Nugget Shooter Forums

SD 2100 strange signals

south fork

I bought a new battery and curly cord Because I had a interment short. So I went on a short test hunt The old machine is a lot Quieter. But something weird was happening while digging a target on a steep hill side I was using a plastic scoop to wave over the coil and every time I moved there was another signal. Thought I had a loose connection the coil was right next to my knee when I waved the coil near ether knee I got a signal. Ive never had any knee surgery or replacements whats happening. I tried my GMT and the same thing. When I came home I tried it with out my jeans on to eliminate the chance of metal in the fabric. Same thing happens tried the GMT and it screams. Now I'm wondering if all the false signals are from my legs and not hot ground? I placed this on several forums looking for answers thanks.

I dont know, however I will say that hunting steep hillsides or any bad angle will cause me severe EMI feedback with my 2200. Also if you are detecting a steep hillside then that means the coil is for sure closer to your body, and the curly cord. Also now keys in your pocket, metal eyelets in your shoes,or maybe something in your front pockets on a shirt can cause signal along with bad EMI. The two combined would be murder. I dont know how a VLF responds to being turned on inside a house , but if it were the 2100 , it would go crazy with all the metal around. It may stay quiet if held perfectly still but just a slight movement will cause feedback. Other than my 2 cents there , I would suggest an X-Ray to solve the mystery.

I had a Gold Bug detecting the iron in my blood or something inside me before. That might be a possibility.

If your in the house that could be one problem...check the coil cover for dirt or water....a short in the

coil cable or head phone cable....

Probably not a good idea to go beeping naked...Catclaw can be hell...

Or maybe you just have to much "lead in your pencil".... :hahaha: :hahaha:

I have no idea what your problem might be, but I did have a similar problem that I figure out.

It turned out to be the connector to the coil cord extension. It is like a "mini coil" and will cause a signal when any metal gets near it. When I swung far to teh right it caused the coil connector to come near the metal "arm cuff" and it made a strong signal.

The detector is not picking up your knees. It is something else.

I have no idea what your problem might be, but I did have a similar problem that I figure out.

It turned out to be the connector to the coil cord extension. It is like a "mini coil" and will cause a signal when any metal gets near it. When I swung far to teh right it caused the coil connector to come near the metal "arm cuff" and it made a strong signal.

The detector is not picking up your knees. It is something else. My detecting partner tried his 3500 near my legs and the same thing happens.

I have a doctors appointment the end of march maybe that will answer my questions. At least I know my detectors are not at fault.

How about this.... one of my dogs, a Golden Retriever (named Nugget of course) will give a perfect mellow gold tone on my GBII and Minelab, go figure!

And I have found that some rattlesnakes will too. Just some of them. When I push them with the coil I have found a few that will give a nice signal. Go figure.

...But my dog does not

And I have found that some rattlesnakes will too. Just some of them. When I push them with the coil I have found a few that will give a nice signal. Go figure.

...But my dog does not

My dog DJ could give a signal on my GB and SD2100... Never did try the newer models and DJ is gone, current dog Ginger is no signal with my sham-wow 5000. I have also gotten a signal from rattlesnakes and desert tortoise...

Sorry to steal your "sham-wow" reference Russ, but I got a genuine belly laugh out of that one and to tell the truth I'd rather not see ya with one :rasberry: