Nugget Shooter Forums

Strewn Feild Maps

Desert Dog,

You can probably get the strewnfield maps at the same place they have the nugget maps. By the way, which one of the strewnfields? Portales Valley? Antarctica? Would you like one for the Canyon Diablo strewnfield? I don't want to be flip but, first, you're not specific, and second, I don't think you know what you're asking for. In some states, some universities that have meteoritics departments gather strewnfield data from the initial hunters, and make maps from them. They may restrict public access to such maps for obvious reasons. Private individuals may may hunt some strewnfields for years and save their coordinates. From their coordinates, they may make private maps. They may restrict public access to their personal maps for obvious reasons. Please start at the beginning, and introduce yourself. This forum has professional hunters, skilled weekend hunters, and newbies. And we ALL were newbies somewhere back in time. I found my first two strewnfields with lots of research/data mining, and a hell of a lot of four-wheeling, and hiking. And there were NO maps. That was eight years ago, when there was a helluva lot LESS information about "strewnfields" on the web. Please try to be specific, and forum members will try to answer you resonably. You can probably hookup with someone depending on your "entry level" (meteorite knowledge, detector type and ability to use it effectively, persistance, initiative), and what state you live in. There is A LOT of information out there.

Ben

I do have the Franconia strewnfield map...It's about 17 miles NS and 8 miles EW ... It's on my website...Cheers, Unc

desertdog56I have searched the NET.Been sent on lots of wild goose chases.HOW CAN I LOCATE STREWN FIELD MAPS...THANKS.

The strewn fields are freely available for use with Google Maps, in the form of KML files. IYou can usually find them on the meteorical bulletins. You can not trust any of them as being the gosphel, only ones thoughts on where it may be in general based on data collected at that time. Often, these fields grow as time goes on and science does not keep up with old strewn field data. I do not have the link but it was easy to find just using google to search.

Hope this helps!

Jim

desertdog56I have searched the NET.Been sent on lots of wild goose chases.HOW CAN I LOCATE STREWN FIELD MAPS...THANKS.

When researching meteorite hunting areas the first place I look is the metbul, the meteoritical bulletin, here:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php

You can search the metbul by state, or by counties in a state, as well as by the name of the meteorite or other things. It will give you locations where known meteorites were found, with lat/lon coordinates that may or may not be accurate as already mentioned by Desertsunburn. You can also put them on google earth as pushpins, a helpful tool.

I find I spend much more time looking on the web and other places for information than I do in the deserts and mountains, but my time in the boonies is better spent after doing the research.

You can also put them on google earth as pushpins, a helpful tool.

I find I spend much more time looking on the web and other places for information than I do in the deserts and mountains, but my time in the boonies is better spent after doing the research.

Speaking of Google Earth, has anyone figured out how to overlay or create multiple vectors on the maps??? I think it can be done.

Jim