Nugget Shooter Forums

Question-California Desert

Heading home to California for a family visit. I will be in Palm Springs and don't want to drive too far because i have to convince my wife to go hunting for rocks. Does anyone here know of a strewn field near Palm Springs? I can also take the Cajon pass easily into the high desert accessing the Victorville/Apple Valley area. Any help would be great. Thanks

Well...Franconia and Gold basin are the only well known strewn fields anywhere near there...and they aren't close. There are a number of "dry lakes" scattered over the area and endless areas of desert...be sure you are not trying to collect in state parks or national monuments or military bases...lots of info on previous posts if you do some research...

By the way...I don't have a clue why you would chose such an ego filled name but it puts me off and probably does others as well...I don't have any reason to think you are "awesome" squared...so, for a personal response at least sign your name...or not it is your choice...no disrespect or rudeness intended...

fred

I too am awesomely awesome. So it is great to have another awesome person posting here.

The areas that are most likely to have a meteorite are the OLD ones. Study a map that gives you geological age, and hunt in a spot that has not changed in eons. The constant "rain" of meteorites will show up better on a backgound that has been static for many thousands of years.

Lakebeds are great because they are not only old, they are white. But any old surface will harbor as many mets as a lakebed but may be harder to hunt.

You have a steep learning curve ahead of you. Dont worry so much about finding one at this point than learning what one looks like. Instead of dragging her all over the desert looking for black pebbles take her to a meteorite museum and learn a bit. Split your time between research and hunting. Then when you learn the ropes you wil realize you need to research 90% of the time and hunt 10%!

And keep being awesome!

fred, thanks for the info. the screen name is obviously a joke and you don't see the humor in it. my wife and i were cracking up when i typed it. i wasn't going to call myself "meteoritejack" I actually tried changing it but this site wont let me.

Glad you cleared this up AA. I will now stop ignoring your posts. However, If you come back with a post about an awsome to the third power meteorite find Ill throw my pc in the trash!

Bill C

thanks billybob. i still would like to change the name for dudes who think it's an ego thing. i searched the entire site looking for a way to change it but i can't figure it out, even though i am awesome. i am thinking about changing my name to "cooler than cool" lol, just kidding. i would actually like to change it.

thanks billybob. i still would like to change the name for dudes who think it's an ego thing. i searched the entire site looking for a way to change it but i can't figure it out, even though i am awesome. i am thinking about changing my name to "cooler than cool" lol, just kidding. i would actually like to change it.

Billybob? where in the world did you come up with that? Weird! Many of my friends call me that. Do we know we? I don't like my handle either. I've been looking since day one to change it but cannot find the solution. Might have to live with it, but you sure have a heavier burden than I dohappy0193[1].gif

Bill C

Send an email with changes you want made...

Well AA I had no way of seeing the humour since I don't know you...but I get the idea...most people don't have a clue about my humor either so we have something in common...as I said, no disrepect intended...

AA, you might want to carry a meteorite cane as you walk about...it is the easiest way to make an initial ckeck of suspect stones...

Bob, I think you just love to take the other side of any discussion...you love the fight....but you always have something worthwhile in your replies...

not very awesome but still trying

fred

Well AA I had no way of seeing the humour since I don't know you...but I get the idea...most people don't have a clue about my humor either so we have something in common...as I said, no disrepect intended...

AA, you might want to carry a meteorite cane as you walk about...it is the easiest way to make an initial ckeck of suspect stones...

Bob, I think you just love to take the other side of any discussion...you love the fight....but you always have something worthwhile in your replies...

not very awesome but still trying

fred

I wasnt aware there was another "side" to the discussion, but you are correct I love the fight. I have never been able to walk around one yet. A lot of guys take it personally when I disagree with them. That lets me know I am doing an awesome job!

There was darn sure no offense intended Fred. I dont think I have ever been anyting but tickled with your posts. I think they are awesome!