get a real sluice its money well spent if you think your going to start a new hobby. they last forever. I prefer aluminum with quick release levers to clean riffles and a piece of ribbed rubber mat at the head And expanded metal with indoor out door type carpet under the riffles its easy to clean. The Rubber mat normally catches 90% of the gold Before it reaches the first riffle.Most of all have fun no matter what you decide to use.

Your sluice looks to be la'trappe to me,and if it is then you did good. It takes a lot of water flow to operate it properly so play with your adjustment. It will handle a lot of material pretty quickly so pay close attention to how the material is flowing as I find that crowding the limits of it's abilities works the best. Mine traps 100- very well.

Good luck!

jimbeax

AKA no digem Ed