Nugget Shooter Forums

Vertigo, in some circles they probably went for about $5.00/gram, but today it depends on the size and quantity. Nowadays, probably more like $1.50-2.00 per gram and that's on the high side. Jason ;)

The picture is worth a bunch of money and I have the coords to prove the find. :thumbsupanim And I think it was not even 40 ft from my car door. This was the location . Great Find.

Wayne

That would be it, but it was more like 10 ft from the car! I still can't figure how you didn't trip over it. Too bad you weren't with me last week when I hit a virgin find.

We were hunting for L class stones at this time. This might be an L class Chondrite and that would make it worth much more in the market place. You might ask the question again as I save my L class stones found on the south side. I have given only a few to Larry S. These are Verde mine and others.

Wayne

Well!!!

When you are a guide you give up the great finds to your students who are going to make all the money and fame. Would like the hear the story about the virgin cold finds Etc. PM me or drop on the web site and E me from there. Some guys have all the luck. Do not ever hunt on my side of the car. :angry:

Wayne

We were hunting for L class stones at this time. This might be an L class Chondrite and that would make it worth much more in the market place. You might ask the question again as I save my L class stones found on the south side. I have given only a few to Larry S. These are Verde mine and others.

Wayne

Big Franconia's are NOT selling. Mike Miller has been trying to sell some for many months and ...well....they are still for sale.

Smaller recent sale. 42.5 gram unclassified Franconia whole piece... $80.00

Smaller recent sale. Lab Authenicated H5 OC Francoina, unclassified, unpaired under 10 grams (the piece was actually the one that went to the lab) and included copy of lab authenication went for $2/g.

The days of selling any unclassified H or L or whatever at their value is long gone. And, classification for the public is a thing of the past for the public at large. At franconia, without lab pairing, you could have one of many fragments from multiple falls.

Do some web browsing and study Ebay. You will then see if you really want to sell or not.

Be prepared to basically give them away!

Cheers!

Jim

How would I determine if mine is the L class Wayne? I thought all those Franconia stones were the same H5 composition.

I just went through this process, for my own education on the subject while I am learning about meteorites.

The ONLY way to determine this is through a lab analysis. Franconia has a slight issue in that there has been several classifications in the same area.

In order to classify it would have to be paired with the original study sample/s. Still, it may just be possible to Have meteorite fragments range from H to L in the same meteroid before it pops and it's the ground???

Classification for the general public is no longer an viable option.

Any space rock found that has no traceable classification is unclassified. Best you can do for a least cost analysis is have it Authenicated by an "Expert" which means little to nothing. For self-satisfaction, if you can find someone with an XRF machine, you can have them shoot it and get some good information. Jason did this with one of the Franny irons....or was that a SaW iron. Who knows!!!

If you found it yourself, doesn't mean much to most all buyers. Anyone could take an NWA, throw it in the dirt and say....oh boy....look what I found. I am not saying any one did this or would ever do this, I am just saying. Most any of us here could not tell the difference between an H5 NWA and an H5 Franny by visual inspection. Look at Bouse for a perfect example. Classification is a "B".

However, for your own tests. you can tell the difference between an H or an L looking at a specific area and comparing the free metal within that specific area. An L certainly also has a weaker magnetic attraction.

I bought a pile of NWA's at Tucson for the main purpose of studing. Still I have some I have no clue about....NWA4588 for example. I think I have some, but a lab would have to pair them to be sure....not going to happen unless I buy the lab.

So, if you sell, you will be selling an unpaired, unclassified space rock. And, if your buyers are savvy, they will be asking such questions!

Cheers!

Jim

My inquiry was more curiosity than estate planning. I happened to be involved in a discussion between know-it-alls the other day and wanted the accurate truth ( as opposed to coffeeshop bravado). I doubt I will part with the piece Wayne and I found at any price. That stone has been handled by lots of small hands and is covered with little fingerprints, so many in fact, I'm sure it's valueless. Except maybe to the Kindergartner that said it must be worth " a billion dawwers".

My inquiry was more curiosity than estate planning. I happened to be involved in a discussion between know-it-alls the other day and wanted the accurate truth ( as opposed to coffeeshop bravado). I doubt I will part with the piece Wayne and I found at any price. That stone has been handled by lots of small hands and is covered with little fingerprints, so many in fact, I'm sure it's valueless. Except maybe to the Kindergartner that said it must be worth " a billion dawwers".

Well, I've pretty much decided, for myself, I am not going to sell. However, I wanted to go through the motions (in process) to measure the market and determine if the time and money investment is worth it.

Good deal, there is far more value showing people (especially kids) these rocks than selling them. Franconia's "money making" days were basically when you guys were first finding them all.

Did you put a window in it for the kids to see the insides??

I remain a student of the subject of meteorites.

Speaking of that. Congrads on the cold find! I sure would like to hear the technical aspects of how you found it and how you determined where to look that drew you to that specific area or was it just all luck, how long you looked and your experience on the process of getting it classified, etc. Tell us Please!!!

Jim

Well, I've pretty much decided, for myself, I am not going to sell. However, I wanted to go through the motions (in process) to measure the market and determine if the time and money investment is worth it.

Good deal, there is far more value showing people (especially kids) these rocks than selling them. Franconia's "money making" days were basically when you guys were first finding them all.

Did you put a window in it for the kids to see the insides??

I remain a student of the subject of meteorites.

Speaking of that. Congrads on the cold find! I sure would like to hear the technical aspects of how you found it and how you determined where to look that drew you to that specific area or was it just all luck, how long you looked and your experience on the process of getting it classified, etc. Tell us Please!!!

Jim

Oh I didn't mean meteorites...I was talking about an actual "virgin". I was in Vegas, never seen one there before.