Nugget Shooter Forums

Keene puffers

~LARGO~

Hi all,

The snow is flying outside, and it will be some time before we can get out to do any drywashing, so that gives me a little time to think about buying a drywasher puffer, as opposed to making one, as indicated by some of my previous posts...

Some of the name commercial units, such as Keene look pretty good, they have years of experience in the field as well as refinements, but then they come with a pretty high price tag, as well, unless a guy can find a good used one. In that case, you are at the mercy and honesty of the seller, if you are taking a chance on buying over the internet, or classifieds, and having a machine shipped to you. Having a return policy and understanding in writing, is always beneficial. I know it was when I used to buy/sell metal detectors.

I see ole Bill S. has a Keene puffer, and I wonder how you like your Keene puffer, Bill? I am genuinely curious. Is the weight much of an issue? I have been curious about the Keene puffer, and how durable the plastic might be over time. Trying to make up my mind to buy or make. Making a puffer takes a lot of time and experimenting, and the end result may/may not be productive. Same with buying a ready to go unit, you just never know until you get it out in the field. Then, the end result is only as good as the material you run through it, and how careful the operator is, in setting up the unit...

I am really open to any make or model, but mainly a puffer appeals to me right now. Just boils down the best bang for the buck...

Feedback???

~LARGO~

I've had the Keene DW212 since around 95-98 i cant remember exactly when i bought it but i've literally done nothing to it since, other than relocating the on/off switch...which kept shutting off when rocks rolling off the hopper would hit it, my riffle cloth has a one inch tear in it,and its been duct taped for some time now, now this is a fairly heavy drywasher which that alone led me to purchase a 17.lb Thompsons...21.lb with motor.Its all aluminum and REALLY moves some dirt so if you think your going to have to haul your drywasher some distance then go LIGHT !! The Keene is Bullet proof and no worries on the plastic at all the only downside is weight. If you want a handcrafted work of art look into an ol'yeller from Frank.

Bucket

Here is a video of one of our Keene "Puffers" at work.

We only use it when people request it because it does not move material as fast as the AZ Desert Gold pocket rockets we usually work with. The puffer will run a almost all day on a motocycle battery, but I can run twice the material with a blower drywasher. - Terry

Hey Gary,

I really like my Keene puffer and it is my second one, the first a friend is still using with original motor and bellows still on it... I have used most of the available gas driven drywashers and prefer the Keene puffer for better super fine gold recovery in my experience. Less crap to tote around, faster setup, and better recovery in my opinion. But that is just me....

Hi all,

Thanks for the in depth answers! Taking time to help a guy with specifics is what

this forum should be, and helps others make decisions how best to spent their

hard earned dollars.

Terry, thanks for posting the video(s). Now I have an idea how those things ca-chunk ca-chunk, or is

it whoompa whoompa??? It is only me that will be using whatever I choose to buy.

Where I will take it requires leaving before daylight, :tisk-tisk: coming back in the dark, :olddude: using only night vision B) setup to navigate the darkness of the night. No lights whatsover. :nono: I even have to blindfold my hound to keep her from tellin' where we were... :inocent:

Bill, the fact that you keep coming back to the product does say something!

I am looking hard at Frank C.'s product, just need to keep him on the job! :thumbsupanim

Gary

Hi all,

Thanks for the in depth answers! Taking time to help a guy with specifics is what

this forum should be, and helps others make decisions how best to spent their

hard earned dollars.

Terry, thanks for posting the video(s). Now I have an idea how those things ca-chunk ca-chunk, or is

it whoompa whoompa??? It is only me that will be using whatever I choose to buy.

Where I will take it requires leaving before daylight, :tisk-tisk: coming back in the dark, :olddude: using only night vision B) setup to navigate the darkness of the night. No lights whatsover. :nono: I even have to blindfold my hound to keep her from tellin' where we were... :inocent:

Bill, the fact that you keep coming back to the product does say something!

I am looking hard at Frank C.'s product, just need to keep him on the job! :thumbsupanim

Gary

If you decide on Keene or Gold Buddy, etc., I do have them available through Nugget Shooter and will also be stocking a Drywasher or 2 at the store in the near future.

Frank does make a good product from what I hear as well...

Hi Bill, and Terry, and Bucket,

Thanks for the information and good wishes.

It will be just me using it, I will be classifying everything before it goes into the machine, since I think that is the way to go, depending on the size of the rocks in the area I would be working.

Bucket, what is your honest take and results on the Thompson machine? I am guessing it is a puffer, too. You can send me a p.m if you prefer...

I have looked at just about every puffer I can find, some are still made, some are not. People can give bad reports on products simply because they didn't follow the instructions properly, and attribute their lack of success on the

machine.

I look how well the product is designed, weight, durability, how field repairable it might be in a pinch, success, and cost.

Got to go, thanks for your input!

Gary

Having a hand crank or lever as most battery operated puffers have can really save the day, blowers are broke when they are broke with no had operating option. :twocents:

Let me say this, I bought an ole'yeller and it does get the fine gold real well. Where I hunt I know the gold to be largle fine gold and have only gotten to use it a time or two. But it got me a decent 1/16 of an inch in the bottom of my 2 dwt vial and thats a good amout of fine gold in the aera I hunt. I have estimated with my old drywasher I made that I get 2 grains of fine gold each day...But the ole' yeller did better.

Having a hand crank or lever as most battery operated puffers have can really save the day, blowers are broke when they are broke with no had operating option. :twocents:

Hi Bill and Jim,

A few weeks back, I went an a store that sells used electronic equipment surplus, military surplus, etc, just came across a handle and crank in good shape, lieing in a box, asked how much it might be, bought it for ninety-nine cents. Don't need it now, but maybe I might sometime in a pinch!

Jim, glad to get some feed back from you on your Old Yeller, Frank C. puts out a fine product, and I have been hoping to hear folks such as yourself tell their story.

Thanks!

Gary

Hi Bill and Jim,

A few weeks back, I went an a store that sells used electronic equipment surplus, military surplus, etc, just came across a handle and crank in good shape, lieing in a box, asked how much it might be, bought it for ninety-nine cents. Don't need it now, but maybe I might sometime in a pinch!

Jim, glad to get some feed back from you on your Old Yeller, Frank C. puts out a fine product, and I have been hoping to hear folks such as yourself tell their story.

Thanks!

Gary

most puffer can be operated with just a rope while a blower isdead...